Conjoined Residences | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Conjoined Residences

Item details

Name of item: Conjoined Residences
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 26, 28 Jamieson Street, Granville, NSW 2142
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT101 DP775235
LOT102 DP775235
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
26, 28 Jamieson StreetGranvilleParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The semi-detached houses at 26-28 Jamieson Street are of significance for the local area for historical reasons and as a representative example of modest Federation period houses in the area. The buildings contribute to the streetscape of Granville Conservation Area, additionally as part of the group of historic houses with similarities in age, design, use and materials.
Date significance updated: 08 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1910-
Physical description: Single storey Federation style semi-detached residences constructed of weatherboard with sandstone block pattern across front and gablet hipped roof clad in corrugated iron. The houses feature sash windows with sidelights, bell-shaped verandah and tall brick corbelled chimneys on either side of the building. Verandah with Ogee corrugated iron roof with hip corners stretces across front only. Verandah is supported by two timber columns and has a central privacy wall with recessed blind arches. Windows have decorated timber sills. Fence is timber, acorn topped picket fence with matching gate. Front door has a transom light and sidelights, flanking a five panelled door with three glazed panels above lock rail and timber bolection mould panels below.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.
Further information: GS

History

Historical notes: These lots were all bought as vacant land in 1903-4 by Albert and Sydney Carson (sons of Thomas Carson), Stephen Chandler and his wife Florence and by Rebecca Hill, wife of Roland Hill of Chatswood. In the next few years all of these dwellings were erected for these owners, for owner-occupation and for rental. By 1914, the street was complete. Many of these owners lived in the street or nearby. Even the Hills moved to Granville from Chatswood. The erection of these dwellings was a direct response to the improved conditions in Sydney in the early 1900's.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan 31921 Feb 97 20873

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993319Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240319


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.