Cottages Group | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Cottages Group

Item details

Name of item: Cottages Group
Other name/s: Group of Cottages
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Cottage
Primary address: 64, 66, 68, 70, 72, 76,78 Harris Street, Harris Park, NSW 2150
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT352DP415
PART LOT372DP415
LOT382DP415
LOT392DP415
LOT422DP415
LOT2 DP738287
LOT1 DP934806
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
64, 66, 68, 70, 72, 76,78 Harris StreetHarris ParkParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Gorup of cottages at 64, 66, 68, 70, 72, 76 ans 78 Harris Park is of significance for the local area for historical and representativeness reasons. Built c. 1900, this is a group which makes a notable contribution to the Harris Park West conservation area due to similarities in age, design and materials.
Date significance updated: 01 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1900-
Physical description: Group of single storey Victorian and Federation cottages are of brick or weatherboard walls and corrugated iron or tiled roofs. Roofs are hip and all houses except Nos. 64 and 78, have projecting gable front. House No. 64 has painted Flemish bond brick walls on sandstone foundations, with cement tiled gambrel hip roof. Verandah has concrete floor and cement tiled skillion roof with hip corners over, across front only. Verandah has tapered wrought iron open work posts. Windows have rendered brick sills. Front door is fully glazed timber door with painted transom light above. Front fence is low red brick fence with brick coping incorporating one row of painted patterned Besser blocks, between brick piers, and wrought iron gate. House No. 66 has tuck pointed brick cavity walls with two rows dark brick stringline in line with top and bottom of windows. Gablet hip roof is terracotta tiled with terracotta crockets on roof ridge and exposed rafters. Projecting flying gable is supported by ladder trim brackets. Projecting bay top has spatterdash between two moulded red brick string courses crown with three decorated corbels. A Queen Ann arch above the window has soldier brick bullnose arches with a moulded red brick stringline above. There are three tall brick and spatterdash chimneys with corbels and squat terracotta pots. Verandah's roof has terracotta tiles extending from main roof with exposed rafters and is running across front to projecting gable. Verandah has glazed verandah screen on lattice balustradeon the side, timber posts stop chamfered and on the floor there are tessellated tiles. Windows have rendered brick sills. Front glazed timber framed door has glazed sidelight and transom lights above. House No. 68 has tuck pointed Flemish bond brick walls and gambrel hip corrugated iron roof. Projecting gable to street has sun ray timber pattern on spatterdash with projecting brick stringline under. Spatterdash brick chimney has stepped brick corbels. Verandah has broken back skillion corrugated iron roof extending from main roof with exposed rafters, across front to projecting gable. Verandah floor has slate edging and tessellated tiles. Verandah is supported by stop chamfered timber posts and brackets below shaped timber valancewith incised pattern. Windows have bullnose sloping brick sills and soldier brick arches. Front Federation five panelled door with green bottle glazed central panel and two glazed panels above has glazed transom light with dentils below. Front fence is Aluminium spearhead palisade fence and gate. House No. 70 has tuck pointed Flemish bond brick walls with dark brick stringline at top and bottom of windows. Gambrel hip terracotta tiled roof is with terracotta crockets on roof ridge and exposed rafters. Projecting flying gable supported by timber decorated brackets. Behind gable screen is spatterdash infill with two moulded brick string courses with spatterdash between below infill. Within projecting bay is a Queen Anne arch. Two tall brick chimneys have corbels and squat terracotta pots. Verandah is covered with terracotta tiles extending from main roof over verandah across front to projecting gable and return to south side. Verandah has tessellated tiles on the floor and path. Supports are decorative timber posts stop chamfered with brackets. Verandah is decorated with timber ladder valance. There is a glazed screen and lattice wall at end of the verandah. Windows have rendered brick sills. Window in the projecting bay has bullnose soldier brick Queen Anne arch outlined by a red brick label mould stringline and stops. Front door has transom light above. There is half sidelight over side entrance. Front fence is timber picket fence and gate. House No. 72 has rendered brick walls to the front and painted Flemish bond walls to the sides. Gambrel hip roof is terracotta tiled with exposed rafters. Terracotta crockets have been removed from roof ridge. Projecting spatterdash flying gable is supported by decorated timber brackets. Two tall spatterdash brick chimneys have corbels and squat terracotta pots. Verandah has terracotta tiles roof that extends from main roof across front to projecting gable. Verandah Floor is concrete and supports are wrought iron scroll pattern flat posts. Windows have rendered brick sills. Queen Anne brick arch from the window on the projecting bay is removed. Front timber door is with circular glazed panel at eye level. Front fence is new low brick and piers fence with picket panels infill. House No. 76 has stretcher bond brick walls with red brick stringline at top and bottom of windows and gambrel hip corrugated iron roof. Projecting flying gable is supported by decorated timber brackets. Spatterdash in gable is with rendered strap work in sunrise design and brick label mould below. Verandah has corrugated iron flat roof across front to projecting gable. Verandah has slate edging and tessellated floor tiles. Turned timber columns with decorated timber brackets and shaped valance are supporting verandah. Windows have rendered brick sills and red soldier brick arches above rendered architraves. Front six panelled timber door is with bolection moulding and glazed transom light above. House No. 78 is of weatherboard walls with gabled corrugated iron roof. Verandah has bullnose corrugated iron roof with hipped corners, across front only. Verandah is with Quarry tiles on the floor and Pipe posts as supports. Verandah is decorated with miniature inverted cut out dentils on fascia board painted in contrasting colour. Exterior doors have glazed transom lights over French doors with simple mould panels below lock rail and glazed panels above. They are with timber louvre shutters. Front door has glazed transom light over Victorian four panel timber door with simple moulds. Front fence is timber Colonial picket fence and gate.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.
Further information: Detail Survey, Parramatta, 1895; Subd plans (ML) - Parramatta; CPS

History

Historical notes: Built c. 1880. Land subdivided and auctioned 1880. These houses are shown on the 1895 Detail Survey. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): SD 1932: George W. Stenhouse | SD 1929: George W. Stenhouse | SD 1925: Thomas Craig | SD 1924: Thomas Craig | SD 1923: William T. Ewin | SD 1918: William T. Ewin | SD 1917: Robert G. Baker | SD 1915: Robert G. Baker | PCC RB 1915: N0. 518, Improv. Cap. Val. 330 pounds, Mary L. Craig | PCC RO 1914: N0. 518, Sec 2, lot 35, Anderson ward. Mary Letitia Craig, spinster Parra | SD 1912: Robert G. Baker | SD 1909: Robert G. Baker | NSW PO 1904: | RB 1895: Owner, Occupier H. Cornish, wood house 13.0.0 | PCC Bor. PAR. 1893: Owner H. Cornish, Occupier David Scott, houses Harris St 32.8.0 [2 votes] | SD 1889: Henry Cornish, stonemason ?/ | | | National Trust (Parramatta Branch): SD 1932: Ernest F. Olley | SD 1925: Ernest F. Olley | SD 1920: Harold Burgess | SD 1915: Walter J. Airey | PCC RB 1915: N0. 517, Improv. Cap. Val. 400 pounds. W. J. Airey | PCC RO 1914: N0. 517 Sec 2, lot pt.37, 36, Anderson ward. Walter J. Airey, clerk Parra | SD 1912: Walter J. Airey | SD 1910: Walter J. Airey | SD 1909: NO ENTRY? | NSW PO 1904: | Either 64 or 66 | RB 1895: Owner Geo. Coates Snr. Occupier, Jas. Byrnes brick | Bor. PAR. 1893: Owner Occupier H. Cornish National Trust (Parramatta Branch): SD 1932: Harry Fullagar | SD 1920: Harry Fullagar | SD 1915: Harry Fullagar | PCC RB 1915: N0. 516, Improv. Cap. Val. 375 pounds. Gertrude Muston | PCC RO 1914: N0. 516 Sec 2, lot 37, Anderson ward. Gertrude, wife of John Muston, postal official Granville | SD 1913: Harry Fullagar | SD 1912: no entry National Trust (Parramatta Branch): SD 1932: George Craig | SD 1930: Mrs M.E. Freeman | SD 1929: Mrs M.E. Freeman | SD 1925: Harry W. Todd | SD 1920: Edward Paul "Tanna" | SD 1915: Edward Paul "Tanna" | PCC RB 1915: N0. 515, Improv. Cap. Val. 375 pounds. E. Paul | PCC RO 1914: N0. 515 Sec 2, lot 38, Anderson ward. Edward Paul, gent, Richmond | SD 1913: E. Paul | SD 1911: no entry National Trust (Parramatta Branch): All features of Queen Anne house have been removed . | SD 1932: Herbert West | SD 1920: Herbert West | SD 1915: Francis E. McLean | PCC RB 1915: N0. 514, Improv. Cap. Val. 665 pounds. A. Murrell | PCC RO 1914: N0. 514 Sec 2, lot 39,40 Anderson ward. Anthony Murrell, orchardist Baulkham Hills. | SD 1912: Charles Brown | SD 1910: Charles Brown | SD 1909: Charles Brown ??/ | National Trust (Parramatta Branch): SD 1932: Peter Bain | SD 1925: Peter Bain | SD 1920: Frank Lambert | SD 1915: George Fitzpatrick, journalist | PCC RB 1915: N0. 513, Improv. Cap. Val. 475 pounds, G. W. J. Fitzpatrick. | PCC RO 1914: N0. 513 Sec 2, lot 41, Anderson ward. Geo. Wm. Sydney Fitzpatrick, mechanic Parra. | National Trust (Parramatta Branch): SD 1932: Mrs M. Birmingham, nurse | SD 1915: Mrs Margaret Birmingham, midwife | PCC RB 1915: N0. 512, Improv. Cap. Val. 330 pounds, J. Fitzgerald, J. Birmingham (Margt. R.P.L.) | PCC RO 1914: N0. 512, Sec 2, lot 42, Anderson ward. John Fitzgerald commissioning agent, [Ultimo: Lease 455734 to Margaret Birmingham for 50 yrs from 4th Feb. 1907. Widow to pay rates and has option to purchase any time during said lease, subject to conditions thereof.] | SD 1912: Mrs Margaret Birmingham, midwife | SD 1909: Nurse Birmingham, midwife | NSW PO 1904: Nurse Birmingham, midwife | RB 1895: No.520 unenclosed land Lot 41, Sec 2 | SD 1889; no entry

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Regional Environmental PlanREP No 28270,270A, 6420 Aug 99 956161
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993270Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240270


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.