Willow Grove and Potential Archaeological Site | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Willow Grove and Potential Archaeological Site

Item details

Name of item: Willow Grove and Potential Archaeological Site
Other name/s: Willow Grove Now Forever Living Products Aust. Pty Ltd. and Potential Archaeolo
Type of item: Archaeological-Terrestrial
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 34 Phillip Street, Parramatta, NSW 2150
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1 DP569139
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
34 Phillip StreetParramattaParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

House at 34 Phillip Street is of significance for the local area for historical, aesthetic and representativeness reasons. Built c.1870s, it is a good example of a Victorian Italianate two-storey villa, readily identifiable as part of historic building stock and strongly contributing to the streetscape in spite of its large setback, partly through its notable fence.
Date significance updated: 07 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1870-1880
Physical description: Two storey Victorian Italianate house of stuccoed brick with cast iron balustrading to upper verandah, set back from Phillip Street and with a fine fence of cast iron spikes and elaborate stone gate posts. Mature trees enhance the site. Slate roof is on rendered brick walls. Roof construction is hip with projecting gable front with decorative timber gable screen and finial and decorative barge boards. A pyramid slate roof is above the faceted bay. Two tall rendered brick chimneys with cornice decoration are on east side. Two storey return verandah from projecting gable to east has bullnose roof with striped paint. Verandah floor is timber with dentils on first floor, on ground floor it is tiled. Cast iron columns with cast iron frieze to both floors and cast iron lace balustrade to upper floor verandah. Windows in faceted bay have rendered corniced sills with recessed niches below (plain moulded sills on other windows), and Victorian label mould arches. Front door has transom light above late Victorian panelled door with glazed sidelights. Exterior doors have transom lights and side lights in first floor verandah. Fence is spearhead palisade iron fence set in plinth and into large rendered posts with decorative tops, with iron scroll work on decorative iron gate. A large addition to back of house is kept below original roof level. Other features include a large semi circular gravel drive.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Excellent.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started and Year Completed.
Further information: CPS

History

Historical notes: Built c.1870s-80s Archaeological Site Data Return: 1823 John Wigley Lease: 1823 John Wigley (LTO Book 25, No 110) Grant: Benjamin Lee. Sec 25 Allt 43 Sites of Buildings: c1804, 1823 and 1844 maps Building: Building (c1804 map), 1 of wood (1823 and 1844 maps) Extant Buildings: None National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Grant to Benj. Lee early politician Was a maternity hospital for a number of years in 20th century called Allowah. PMG bought site c.1980 and later sold in 1987 to restaurant owner who restored building and added back section and used it for administration. Sold again in 1996 to Cosmetic firm. | SD 1932: No. 34 Misses McLachlan, private hospital | SD 1930: Misses McLachlan, private hospital | SD 1929: Misses McLachlan, private hospital | SD 1925: Mrs E.E. Davidson, private hospital | SD 1920: Mrs E.E. Davidson, private hospital | SD 1915: Henry D. Melhaish, "Willow Grove" | PCC RB 1915: N0. 115, Anderson ward, Unimpr. Cap Val. 1,000 pounds. Elizth. Melhuish | PCC RB 1914: N0. 115, sec. 25, lot pt. each 43,41. Elizabeth wife of Henry Dutton Melhuish, Granville | SD 1912: Henry D. Melhaish, "Willow Grove" | SD 1910: Henry D. Melhaish, "Willow Grove" | SD 1909: Henry D. Melhaish, "Willow Grove" | NSW PO 1904: | SD 1903: John Doherty | SD 1900: J. Paul "Willow Grove | SD 1895: Samuel A. Ross | SD 1889: Mrs C. Hyland or Mrs Phillips. |

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is aesthetically significant
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Regional Environmental PlanREP No 2844020 Aug 99 956161
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993440Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240440


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.