Victorian Italianate Style Villa - Butleigh, including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Victorian Italianate Style Villa - Butleigh, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: Victorian Italianate Style Villa - Butleigh, including interiors
Other name/s: Butleigh - Victorian Italianate villa
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Villa
Primary address: 8 Simmons Street, Newtown, NSW 2042
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
8 Simmons StreetNewtownMarrickville  Primary Address
Pemell LaneNewtownMarrickville  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

"Butleigh" is of historical significance as the house built in 1878 for Professor Alexander Rea, organist, composer, teacher of music, and Sydney agent for William Hill & Son organ builders (from the 1860s till his death in 1909), responsible for the installation of Hill organs including those at Sydney Town Hall, St Andrews Cathedral Sydney, and the Hunter Baillie Church, Annandale. "Butleigh" is also of historical significance as evidence of 1870s development of the houses of the wealthy in this area in close proximity to the housing of the less well-off. "Butleigh" is of aesthetic significance as a fine representative example of a Victorian Italianate style villa which includes a tower.
Date significance updated: 11 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Freestanding two storey rendered brick Victorian Italianate style mansion with a hipped and gabled concrete tiled roof. The house is set on a large lot, and is setback from the street. The house features ornate gables and elaborate stucco detail. . It has a 3-storey Italianate square tower with a cast iron weathervane and a moulded rosette, which is abutted by a single storey verandah on timber posts with a concave curved corrugated steel roof. The arched windows have ornate hood mouldings with a decorative moulded keystone inset. The roof has decorative moulded eave brackets. The building itself has a sandstone base. The ground floor featuers timber panelled glazed french doors with fanlights above, and timber framed double hung windows. The first floor features timber framed double hung windows with slightly arched heads.
The front fence is a Federation period brick and wrought iron fence. Well-established garden with fountain.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good, and largely intact.
Date condition updated:10 Nov 08
Modifications and dates: Recent concrete tiled roof. Security features. Single storey garage to side and side driveway.
Further information: Draft
Current use: Residence

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
On 8 January 1794 Paul Page, William Jenkins and James Jenkins were each granted 30 acres in the area south of what is now Enmore Road. By 1835 Jenkins’ grant was owned by Captain Sylvester Browne (best known as the father of novelist T.A. Browne, "Rolf Boldrewood") and John Verge designed a house that looked out to Botany Bay. Browne moved to Victoria and by June 1838 the villa, called "Enmore House", was advertised for lease. In June 1840 the entire estate, by now 40 acres, was advertised for sale. The purchaser appears to have been Isaac Simmons.
Simmons subdivided part of the property as the "Beautiful Village of Enmore" in about 1841. This stretched from Juliet Street to Simmons Street. In the vicinity of what is now Metropolitan Road was "Enmore House" itself, which retained 9 acres of grounds. In August 1841 Jacob Josephson (an emancipist who had been transported in 1818) bought "Enmore House" and its grounds from Simmons. On Jacob Josephson’s death in 1845, his son Joshua Josephson, a businessman, politician and later solicitor-general and judge inherited the house.
The remainder of Browne’s property appears to have been bought by Mary Reibey, the emancipist businesswoman (transported for horse-stealing in 1790) who was, by this time, both wealthy and respectable. In the early 1840s she had "Reiby House" built, a villa that stood between what is now Reiby Street and Station Street. In about 1847 "Stanmore House" (between Simmons Street and Reiby Street), probably designed by architect Henry Robertson, was also built for Mary Reiby.
After Mary Reibey’s death in 1855, the Reibey holdings were gradually subdivided. The "Pencilville Estate", stretching from Station Street to Simmons Street had been subdivided in the 1850s, but apparently did not sell as it was re-advertised in 1871. By 1875 a portion was owned by George E. Crane, a Sydney merchant. Crane sold Lot 7 and part of Lot 8 of the "Pencilville Estate" to Professor Alexander Rea for £400 in August 1875. Professor Rea was an organist, composer and teacher of music. He was associated with Sydney University, but did not hold a professorship there, so the origin of his title is obscure. Professor Rea was the Sydney agent for noted British organ-builders William Hill & Son from the 1860s until his death in 1909. The Hill organ installed in the Sydney Town Hall in 1890 was for many years the largest pipe organ in the world. Other important Hill organs in Sydney include one in St Andrews Cathedral and another in the Hunter Baillie Church in Annandale.
Professor Rea had a house built on block in about 1878. He named it "Butleigh", probably in honour of a village in Somerset. He resided there with his family until his death in 1909. After his death, his daughter, Miss Celia Rea, briefly ran a school in the house, but sold it to the wardens of the Christ Church (Anglican), Enmore (now St Luke’s, Enmore), in May 1911. The church used "Butleigh" as a rectory until 1924, when it was sold to William and Eleanor Morrell, who lived there. In 1928 the Morrells sold the house to Dr George Augustus Hardwicke, who had graduated in medicine from Sydney University in 1925. Dr Hardwicke lived in the house and may have used it as a surgery in the post-war years. Dr Keith John McInnes King, who graduated in medicine from Sydney University in 1941, purchased the house in 1949 and used it as a surgery until 1983.
More recent owners include Suzanne and David McCallum (1983-1985) and Walter and Neridah Roseboom (1985-1996).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Of historical significance as the house built in 1878 for Professor Alexander Rea, organist, composer and teacher of music. Professor Rea was the Sydney agent for William Hill & Son organ builders, from the 1860s till his death in 1909, responsible for the installation of Hill organs including those at Sydney Town Hall, St Andrews Cathedral Sydney, and the Hunter Baillie Church, Annandale. "Butleigh" is also of historical significance as evidence of 1870s development of the houses of the wealthy in this area in close proximity to the housing of the less well-off.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
"Butleigh" is of aesthetic significance as a fine Victorian Italianate style villa which includes a tower.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
A fine representative example of a Victorian Italianate style villa.
Integrity/Intactness: The building is largely intact and retains its integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation Management Plan, may be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the façade of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved where present. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2011I16812 Dec 11 2011/645 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19860.52Fox and Associates  No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030275Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030275
File number: 0.52


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.