Convent of Mercy | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Convent of Mercy

Item details

Name of item: Convent of Mercy
Other name/s: Kenilworth Then Convent of Mercy Now Australian International Conservatorium Of
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Convent/Nunnery
Primary address: 33 Allen Street, Harris Park, NSW 2150
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT6 DP13579
LOT7 DP13579
LOT7 DP13579
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
33 Allen StreetHarris ParkParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Kenilworth, at 33 Allen Street, is of significance for Parramatta LGA for historical and aesthetic reasons, for its associations with Arthur Latimer McCredie who built it, for its long association with Sisters of Mercy, and as a rare example of highest quality architectural design in Parramatta area. The house is a local landmark, makes a paramount contribution to the area character, and can be described as potentially the most aesthetically appealing building in Harris Park.
Date significance updated: 07 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1889-
Physical description: Two storey Victorian Italianate residence. Key features include full length sash windows, ornate iron lacework to the balcony, slate roof and bullnose verandah, central Romanesque style tower, gables with finials and turned timber verandah posts. Rendered brick walls have sandstone markings and quoins, string lines and paterie in arched entrances. Narrow eaves with bracketed corbels. Roof construction is asymmetrical "tortured roof" of many shapes. A segmented hip roof to front elevation and gabled roof to side both with faceted bays. A tall two-storey tower above the roof line has a pyramid slate roof. Five rendered brick chimneys with cornice decoration and dentils below, with Chinese lanterns surviving on rear chimney only. Verandah has bullnose corrugated iron roof with hip corners around segmented and gabled bays over return verandah both sides across front to projecting gables. Verandah floor is of black and white diagonal tiles with rolled sandstone edging, verandah supports are cast iron Corinthian fluted columns, stamped at base "A. T. Rees, Camdenville, Newtown". Verandah decoration includes cast iron brackets, frieze and balustrade to upper floor verandah, dentils below balustrade along fascia between floors across verandah. Windows have sills of rendered brick with bracket decoration, and painted decorated concrete lintels over windows (also above doors). Exterior doors: Side entrance has fanlight above plain 4 panelled timber door in east elevation. Front door has stained glass and leadlight transom lights and sidelights flanking four-panelled timber door with two upper panels in mottled glazing. Fence is spatterdash brick fence and piers, soldier brick coping connected by timber rail. Garden with mature trees strongly contributes to the item's setting. Additions inlcude internal doors in main hall, all having stained glass upper panels. Other features: the house once had cast iron balustrade around a "widow's walk", later removed.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.
Further information: Subd plans (ML) - Harris Park

History

Historical notes: Land subdivided and auctioned on 31 May 1884. Built c.1880s. Shown on Water Board plan of 1914 set in extensive grounds. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Land subdivided in May 1884. | Built on an elevated part of Parramatta facing south towards Granville, the mansion house was designed and built by Arthur Latimer McCredie, an architect and consulting engineer who went into partnership with his brother George developing most of the important ports on the coast of Queensland and many public facilities in NSW. Arthur was an alderman in Parramatta Borough Council. He also designed a large house for his brother on his property in Guildford. I assume that Kenilworth was built facing George's property across the hills to Guildford. The McCredie brothers were born in Scotland in 1853???arriving in Australia as young boys. The property was auctioned in 1926 shortly after Arthur's death and transferred to the Sisters of Mercy in 1927. | 1927 to 1998: Convent of Mercy. | SD 1932: Convent of Mercy | SD 1930: Convent of Mercy | SD 1920: A. L. McCredie | SD 1909: Arthur L. McCredie "Kenilworth" | SD 1892: Arthur McCredie "Salisbury"

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
This item has a significant level of association
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is aesthetically significant
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
This item is of social significance
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This item is rare
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Regional Environmental PlanREP No 283620 Aug 99 956161
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993036Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240036


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.