Victorian Italianate and Federation Period Semi-detached Pair of Houses | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Victorian Italianate and Federation Period Semi-detached Pair of Houses

Item details

Name of item: Victorian Italianate and Federation Period Semi-detached Pair of Houses
Other name/s: Idalia (No. 4) and Franklyn (No. 6); Victorian semi-detached pair
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 4 and 6 Trade Street, Newtown, NSW 2042
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
4 and 6 Trade StreetNewtownMarrickville  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Victorian italianate and Federation period transitional style semi-detached pair of houses, including interiors.

This pair of houses are of historical significance as investment properties built in 1900 by local entrepreneur William Chown, a founder of the firm of Chown Brothers & Mulholland, galvanized iron and tinware manufacturers. This pair of semi-detached houses are of aesthetic significance as good examples of Victorian terraces in a transitional style (Victorian Italianate with some Federation period detailing) with much of the ornate original detailing intact. While modest, the level of detailing on the facades of these houses is elaborate, including decorative stucco detailing and decorative tile panels. They relate to a row of five terraces opposite at 29-37 Trade Street which were also built for William Chown.
Date significance updated: 01 Sep 17
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The terraces are transitional in style between Victorian Italianate and Federation Queen Anne. The pair of single storey semi-detached houses at 4-6 Trade Street ( opposite the terraces at Nos. 29-37 Trade Street) have retained their original gabled slate roofs but are otherwise identical to the terraces at 29-37 Trade St, and are clearly by the same builder. The semi-detached pair of houses at 4-6 Trade St feature stuccoed brick walls with elaborate stucco detail and painted tiles between and below windows, gable ends with timber fretwork facing the street, asymmetrical facades with bay windows and recessed entry porches with timber spindle freizes. Windows are timber framed double hung. Each house has a small set back from the street, and small front garden with a cast iron palisade front fence.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:03 Nov 08
Further information: Draft

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
In 1793 Lieutenant Thomas Rowley, who had served as Adjutant to Francis Grose in the New South Wales Corps, was granted 100 acres at Petersham. This was enlarged by 70 acres in 1794 and by the time of Rowley’s death in 1806 it was 240 acres. He named it Kingston Farm, after Kingston upon Thames, which is thought to have been his place of origin.
East of Kingston Farm was 200 acres that was granted to the trustees of the Female Orphan Institution in 1801. They exchanged it for 1,000 acres in Bathurst and it was re-granted to William Bligh in 1806. Bligh named it Camperdown, after the celebrated Battle of Camperdown, in which he took part. After Bligh’s death in 1817 his property, including Camperdown, was left to his six surviving daughters. In 1827 a racecourse was opened on part of the grant where Royal Prince Alfred Hospital now stands. Disputes arose regarding the validity of some of Bligh’s land grants, especially one in Parramatta. At length in February 1841 Sir Maurice O’Connell (Bligh’s son-in-law) negotiated a settlement whereby the heiresses surrendered their claim to the Parramatta land but the titles to the other grants were confirmed. Camperdown, also known as "The Old Racecourse", was immediately subdivided into "FIFTY ALLOTMTMENTS, varying in extent from one acre and twenty-four porches, to six acres three roods and six perches, to the notice of the Australian public, the Auctioneer deems himself unable, through the medium of an advertisement, to do justice to it’s numerous advantages"(The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, 1 April 1841) and the sale raised more than £25,000.
Kingston Farm passed to Rowley’s children after his death in 1806, and by 1841 the house stood on 17 acres when Samuel Lyons advertised the "Remaining portion of the KINGSTON FARM, with the DWELLING-HOUSE erected thereon, together with the several detached buildings, namely, Cooking-house, Servants' Rooms, Gig-house, Stables, & co.The extent of the Homestead is six acres one rood and six perches, the greater portion of which is in cultivation as a Garden and Orchard, but the commits of the whole intended for Sale, are sevonteen acres, one rood and thirty perches.It seldom happens that such an eligible property as the foregoing is brought to the barrier, and in this particular instance, Mr. LYONS earnestly invites the personal inspection of intending purchasers, being satisfied that few (if any) situations can be found, within so short a distance of the town, commanding, as Kingston does, so many advantages for A First-rate Home-stead, or an establishment for a family of the highest respectability, as this portion of the KINGSTON GRANT. It is surrounded by the splendid Estates of CAMPERDOWN ANNANDALE, and the well known and highly esteemed properties of James Holt, Esq., and that portion of Kingston, lately purchased by Messrs. Jones and Dacre; it is also in the immediate vicinity of the Glebe Land, Grose Farm, &c.The public have lately given such sufficient proof of their estimation of land in the neighbourhood, of Kingston, that the Auctioneer dopa not feel himself called upon to offer any remarks upon its value, being satisfied that it will realise all the expectations of its proprietor; and parties desirous of possessing so valuable an acquisition to their comfort as the Desirable Retreat of Kingston." (The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, Tuesday 20 July 1841, p. 3)
In December 1854 Mort & Co. auctioned 190 acres of Kingston Farm as the Kingston Estate (later known as North Kingston), in anticipation of the opening of the railway in 1855. Advertised as "on the Newtown Railway Station", it stretched from the railway to Parramatta Road and was bounded by the Camperdown Estate in the east and St Marys Lane in the west. It included the site of the first Newtown Railway Station, which stood in Station Street, off Enmore Road. This enormous estate, with its narrow streets and tiny blocks, set the pattern for the dense settlement of Newtown.
About 1899 William Chown purchased 12 Albert Street, a large property on the corner of Trade Street. Chown had been living at 43 Rowley Street, Camperdown and he moved to his new property in 1900. William Chown was a founder of the firm of Chown Brothers & Mulholland, who were galvanized iron and tinware manufacturers. The Chown Brothers & Mulholland works had originally been in Erskineville, but by this time the firm had moved to Ultimo.
William Chown subdivided a portion of the Albert Street property and had two semi-detached cottages built facing Trade Street. The cottages were named "Idalia" (4) and "Franklyn" (6) and were rented out. By 1904 William Chown had moved to "Hillcrest" in Trafalgar Street, Stanmore.
By 1920 the cottages had been transferred to William Chown’s sons, Frank E. and Afred E. Chown. The Chowns sold to Harold R. Shaw by 1932, who still owned them in 1948. By 1943 all the properties facing Albert Street, between Trade Street and Bedford Lane had been demolished and replaced by factories. These factories have recently been demolished and replaced by townhouses.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Of historical significance as investment properties built 1900 by local entrepreneur William Chown, a founder of the firm of Chown Brothers & Mulholland, galvanized iron and tinware manufacturers.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Of aesthetic significance as good examples of late Victorian terraces in a transitional style (Victorian Italianate with some Federation period detailing) with much of the ornate original detailing intact. While modest, the level of detailing on the facades of these houses is elaborate, including decorative stucco detailing and decorative tile panels. They relate to a row of five terraces opposite at 29-37 Trade Street which have been designed by the same builder, and together with the five terraces opposite, form a significanct streetscape group.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative of housing styles transitional between the Victorian and Federation periods.
Integrity/Intactness: The buildings are intact and retain their integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation Management Plan, may be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the façade of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved where present. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I17412 Dec 11 2011/645 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030454


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.