Timber Cottages | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Timber Cottages

Item details

Name of item: Timber Cottages
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Cottage
Primary address: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 Purchase Street, Harris Park, NSW 2150
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT2 DP115224
LOT1 DP170909
LOT2 DP170909
LOT3 DP172693
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
2, 4, 6, 8, 10 Purchase StreetHarris ParkParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Group of houses at 2-10 Purchase Street is of significance for the local area for historical and representativeness reasons. Built c.1914, they are readily identifiable as part of historic building stock and strongly contribute to the townscape due to similarities in age, design and materials.
Date significance updated: 01 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1914-
Physical description: Group of five, originally identical prefabricated Federation single storey cottages with weatherboard walls and corrugated iron roofs. Only No. 10 has terracotta tiled roof. Roofs are hipped with single street facing gable with decorative barge boards, pressed metal infil and timber louvre ventilator. Chimneys are brick. All houses have return verandahs with bullnose corrugated iron roof and timber floor. Verandahs have timber posts stop chamfered with curved timber brackets and ladder infills. House No. 4 have timber lattice screen across front elevation. Windows have decorative timber undersills. Front fence at Nos 2, 6 and 8 is picket fence and gate. At No. 4 front fence is paling low fence and at No. 10 it is wire fence and gate. House No. 4 is in its original condition and No. 10 is greatly altered.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good. N0. 2 and 6 recently restored. N0. 4 and 8 original condition. N0. 10 greatly altered.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.
Further information: George Hudson & Son Ltd, Australian Bungalows, 1919; Subd plans (ML) - Parramatta; C. T. 2518 f. 132-3

History

Historical notes: Land subdivided as the Second Subdivision of Elizabeth Farm in mid 1880s. Built as group across two larger allotments, in 1914 by two Parramatta builders, Letchfield Whitehead and Ebenezer Corbett as a joint venture. These are most likely to be pre-fabricated cottages, probably Design 22 sold by George Hudson & Co. They appear to have been sold off separately in the 1950s onwards. The whole row is visible on an aerial photo of 1930. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Part of Elizabeth Farm estate subdivided in 1885. Two larger allotments divided into 5. Houses probably No. 22 from George Hudson catalogue of prefabricated houses built by Parramatta locals named Letchfield Whitehead and Ebenezer Corbett in 1914. Purchase Street not formed until 1915. | Ref.: Meredith Walker says probably sold separately in 1950. This is not the case. | New owner is systematically restoring verandah using next door neighbours as pattern. Roof to go on verandah but all other decoration carefully reinstated except windows. | | N0.2: | SD 1932: Mrs Towns | SD 1930: Alexander Houston | SD 1929: Alexander Houston | SD 1924: H.J. Town "Kaloola" | SD 1923: Henry J. Town | SD 1920: Albert Fuller | SD 1918: John T. Pearce | SD 1915: George Heather | SD 1912: no entries | Purchase Street not formed until 1915. | | N0.4: | SD 1932: Henry Bowerman | SD 1923: Henry Bowerman | SD 1920: John F. Willingham | SD 1918: John Prebble | SD 1915: John Prebble | SD 1912: no entries | | N0.6: | SD 1932: T.J. Norris | SD 1924: T.J. Norris "Oban" | SD 1920: Thomas J. Norris | SD 1918: Mrs Annie Clark | SD 1915: Frederick W. Tuckwell | SD 1912: no entries | | N0.8: | Jean Perry owner of this house, was born here in 1918 and tells me her father had come from Cornwell where he was a miner. He brought family from Broken Hill in 1917 where he had worked as a miner. He got job at Hardies Asbestos factory. He paid for house before he moved in. | SD 1932: A. Perry | SD 1930: A. Perry | SD 1929: A. Perry | SD 1924: Arthur Perry "Moonta" after a mining town in Cornwall where earlier family migrated from. | SD 1920: Arthur Perry | SD 1918: John F. Willingham | SD 1915: Robert H. Johnson | SD 1912: no entries | N0.10: | SD 1932: J. Hunter | SD 1924: John Hunter "Epsom" | SD 1918: John Hunter | SD 1915: William Gancer | SD 1912: no entries | | |

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Regional Environmental PlanREP No 2845120 Aug 99 956161
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993451Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240451


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.