"Loneragans", House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

"Loneragans", House

Item details

Name of item: "Loneragans", House
Other name/s: Heaton Lodge
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 18 Mortimer Street, Mudgee, NSW 2850
Parish: Mudgee
County: Wellington
Local govt. area: Mid-Western Regional
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
 2 DP836115
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
18 Mortimer StreetMudgeeMid-Western RegionalMudgeeWellingtonPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The original house section at Heaton Lodge dates from the 1860s when owned by the Cox family, and then by Loneragan who was a prosperous local merchant. The name Heaton stems from an early partnership of Loneragan’s (Heaton & Loneragan) and was his wife’s maiden name.
The house, although commenced in the early Victorian era, has had many additions including in 1885, 1901, 1926 and again in 1950s. The 1901 additions were designed by Harold Hardwick. Its appearance reflects the Federation period, Hardwick’s influence in 1901, and by the 1950 additions. These include face brick pavilions with hipped roofs lined with pseudo slate tiles, large dormer windows, face brick walls and wide verandahs. Windows vary from large modern glazing to original double hung windows of the golden proportion.
The house is located within a large landscaped garden and Paul Sorenson, a noted landscape gardener, contributed to the layout in the 1930s and 50s. Details include curved driveways, generous lawns, stone walls, and park like clumps of advanced trees. (Ref: Snapshot MWRC)
Date significance updated: 31 Dec 19
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Harold Hardwick (1901 alterations and additions)
Construction years: 1860-
Physical description: Large Federation Brown Brick House altered substantially in 1950's (possibly by Kenneth McConnell, Architect). The pavillioned roofs with linked verandahs faces north to the river resulting in an elevation of repose and deep shade. The hose forms the centre piece of an estate with ornamental buildings and gateways introduced into a park landscape of clumped trees (mostly deciduous), lawns curved driveways and rustic stone bridge.
Further information: The landscaping is possibly the work of E.Sorenson. House and estate of Loneragans, prosperous local merchant family from Post Gold Rush Expansion Period of 1880's.
Integrity - Fair. Condition - Good.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMid-Western Regional LEP 2012I14910 Aug 12   
Heritage study     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenBarbara Hickson2018Snapshot: Statements of Significance

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2070149


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.