Victorian Italianate Corner Shop and Adjacent Pair of Victorian Terrace Houses | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Victorian Italianate Corner Shop and Adjacent Pair of Victorian Terrace Houses

Item details

Name of item: Victorian Italianate Corner Shop and Adjacent Pair of Victorian Terrace Houses
Other name/s: Evans' shop, Roslyn (40 Illawarra Rd) and Rosalia (42 Illawarra Rd)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 40, 42 and 44 Illawarra Road, Marrickville, NSW 2204
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
40, 42 and 44 Illawarra RoadMarrickvilleMarrickville  Primary Address
Charles StreetMarrickvilleMarrickville  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

Victorian italianate corner shop and adjacent pair of Victorian terrace houses, including interiors.

Evan's shop (44 Illawarra Road) built 1894 by Thomas R. Evans (probably a builder of Smith Street, Summer Hill), and the pair of terraces "Roslyn" (40 Illawarra Road) and "Rosalia" (42 Illawarra Road), built on vacant land adjacent to the shop, again by Thomas R. Evans, in 1911, are of historical significance as evidence of incremental development over time in the late 19th and early 20th century by a single builder (whose family retained ownership of the group till at least 1921). The terraces are extremely old-fashioned for their period of construction, presumably as they were built to match the design of the earlier corner shop. In this regard the form of the buildings reflects their historical development. The group of corner shop and terraces is evocative of past retailing practices and lifestyles.The corner shop and pair of terraces are of aesthetic significance as a Victorian Italianate style corner shop with Victorian Filigree style terraces with unified cornice and pediment detailing, reflecting their construction by the same owner/builder, (despite a time gap between the construction of the shop and the terraces). Nos. 42-44 are locally rare as very late examples of the Victorian Filigree style. The corner shop and terraces are representative of the Victorian Italianate and Victorian Filigree styles of architecture.
Date significance updated: 01 Sep 17
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: Thomas R. Evans, builder
Construction years: 1894-1911
Physical description: Nos. 40- 42 Illawarra Road are a pair of two storey rendered brick Victorian Filigree style semi-detached terraces with parapet detail matching that on No. 44 Illawarra Road. The parapet is simple, with a projecting corbel, but with an arched pediment above the party wall with the render decorated in imitation of sparrow-picked sandstone. Each terrace has a two storey verandah/balcony structure with cast iron frieze and balustrade to No. 42, and corrugated steel skillion balcony roofs. The ground floor façade of each house features a pair of narrow timber framed double hung window, and a timber panelled entry door with fanlight. The first floor façades feature a glazed timber panelled door with sidelights and fanlights. All openings have stucco drip moulds above. The fin walls of the terraces are decordated with imitation vermiculation and stucco brackets. No. 42 has a timber picket front fence. No. 40 has a low front fence, being a brick retaining wall metal fencing above. The balcony to No. 40 has been enclosed with fibro panelling and glazing.
No. 44 Illawarra Road is a two storey Victorian Italianate style corner shop with rendered brick imitation ashlar coursed walls and a parapet concealing the roof and stepping down along the Charles Street frontage of the building. The building has a splayed corner and a suspended awning wrapping around the corner. The building is built to both street frontages, with a skillion roofed rear section visible from Charles Street. The main entry door to the splayed corner is a timber panelled pair of narrow entry doors with a fanlight above. Ground floor shop windows are fixed and timber framed. The entry doorway features a bullnose threshold. The first floor windows are timber framed double-hung. The parapet is simple but features an arched pediment with the render decorated in imitation of sparrow-picked sandstone.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:27 Nov 08
Modifications and dates: Balcony enclosed to No. 40, Front fences of Nos. 40-42 are not original. Balcony balustrade to No. 42 appears modern. Skillion balcony roofs to Nos. 40-42 are a replacement of original covex curved balcony roofs (evidence on fin walls).Rendering appears to have been recently renewed to No. 44. Skillion balcony roofs to Nos. 40-42 are a replacement of original covex curved balcony roofs (evidence on fin walls).

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
Thomas Moore was a boatbuilder and landholder, who arrived in 1796. He was granted 1170 acres in Petersham, which he extended by purchase to 1920 acres by 1807. Dr Robert Wardell, who had arrived in 1824, purchased Moore’s holdings in the late 1820s and by the time of his death owned about 2500 acres, which was known as the "Petersham Estate". Wardell’s house, "Sara Dell" stood near Parramatta Road, on a site now occupied by Fort Street High School, though most of the "Petersham Estate" was south of Stanmore and New Canterbury Roads, stretching to the Cooks River. Dr Wardell was murdered in 1834 and his estate was divided amongst his relatives. Subdivision of the Petersham Estate was begun in 1848.
A portion of the Petersham estate was subdivided as the "Sydenham Estate" in anticipation of the opening of the Sydney to Parramatta railway and advertised for sale, with an auction on 9 October 1854. The area immediately to the south of the "Sydenham Estate", south of Stanmore Road, was subdivided in 1854 as the "Norwood Estate". Stretching from Albert Street to Livingstone Road, and south to Addison Road, it enjoyed views to Botany Bay and was advertised as suitable for villas, cottages and business premises. South of Addison Road was the Norwood Dairy, which was gradually subdivided from the 1880s onwards. The "Marrickville Estate" was subdivided in 1855, centred around the intersection of Illawarra Road and Chapel Street.
By the 1870s Marrickville was a patchwork of villas, market gardens, dairies, brickworks and a small commercial centre on Illawarra Road, where the first Marrickville Town Hall was built. The building of a tramway from Marrickville to Dulwich Hill via Marrickville Road in 1889 encouraged suburban subdivisions and with the opening of the Wardell Road (now Dulwich Hill) and Marrickville railway stations on the Belmore Line in 1895 and the electrification of the tram line in 1900, this trend accelerated. With the improvements to transport, the commercial centre of Marrickville moved from Illawarra Road to Marrickville Road.
In about 1894 Thomas R. Evans, probably a builder of Smith Street, Summer Hill, built a shop on the corner of Charles Street, opposite "Tunneyfall Terrace", which had been built in about 1884. The shop did not have a residence and was built to the corner alignment with part of Evans’ block left vacant. By 1900 the shop was leased to Philip Walters, a bootmaker. Between 1903 and 1906 the property was transferred to Thomas Evans’ wife, Rosette Evans. About 1910 Thomas Evans was running a grocery store in the shop.
About 1911 two terraces were built on the vacant portion of the block. Built of rendered brick, they were extremely old-fashioned, compared to the Federation-style housing that was common in Marrickville at this time. Given the stylistic similarities with the shop (particularly the cornice and pediment details), it seems likely that they were designed by Evans to match his earlier building. The terraces were named "Roslyn" (40 Illawarra Road) and "Rosalia" (42 Illawarra Road), presumably variations on Rosette Evans’ name, and were leased out. By 1915 the Misses Peterkin were running a dressmaking business in the shop. All properties were still in Rosette Evans’ ownership in 1921.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Evan's shop (44 Illawarra Road) built 1894 by Thomas R. Evans (probably a builder of Smith Street, Summer Hill), and the pair of terraces "Roslyn" (40 Illawarra Road) and "Rosalia" (42 Illawarra Road), built on vacant land adjacent to the shop, again by Thomas R. Evans, in 1911, are of historical significance as evidence of incremental development over time in the late 19th and early 20th century by a single builder (whose family retained ownership of the group till at least 1921). The terraces are extremely old-fashioned for their period of construction, presumably as they were built to match the design of the earlier corner shop. In this regard the form of the buildings reflects their historical development. The group of corner shop and terraces is evocative of past retailing practices and lifestyles.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The corner shop and pair of terraces are of aesthetic significance as a Victorian Italianate style corner shop with Victorian Filigree style terraces with unified cornice and pediment detailing, reflecting their construction by the same owner/builder, (despite a time gap between the construction of the shop and the terraces).
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Nos. 42-44 are locally rare as very late examples of the Victorian Filigree style.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The corner shop and terraces are representative of the Victorian Italianate and Victorian Filigree styles of architecture.
Integrity/Intactness: While the shop appears to have been re-rendered recently, the shop and terraces are relatively intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation Management Plan, may be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the façade of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.Opening up of enclosed balconies and reinstatement of original detail should be encouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I9012 Dec 11 2011/645 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030457


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.