Heslington | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Heslington

Item details

Name of item: Heslington
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Homestead building
Primary address: , Terry Hie Hie, NSW 2400
Local govt. area: Moree Plains
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
 Terry Hie HieMoree Plains  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The building dates from the key period of development of the surrounding areas of Moree. It is an outsanding example of a Federation bungalow homestead which makes a positive contribution to the area.
Date significance updated: 31 Aug 07
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The building is symmetrical and constructed of timber weatherboards, timber double hung and casement windows and timber panelled doors and a dominant gambrel style corrugated metal roof which extends to form a wide verandah which surrounds the house with boxed bay windows at each front corner. The central entry is highlighted by a steeply pitched bracketed gable which features timber fretwork detailing and ridge crest. The wide verandah is supported on timber posts with decorative timber brackets. The interior features a wide central hallway with timber panelled walls and dado rail and decorative pressed metal ceilings throughout the principal rooms.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building is in good condition with a high degree of original fabric intact.
Date condition updated:31 Aug 07
Modifications and dates: The building has been little altered since originally constructed.

History

Historical notes: The first white settlement on the bend in the Mehi River where the town of Moree is now located probably occurred in the 1830s when a pastoral station was established there. Moree was described in 1848 as a 23 040-acre station, on the Big River in the Gwydir Pastoral District. James Cox held the licence. By the time Galloway’s survey was done in 1850 Parnell had taken over this cattle station on the western bank of the river where Moree is now located. A paddock marked on the northern side of a bend in the river is where land was later reserved for public purposes.

Many early settlers to the district, such as James and Mary Brand came from the Liverpool Plains. In the early 1850s this couple, with three small children, opened a general store and pound on the banks of the Mehi River. The settlement at Moree, described as a place with a ‘reasonably reliable water supply at the junction of several roads’, was becoming a busy locality. In March 1859 ‘squatters, managers and employees’ of the Gwydir District signed a petition to the NSW Government asking for a town, that would be ‘of great public benefit’, to be surveyed and allotments offered for sale at Moree situated on the Meei, or Gwydir River, on the road from the Barwan River to Warialda, and Bingera, about 45 miles west of Warialda, in the Gwydir District, County of Courallie.

After Surveyor Oliver completed a preliminary survey, a town of 530 acres with suburban boundaries of 1500 acres was gazetted in February 1862. The first land sale took place in Warialda the following June and some of the building had already been constructed on land that was to be reserved for sale. Surveyor Oliver was determined that the riverside Allotments 53 and 42, despite the buildings there – planned and actual - should be reserved, particularly Allotment 42, which ‘affords the only approach to the crossing places, the banks of the Meei being in other places very steep’. Early maps show the first buildings and chart the early development of the town.

By the mid-1870s Moree was described as a ‘small township on the Mehi River’. It may have had only about 100 inhabitants but was considered a ‘rapidly increasing community’. There were two general stores (and two more under construction), a post office, a police station, a ‘very rustic court house’, a ‘small provincial school’, a ‘capital’ racecourse and a ‘few nice residences’.

The town had become incorporated in 1890 with the first council elections held on 28 February 1891. Around this time some substantial public buildings were constructed in the town including the original Post Office, Courthouse, Hospital, School of Arts and the Lands Department Building in Frome St.

On 3 December 1928, and again ten days later, two disastrous fires swept through the central business part of Moree with the greatest destruction in Heber and Balo Streets where hotels, business houses and residences were destroyed. As a result of these fires, this part of town was rebuilt in the then fashionable Art Deco style resulting in a remarkably uniform and cohesive town centre and streetscape indicating Moree’s resilience and prosperity.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Pastoralism-Activities associated with the breeding, raising, processing and distribution of livestock for human use (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building has historic significance as it dates from the key period of rural development of the Moree area..
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building has aesthetic significance as an outstanding example of a Federation Bungalow style homestead which demonstrates many of the key aspects of the style including timber fretwork detailing and panelling, and box bay windows with coloured muti panes.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
It is unlikely that the site would reveal further information that would contribute to the significance of the area.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The homestead is rare for its style and intergrity in Moree.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a representative example of a Federation Bungalow homestead found in the north west area of NSW.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and/or Heritage Impact Statement should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the facade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, shall not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the Moree Plains Shire Council Development Control Plans.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan 199512 May 95 0572418
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Moree Plains Community Based Heritage Study2007 INHERITage  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2050019


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.