Federation Arts and Crafts Style House - Leonardi, including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation Arts and Crafts Style House - Leonardi, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: Federation Arts and Crafts Style House - Leonardi, including interiors
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 61 Garnet Street, Dulwich Hill, NSW 2203
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
61 Garnet StreetDulwich HillMarrickville  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The house "Leonardi" is of historical significance for its association with Frederick William Broadhurst, who ran a boatshed on the property (no longer extant) for recreational boating on the Cooks River from 1913,, and was later (1920-1937) a principal in F. Broadhurst & Sons, manufacturers of garden seats, ornamental gates and fences. The property has strong historical association with the original (pre-1950) alignment of the Cooks River in this location.
The property is of aesthetic significance as the house is an example of the Federation Arts & Crafts style - a relatively rare architectural style in the Marrickville local government area - and also unusual for its construction materials of brick, weatherboard and fibre-cement sheeting with slate roofing. Its location adjacent to the Cooks River and within a garden setting featuring substantial mature palms adds to the aesthetic significance of the place.
Date significance updated: 20 Dec 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A freestanding two storey Federation Arts & Crafts style residence on an irregularly shaped lot adjacent to the Marrickville Golf Club land, with the southern (side) elevation facing the Cooks River. The house has a rendered brick undercroft area on the southern side. Walls are fibre-cement clad with timber battens, with horizontal weatherboard aprons to bay windows and oriel windows, and timber shingling to gable ends. The house has a steeply pitched gabled slate roof, with 2 gable ends facing Garnet Street, and a gable end to each side. The 1st floor rooms are within this large roof form. The front gable has a projecting oriel (bay) window on the first floor. Windows are timber framed casements often with a row of small square coloured panes along the top. The bay windows on the ground floor and some side windows have leadlighting. There is a rendered brick balustrade to the front porch. The front fence is of rendered brick posts with roughcast rendered panels, timber picket intill panels and wrought iron gates fronts Garnet Street. The house is set back and features a lush garden containing two species of palms (Washingtonia and Bangalow), grevillea and Bauhinia species.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:17 May 99
Modifications and dates: New gable and new wing.
Current use: Residence

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
The land that 61 Garnet Street stands on was part of 700 acres originally granted in 1803 to Thomas Moore. Thomas Moore was a boatbuilder and landholder, who arrived in 1796. Moore was granted 470 acres in Petersham in 1799. He extended his holdings by purchase to 1920 acres by 1807. Dr Robert Wardell, who had arrived in 1824, purchased Moore’s holdings in the late 1820s and by the time of his death owned about 2500 acres, which was known as the "Petersham Estate". Wardell’s house, "Sara Dell" stood near Parramatta Road, on a site now occupied by Fort Street High School, though most of the "Petersham Estate" was south of Stanmore and New Canterbury Roads, stretching to the Cooks River. Dr Wardell was murdered in 1834 and his estate was divided amongst his relatives. Subdivision of the Petersham Estate was begun in 1848.
By the 1870s Marrickville was a patchwork of villas, market gardens, dairies, brickworks and a small commercial centre on Illawarra Road. The building of a tramway from Marrickville to Dulwich Hill via Marrickville Road in 1889 encouraged suburban subdivisions and with the opening of the Wardell Road Railway Station (now Dulwich Hill) on the Belmore Line in 1895, this trend accelerated.
Garnet Street was subdivided as part of the "St. Aubins Estate, Fernhill" and auctioned on 1 September 1900. What is now 61 Garnet Street was not part of this subdivision, which ended further north. About 1912 the Intercolonial Investment Company subdivided land adjacent in Starkey Street and it appears several blocks were sold fronting an extension of Garnet Street. The furthest south block, immediately adjacent to the Cooks River, was sold to Frederick William Broadhurst. Broadhurst built both a house, which he called "Leonardi", and a boatshed on the property in 1913. There were a number of boatsheds on the Cooks River at this time, reflecting the popularity of recreational boating on the Cooks River.
Broadhurst’s boatshed did not prosper and in about 1920 he set up F. Broadhurst & Sons, manufacturing garden seats. By 1932 they had diversified into ornamental gate and fencing manufacture. Note the wrought iron gates and front fence are likely to be a product of F. Broadhurst & Sons. The property was still in family ownership after Frederick Broadhurst’s death in 1937.
About 1950 the course of the Cooks River was diverted south to cut off the meander, removing the river frontage of 61 Garnet Street. This was part of extensive works to create an 18-hole golf course on Marrickville’s Riverside Park. (http://www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/834-history-of-ewen-park.asp)

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Leisure-Activities associated with recreation and relaxation (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The house "Leonardi" is of historical significance for its association with Frederick William Broadhurst, who ran a boatshed on the property (no longer extant) for recreational boating on the Cooks River, and was later (1920-1937) a principal in F. Broadhurst & Sons, manufacturers of garden seats, ornamental gates and fences. The property has strong historical association with the original (pre-1950) alignment of the Cooks River in this location.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Of aesthetic significance as an example of the Federation Arts & Crafts style, a relatively rare architectural style in the Marrickville local government area, and also unusual for its construction materials of brick, weatherboard and fibre-cement sheeting with slate roofing. Its location adjacent to the Cooks River and within a garden setting featuring substantial mature palms adds to the aesthetic significance of the place. The ornamental wrought iron gates are likely to be a product of F. Broadhurst & Sons, a link to the history of the house.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Federation Arts & Crafts style buildings are relatively rare within the Marrickville LGA
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative of the Federation Arts & Crafts style.
Integrity/Intactness: The building is intact and retains its integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation Management Plan, may be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the façade of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved where present. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls. Significant garden plantings, such as palm trees, should also be retained.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I1412 Dec 11 2011/645 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030365Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030365


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.