Group of Federation Cottages | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Group of Federation Cottages

Item details

Name of item: Group of Federation Cottages
Other name/s: Wilga, Eddington, Irene, Otago, Kiora, Killara, Dorothy, Etham
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Cottage
Primary address: 6-24 Railway Avenue (even numbers only), Stanmore, NSW 2048
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
6-24 Railway Avenue (even numbers only)StanmoreMarrickville  Primary Address
Stafford and Cardigan StreetsStanmoreMarrickville  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

Group of Federation cottages - Wilga, Eddington, Irene, Otago, Kiora, Killara, Dorothy and Etham, including interiors.

These are a significant group of Federation period buildings which are intact and have not lost their integrity as a group.
Date significance updated: 01 Sep 17
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: not known
Builder/Maker: not known
Construction years: 1902-1902
Physical description: This row comprises 10 identical, single-storey freestanding residences.The front hipped section is tiled with terracotta roof tiles, with iron skillion rear sections. The front elevation is tuckpointed facebrick with a projecting gabled porch with rendered arch, keystone motif, decorative stuccoed scrollwork and timber cutout bargeboard in the Queen Anne style. They all have tessellated tiles verandahs, turned timber verandah posts with a spindle valance. They have wrought iron palisade fences, and are all identified by individual names displayed on the front of the buildings.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good, though in need of repair, maintenance and reinstatement of missing front details in some.
Date condition updated:23 Jun 04
Modifications and dates: Recent security features and additions to rear.

No 10 added a rear deck and pergola in 1995. Nos 6 and 8 underwent extensive internal changes and exterior restoraition in 2004.
Current use: Residences

History

Historical notes: This row of houses lies within the 100 acres known as Kingston Farm which were granted to Thomas Rowley in 1793. The farm was enlarged to become 240 acres in 1803, and after Rowley's death in 1806, the farm was inherited by his three daughters and two sons. The farm was variously subdivided from the 1850s onwards.

The first mention of these terraces in the Sands Directory occurs in 1903, suggesting a construction date of 1902.

Prior to 1903, the owner of the whole block with a 22ft frontage along Railway Ave was recorded in the Council's rate books as Justin McSweeney. Between 1902 and 1908, when the houses were built, the owner was recorded as Thomas Mulholland.

The original house names are as follows:
No 6: Wilga
No 8: Roslyn, then Eddington in 1910
No 10: Otago, later Irene
No 12: Milroy, later Otago
No 14: Moira, later Kiora
No 16: Moana
No 18: Killara
No 20: Karella, then Dorothy in 1910
No 22: Etham
No 24: Egmont.



From 1911 to 1938 the owner was Peter Sutherland, grazier. Then from 1938 to 1973, the owner was Mrs Flora Grant Varcoe (further research is needed to confirm if Flora Varcoe was related to Peter Sutherland and inherited the properties on his death).

In 1973 the properties passed to Andrew Thomas and they were subdivided and sold to six new owners:
Nos 6 and 8 were sold to David and Elise Kaye who retained ownership until January 2004.
Nos 10 and 16 sold to Smart Boys Wear Pty Ltd.
Nos 12 and 14 sold to Josef and Edith Faux of Bellview Hill
No 18 sold to Frederick Morgan
Nos 20 and 22 sold to Sydney Benjamin Brandt-Sarif
No 24 sold to Westlar Pty Ltd.

It would seem that since their construction until at least 1973, the houses were managed as rental properties. In the case of Nos 6 and 8, they continued being rental properties until early 2004. This would account for both their poor level of maintenance and their intactness.

The houses originally had slate roofs (debris taken from the roof cavities have confirmed this). It is thought that the slate was replaced with terracotta roof tiles following a severe storm in the 1950s.

The row was classified by the National Trust of Australia (NSW) in 1988.

In recent years, some of the porperties have undergone internal alteration and the additions of rear decks.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Local
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Local
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Local
Integrity/Intactness: All remain intact and have not lost their integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

General maintenance.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2001 18 May 01 86 
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I26112 Dec 11 2011/645 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19862.22/1AFox and Associates  No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030270Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenBow Design1995Heritage Assessment Statement for No 10
WrittenColin and Patricia Barton2004Statement of Heritage Impact and Fabric Survey for No 6

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030270
File number: 2.22/1A


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.