Dundas Municipal Council Chambers (Former) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Dundas Municipal Council Chambers (Former)

Item details

Name of item: Dundas Municipal Council Chambers (Former)
Other name/s: Former Dundas Municipal Council Chambers
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Government and Administration
Category: Council Chambers
Primary address: 156 Marsden Road, Dundas, NSW 2117
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
     
     
     
     
   SP78361
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
156 Marsden RoadDundasParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The Dundas Town Hall is of significance for the local area for historic, aesthetic, social and reasons of representativeness. The former Town Hall provides evidence of the development of government administration in the Dundas area, and it is demonstrative of the changing needs and tastes in design of public buildings in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. The building is also a notable element of the streetscape.
Date significance updated: 08 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1880-1938
Physical description: The former Dundas Town Hall is a single storey painted brick building, consisting of the hall on southern side and former Council offices on the northern side. The portion built in the 1930s is constructed of brick with dominant vertical elements to the facade. It was originally built in c.1880, with substantial modifications c. 1900 and c. 1938.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started and Year Completed.

History

Historical notes: Built in three stages, with the oldest section (c.1880s) at the rear followed by a c.1900 addition on the east and a c.1930's addition on Marsden Road. Foundation Stone: F E Spurway May 1938. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Foundation stone : F.E. Spurway May 1938 | Built in three stages , with the oldest section (c.1880s) at the rear followed by a c.1900 addition to the east and a c.1930s addition on Marsden Road. | |

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is aesthetically significant
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
This item is of social significance
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan 37121 Feb 97 20873

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993371Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240371


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.