Taronga Zoo - Upper & Lower Entrance Gates, Elephant House, Aviary, Floral Clock | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Taronga Zoo - Upper & Lower Entrance Gates, Elephant House, Aviary, Floral Clock

Item details

Name of item: Taronga Zoo - Upper & Lower Entrance Gates, Elephant House, Aviary, Floral Clock
Other name/s: Taronga Zoological Park
Type of item: Complex / Group
Primary address: Bradleys Head Road, Taronga Zoo, Mosman, NSW 2088
Parish: Willoughby
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Mosman

Boundary:

The Zoo Property Boundary
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Bradleys Head Road, Taronga ZooMosmanMosmanWilloughbyCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

A major social facility and entertainment and recreational venue for Sydney, with international prominence. Recognised as the leading Australian zoo facility. It contains some remarkable and unusual structures, many of them deliberately exotic or grand in their presentation. It demonstrates present and past zoological practices, both for the exhibits and the manner in which they are displayed. It remains a prominent landscape feature in Sydney Harbour.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Various
Builder/Maker: Public Works Department
Physical description: Various. Inter-War, Exotic. A large Zoological park covering 42 acres of land, enclosed by stone, concrete and wire mesh fencing. It has upper and lower entrances and numerous interesting and significant structures as well as exhibits. Main items include the Entrance Buildings, the Elephant House, Aquarium, Floral Clock, Aviaries and rustic landscaping elements.

History

Historical notes: Sydney's original zoo was established in 1800 on seven acres of land at Billy Goat Swamp in Moore Park where Sydney Girls' High School was subsequently built. The Zoo was operated by the Royal Zoological Society of NSW. By the beginning of this century, the Zoo had outgrown its site and plans were made to exchange the land to Aston Park at Mosman. The Mosman land was dedicated for the purposes of zoological gardens on 12th April 1912. It appears that the original work was carried out by private contractors for the Royal Zoological Society. In 1915 however, the Public Works Department took over the construction. The Zoo was officially opened on 7 October, 1916 under the control of the Taronga Zoological Park Trust. The Zoo is now administered by the Zoological Parks Board of New South Wales.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This item is aesthetically rare statewide. This item is historically rare statewide. This item is scientifically rare statewide. This item is socially rare statewide.
Integrity/Intactness: Intact
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanUpper & Lower Entrance Gates, Elephant House, etc 09 Dec 11 41 
Local Environmental Plan - Lapsed G&M   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Pittwater Road Review2001 Kim Ketelby  Yes
 0062 TB 5/96 No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2060062
File number: 062


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.