Brislington Property, Moreton Bay Fig Tree and Potential Arch. Site | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Brislington Property, Moreton Bay Fig Tree and Potential Arch. Site

Item details

Name of item: Brislington Property, Moreton Bay Fig Tree and Potential Arch. Site
Other name/s: Brislington Property, Moreton Bay Fig Tree and Potential Archaeological Site
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 10 George Street, Parramatta, NSW 2150
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT2 DP827963
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
10 George StreetParramattaParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Association with notable people. Evidence of the major role of colonial and state government in Parramatta. Site possesses potential to contribute to an understanding early urban develpment in Parramatta.
Date significance updated: 04 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1820-1821
Physical description: Two storey Old Colonial Georgian building in red brick laid in Flemish bond. Later (c. 1910) verandah to ground floor. The front garden screened by a large Moreton Bay Fig Tree provides an appropriate setting. AZP Reference: PC 34 and Parramatta Hospital Sites: PC 31, 32, 33, 1. DP235337 National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Fabric: Speckled Flemish bond brick walls with slate roof and narrow eaves. Roof Construction: Hip. Chimneys: Two tall brick chimneys with corbels and dentils between and rounded brick cowls. Verandah: Slates on skillion roof with central gable with spatterdash and timber strap work added possibly c.1900. Pedimented gable in centre of single-storey verandah across front elevation. Verandah Floor: Sandstone. Verandah Supports: Paired timber posts set on brick piers with sandstone tops. Verandah Decoration: Timber brackets. Verandah Decoration: Timber brackets. Window Sill: Sandstone. Window Arch: Soldier brick flat arches. Fence: Brick fence with brick coping and wrought iron gate. Garden: Well kept . Large Moreton Bay fig planted well before 1870 in front yard. Also Jacaranda tree. Archit Style: Colonial-Georgian two-storey cottage. Front Door: Elliptical soldier brick arch above a fanlight with sunray pattern glazing bars and sidelights. Multi paned glazed sidelights with stained glazed panes above timber panels. Timber four panel door with stained glazed upper panels and below the lock r Other Features: Eight diamonds in contrasting brick at rear of cottage reputed to be winning card in game of poker which enabled John Hodges to build this house.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started and Year Completed.
Further information: CPS; AZP; Brislington House: Conservation Analysis and draft conservation guidelines. Final Draft, April 1991, Clive Lucas, Stapleton & Partners, For Dept of Public Works

History

Historical notes: Built 1819-21 for emancipist trader and publican, John Hodges. Occupied by Sir George Wigram Allen from 1840s to 1857. In 1857 passed to Dr Walter Brown, the first of three generations of Doctors Brown, establishing a long association with the medical profession. From 1949, part of Parramatta Hospital. Archaeological Site Data Convict Allotment and Hut, 1790. Pre 1823 leases: Timothy Hollister, 16 July 1804 (LTO Book 3C No 140) C 1804 map: No.3. 1823 return: John Hodges. 1823 Leases: none. Grant: John Hodges, 30 June 1823 (LTO Book 26. No 4) Sec 19. Allt 98. Sites of buildings: c1792 map: convict hut. c.1804 map: 2 buildings. 1823 map: building. 1844 map: same building, masonry, another building of wood. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): 1947: NSW Health Dept. incorporated the house into Parramatta Hospital. The house is managed by the Nurses Association and is a house museum. Reference S.& K. Brown, "Parramatta, A Town Caught In Time 1870" | SD 1932: Dr Keith S. M. Brown, Physician N0. 12 in SD for 1932 | SD 1930: W. Sigismund Brown, Physician | SD 1915: W. Sigismund Brown, Surgeon | PCC RO 1914-16: N0. 114-5, Lot 98: Brown, Margaret Isabella wife of Walt.Sig. Brown surgeon, Parra. | PCC RO 1914: N0.114 Sec.19 lot 98: Margaret Isabella Brown wife of Walter Sigismund Brown, surgeon Parra | SD 1912: W. Sigismund Brown, Medical Practitioner | NSW PO 1904: W. Sigismund Brown, Medical Practitioner | PCC RB 1885: N0.94: Brown, Walter owner & occupier, brick house 120 pounds. | 1875: Dr Brown eventually bought the property and named it Brislington after Bristol, England. Three generations of Dr. Browns provided a medical service here until 1947. | PCC Assess.of Land owners & occupier 1865: N0.70: Brown, Walter owner & occupier. Brick house, 6 rooms, 90 pounds. | 1849?: Sir George Wigram Allen became the next owner. He rented the property to Dr Walter Brown. | 1821: Built by ex-convict John Hodges for 1,000 pounds as an inn named Anchor and Hope. Hodges died in 1849 but there is evidence he had financial troubles and leased or rented the inn. | 1804: Lease to Timothy Hollister, auctioneer | The first building erected on the corner allotment of Marsden and George Streets, was a convict hut and by 1804, was leased to Timothy Hollister. Then by 1821 John Hodges was the owner. | Brislington as it later was named was built by ex-convict John Hodges for 1,000 pounds as an inn named Anchor and Hope. Hodges had been transported on the Duke of Portland in 1807 for life. He tried to escape by stowing away on a whaler not long after his arrival but was sent back by the captain when a passing ship was en route to Sydney. Despite this setback, Hodges obtained a Ticket of Leave in 1814 and then by supplying a horse and cart to assist with the transporting of stores to William Cox, who was building the road across the Blue Mountains, he received a Conditional Pardon c.1818. John Hodges bought a large amount of spirits from Hannibal Macarthur that continued after he had lost his licence. It was ironical that when John was prosecuted, Hannibal Macarthur was one of the magistrates. Needless to say he was not convicted. His licence was renewed 'shortly after the house was constructed' ( Ref.: Terry Kass History of Site of Parramatta Hospital 1990.) He continued to prosper and by 1828 he had become the owner of a number of farms amounting to 220 acres. He also supplied grain and meat to the government. The land on which Brislington was built was granted to Hodges in 1823. Terry Kass describes John's dealings as "hovering on the fringe of respectable society mediating between the rough and illegal and the respectable and socially acceptable." With his wheeling and dealing Hodges added the Union Inn on the SW corner of Church and George Streets Parramatta. His prosperity was finally undermined for the sum of 65 pounds four shillings and five pence. He died 14th June 1849 and was buried in St. Patrick's Cemetery Parramatta with an sandstone altar gravestone inscribed with a simple message. | Title of land in Parramatta was tenuous to say the least and after a number of legal dealings, | George Rattray, a Sydney merchant, was given legal title to the property in 1851. (Terry Kass, ibid page 21 ). | George Alfred Lloyd had title to the property in 1854. | Lloyd sold he property to George Wigram Allen, a Sydney solicitor in 1855 for 3,000 pounds who retained title until 1875. | The property was rented out to Dr Walter Brown who eventually bought it in 1875 and named the property Brislington. Three generations of Dr. Browns provided a medical service here until 1947 when the Health Dept. incorporated the house into Parramatta Hospital. The house , now a house museum, is managed by the Nurses Association. ( S. & K. Brown , a Town Caught in Time,1870)

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
This item has a significant level of association
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is aesthetically significant
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
This item is of research significant
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This item is rare.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act Building & Garden Maintenance Dec 5 1986

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Regional Environmental PlanREP No 2820420 Aug 99 956161
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993204Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240204
File number: HC 32118 & S90/06154


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.