Redcoats Mess House and Potential Archaeological Site | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Redcoats Mess House and Potential Archaeological Site

Item details

Name of item: Redcoats Mess House and Potential Archaeological Site
Other name/s: Red Coats Mess House and Potential Archaeological Site
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: Horwood Place, Parramatta, NSW 2150
Parish: St John
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 & 1 CP/SP21579
LOT2 DP702154
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Horwood PlaceParramattaParramattaSt JohnCumberlandPrimary Address
48-50 George StreetParramattaParramattaSt JohnCumberlandAlternate Address

Statement of significance:

Evidence of the major role of colonial and state government in Parramatta. Site possesses potential to contribute to an understanding early urban develpment in Parramatta.
Date significance updated: 05 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1830-
Physical description: Two storey gabled building with a rectangular plan running north-south. Painted Flemish bond brickwork with iron roof. The southern portion is slightly higher than the rest of the building. Small paned sash windows. AZP Cross Reference: PC 39 National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Fabric: Painted Flemish bond brick walls with painted sandstone stringline at first floor level but only as far as original house size. Roof is corrugated iron. Roof Construction: Two gable buildings. Building A runs parallel to street , building B runs north-south and is attached to rear of building A. Building B has a stepped gable roof. Chimneys: Building B has two painted chimneys with steps. Verandah: Skillion corrugated iron roof with hip corners not on building in 1974. Verandahs are not original to either building, but are now across rear of first building and along side elevation of rear building. Verandah Floor: Paved Verandah Supports: Timber posts stop chamfered. Verandah Decoration: Timber ladder balustrade and posts across rear of building. Verandah Decoration: Timber ladder balustrade and posts across rear of building. Window Sill: Painted sandstone. Exterior Doors: Three sets of wide timber stable? doors in rear section of Building B. Garden: Paved brick area and small garden forming a courtyard. Archit Style: Federation and Victorian two-storey buildings. Front Door: Timber tongue and groove door. Awning: Enclosed skillion awning along side elevation forming a shop building.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.
Further information: CPS

History

Historical notes: Archaeological Site Data Built mid 1830s as a Mess Hall and catering establishment for officers stationed in the Parramatta district. Convict allotment and hut. Grant: Anthony Fenn Kemp, 11 Nov 1808 , cancelled 8 Sept 1825 (LTO Book 3c No 241), Maurice Charles O'Connell, 22 March 1814 (LTO Book 2 No 12) 'Goal' c1804. Return: 1823 Col. O' Connell, Lease: 1823 None, Grant: John Ellison. Sec 21 Allt 10 Sites of Buildings: Building (c1792 map), vacant (c1804 map), vacant (1823 map), 2 buildings of masonry (1844 map) Extant Buildings: None National Trust (Parramatta Branch): See research for historical details. Since 1830s known as "Mess House" | SD 1932: N0.36: L.J. Anschau | PCC RO 1914: N0.62, Sec , lots . , landowner Parra. | PCC RO 1916: N0.9 pt. lot 10. Parra. Anschau, Dan, Norman, Patk., and Austin Montague Anschau's. Tanners of St. Mary. | PCC RB 1872: N0.94: Pringle, Dr.G.H. (in brackets beside name "dead") , McLaurrin? Henry N. occupier. brick house 10 pounds | Also N0.95: Pringle, Dr.G.H. (in brackets beside name "dead") , McLaurrin? Henry N. occupier. brick house 90 pounds. | | Early building in Parramatta used for Red Coats Officers Mess c. 1835 and later in 1850s. Used as home and surgery for Dr George Pringle until 1872. Later residence of another Doctor Waugh. | MW says built mid 1830s for army officers stationed at Parramatta as a mess hall. | Leased to Col. Maurice O'Connell from 1814 to 1823. then publican John Ellison. By 1844 there were 2 masonry buildings on site. These 2 buildings remain today. SB | SD 1932: L.J. Anschua N0.36 | SD 1918: L.J. Anschua "Haeremai" | SD 1915: L.J. Anschua | PCC RB 1915: N0.10, Improv. Cap. Val. 195 pounds. and possibly part of N0.11 Valued at 325 pounds. Mrs A.O. Pringle | PCC RO 1914: N0. 10 Sec.21 lotpt.10, Anderson ward. Annie Oakes Pringle widow Parra. (also in N0.11 re subdivision of part lot 10 Sec. 21.) | SD 1912: ??maybe Bowden, solicitors offices | SD 1911: | SD 1903: E.Cuthbert Hall, physician. | SSD 1895: James Kearney, surgeon | PCC RB 1879: N0.134 Executor of George Hogarth Pringle owner, Isaac Waugh occupier brick house 100 pounds. | 1.7.1831: Land grant to John Ellison situated in Parramatta. | Serial N0. 29 page 90 describes N0.1 Sec 21 1 acre, 1rood, 15perches bounded by Phillip Street on the west by Charles Watkins and William Parrott's. South by George Street, East by Oakes, O'Brien's and Whiteheads. 7 pound 3 shillings and 4 pence, on condition that a permanent dwelling should be erected.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
This item is technically or scientifically significant.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act on 60 Horwood Place only Aug 1 1986

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Regional Environmental PlanREP No 2820920 Aug 99 956161
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993209Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240209
File number: HC 32462, S90/05835


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.