Newcastle Gas Co. Office | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Newcastle Gas Co. Office

Item details

Name of item: Newcastle Gas Co. Office
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Utilities - Gas
Category: Other - Utilities - Gas
Primary address: 1 Chatham Road, Hamilton North, NSW 2292
Local govt. area: Newcastle
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1 Chatham RoadHamilton NorthNewcastle  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The Office and Laboratory of the former gas making site of the City of Newcastle Gas and Coke Co Ltd is significant at the local level as an example of the enterprising approach to the supply of gas by City of Newcastle at the turn of the century. The building is a fine example of the work of Thomas J Pepper, who was an important architect in Newcastle at the turn of the 20th century. The gas company site is also historically important as it demonstrates the use of gas making technology from the late 19th century and is also indicative of a population boom across Newcastle in the first two decades of the 20th century. The National Trust noted in their assessment that the building is a fine example of Federation style applied to a commercial building. The internal fabric is notable as it is relatively intact.
Date significance updated: 20 Apr 15
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Thomas J Pepper
Builder/Maker: City of Newcastle Gas and Coke Company Ltd
Construction years: 1911-
Physical description: Brick construction with sandstone used for decoration. Includes pump house and fence. At each end of building is a carved stone torch symbolising gas as fuel. National Trust - Embodies many decorative features of Queen Anne or Federation Style.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Interim measures put in place in 2013-2014 including hoarding windows and removing vegetation to secure the building against further arson and vandalism attacks.
Modifications and dates: EJE designed a sympathetic adaptive re-use in 1995. The conversion allowed the building to be occupied. It has been vacant since at least 2001 (time of writing 2015).
Current use: Vacant (2015)

History

Historical notes: The City of Newcastle Gas and Coke Company Ltd was established in 1866 by a group of enterprising business people, and the company survived for over 100 years with sustained growth. It first supplied domestic gas lighting on 26 October 1867, after which it obtained the government contracts for lighting the streets of Newcastle and Honeysuckle Point railways as well as jetties, wharves, railway crossings and Post and Telegraph offices. The streets of Newcastle were lit for the first time in 1875 and in the 1890's, gas cooking was introduced. Continued demand led to the purchase in 1910 of the land at Clyde Street and the opening of major new works, adjacent to the railway line.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I16315 Jun 12 64 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Newcastle Heritage Study199069Unknown  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2170069
File number: 69


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.