"Mudgee Club", House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

"Mudgee Club", House

Item details

Name of item: "Mudgee Club", House
Other name/s: House - Kojinup
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 26 Market Street, Mudgee, NSW 2850
Local govt. area: Mid-Western Regional
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT23DP68326
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
26 Market StreetMudgeeMid-Western Regional  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

A well known quality Mudgee corner building constructed in c. 1906 as a dentist’s residence and surgery and now used as a commercial office. Believed to be designed by local architect Harold Hardwick it is a fine Edwardian building with a dual pitch Dutch gabled corrugated iron roof flared out over the front and side returned verandah. A decorative gable facing Market Street features the ‘sunrise’ motif. Excellent verandah detail with timber turned posts and delicate cast iron post brackets. The original brick chimneys with upper corbelling remain.
The building has good presence due to its location on a street intersection and contributes to the streetscapes of Market and Lewis Streets.
The kerb and gutter adjacent in Lewis Street include wide spoon drains constructed in part with large ‘lucky’ river stones. It dates from the early to mid-Victorian period of the Dickson’s emporium, that used to stand on the site, and warehouse opposite. In Market Street the brick kerb dates from the early 20th C. (Ref Snapshots MWRC)
Date significance updated: 31 Dec 19
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Architect Harold Hardwick
Construction years: 1906-1908
Physical description: Edwardian corner house Brown Brick Flemish Bond, Red rubbed flat arched heads to openings. Hugh roof flared over verandah and extending between two gabled ends and decorated with cast iron braces. Double hung windows in single panes. Four panel glazed entrance door with glazed sidelights. High brick chimneys with corbelled tops.
Modifications and dates: Boarded verandah balustrade. (Inappropriate)
Further information: Building in Vernacular Brick from early 1900's.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMid-Western Regional LEP 2012I11610 Aug 12   
Heritage study     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenBarbara Hickson2018Snapshot: Statements of Significance

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2070116


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.