Group of 4 Residential Buildings | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage


Group of 4 Residential Buildings

Item details

Name of item: Group of 4 Residential Buildings
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 5, 7, 9 & 11 Raglan Street, Mosman, NSW 2088
Parish: Willoughby
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Mosman


Site boundaries
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
5, 7, 9 & 11 Raglan StreetMosmanMosmanWilloughbyCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The buildings are an important early example of the early Federation era development of this section of Mosman and form part of a cohesive group of Federation era development on Curraghbeena Point which is prominent in vistas from the harbour and from opposite in Little Sirius Cove.
Date significance updated: 12 May 06
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.


Designer/Maker: No. 5 - Possibly Florence Taylor
Builder/Maker: No, 7, 9 & 11 - George Gardiner
Physical description: The style of the four buildings is Federation and Federation Queen Anne.

No. 11 was built c. 1904 and Nos. 5, 7 & 9 built in 1905.

5 Raglan Street - Two storey Federation style house of red face brickwork with tuckpointing and areas of shingled wall and infill. The present roof is a modern replacement in glazed terracotta. Flying gables are supported off shaped timber brackets similar to the work of Florence Taylor. The chimneys have been removed. Unusual glazed tower structure on the SE corner with shingled turret roof. Sympathetic garage to Raglan Street façade. Cast iron palisade fence to Raglan Street.

Nos. 7 & 9 Raglan Street - An unusual pair of two-storey semi-detached houses located on Curraghbeena Point. Select common brick over rockface sandstone base with stone window and door trims. Roof replaced with cement tiles, later modifications to Raglan Street frontage. Cohesive character with adjoining houses.

No. 11 Raglan Street - A two storey house with complex roof forms, the front verandah to the harbour view. The building is built of face select commons with coloured brick sills and lintels. The roof has been replaced with modern cement tiles and a later sympathetic addition has been made to the Raglan Street frontage.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Date condition updated:11 May 06
Modifications and dates: Various


Historical notes: Part of Samuel Letsom's original 2 acre grant (Lot 1 of the Parish) made 3rd August 1842. The land was subdivided by Richard Hayes Harnett at the turn of the 20th century.

No. 5 Raglan Street was purchased from the London Bank of Australia limited as Mortgagee exercising Power of Sale to Alfred Saunders, a jeweller of Sydney, in 1904. Saunders is known to have built large numbers of speculative houses throughout Sydney and many of these are thought to have been designed by Australia's first woman architect and engineer, Florence Parsons, later Taylor. The house changed hands several times until it was managed in the Estate of Henry Green by The Perpetual Trustees. Henry Green is registered as living here in 1930. In 1947 it was sold to Norman Wood and in 1962 a share was purchased by Donald Avery. First Sands Directory listing for this property was 1900 when occupied by J K Hunter.

Nos. 7 & 9 Raglan Street - Land sold by Richard Hayes Harnett to Elizabeth Gardiner, wife of George Gardiner of Burrawang, in 1905. The Gardiners also owned the adjoining lot to the north (see 11 Raglan Street) and built the buildings which now occupy all three sites. The two houses were in one ownership until 1961 when they were jointly purchased by Leonard Gentle, an accountant. They were transferred to individual ownership of the present owners in 1975.

No. 11 Raglan Street - Land sold by Richard Hayes Harnett to George Alfred Gardiner of Burrawang in 1903. The house, built by Gardiner, passed to William Bellamy and Leonard Poole in 1933 and was held as an investment until it was sold to Winifred Avery in 1961. The Avery family held the property from that time until the death of Mr Avery in December 2000.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Representing the early 20th Century development of Mosman as a residential suburb adjoining the harbour.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Cohesive group of two storey housing in the Federation styles.
SHR Criteria g)
Representative of typical residential development of Mosman.
Integrity/Intactness: Modified
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.


Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanGroup of 4 houses 09 Dec 11 179 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Pittwater Road Review2001 Kim Ketelby  Yes

References, internet links & images


Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2061293

Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.