Lancer Barracks Group | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Lancer Barracks Group

Item details

Name of item: Lancer Barracks Group
Other name/s: Linden House
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 2 Smith Street, Parramatta, NSW 2150
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT396 DP39627
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
2 Smith StreetParramattaParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The Lancer Barracks are of significance for the local area for their historical and aesthetic values and as a representative and rare set of examples of Victorian, Federation and later military and associated buildings in the local area. The Barracks are associated with a number of persons and groups, primarily those with military relations. The site possesses potential to contribute to a further understanding of early development of Parramatta and NSW, as it illustrates a number of historic themes relating to military, people settlement and related activities. Key buildings have identifiable heritage values and may be significant in their own right.
Date significance updated: 05 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1910-
Physical description: LINDEN HOUSE: Two-storey Old Colonial Georgian building with walls of coursed rubble to the sides and dressed stone at the front. Joinery and roof shingles are not original (moved to this site in the 1970s). OFFICERS' QUARTERS: Single-storey Old Colonial Georgian building of brick (now unpainted) with synthetic shingle roof continuous over verandah on three sides. MEN'S QUARTERS: Two storey Old Colonial Georgian building of painted brickwith late Victorian alterations and additions. The five bay front has 15 pane windows and central front door with keystone and fanlight. Upper level verandah with cast iron balustrading added c1897. OFFICERS' MESS: Single-storey painted brick Victorian cottage with gabled Marseilles tiled roof. REGIMENTAL HEADQUARTERS: Two storey Federation building of dark brick with gambrel slate roof and wide brick chimneys. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Fabric: Slate roof on sandstone walls with string line at first floor level. Roof Construction: Hip. Chimneys: Sandstone chimneys either end of building. Verandah Decoration: Window Sill: Sandstone. Window Arch: Sandstone lintels across windows and door. Archit Style: Colonial Georgian two-storey building. Front Door: Glazed semi-circular fanlight above an early Colonial four- panel timber door. Constr Year: c.1823-26 first built in Macquarie Street, then moved to present site in 1960s. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Fabric: Corrugated iron roof on painted speckled brick walls. Roof Construction: Hip. Chimneys: Four brick chimneys. Verandah: Corrugated iron roof extending from main roof across front and return to north side. Verandah Floor: Sandstone flagging ground floor, upper floor timber. Verandah Supports: Tapered Doric octagonal columns set on sandstone plinth to both floors. Verandah Decoration: Decorative cast iron balustrade to upper floor. Verandah Decoration: Decorative cast iron balustrade to upper floor. Window Sill: Sandstone. Window Arch: Red soldier brick arches. Archit Style: Colonial Georgian two-storey barrack building. Front Door: Georgian semi-circular red soldier brick arch and decorative fanlight above early Colonial six- panel timber door. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Fabric: Terracotta tiled roof on painted brick walls. Roof Construction: Gable with decorative timber gable screen and finial. Chimneys: Tall rendered brick chimney with steps. Verandah: Terracotta tiled skillion roof extending from main roof across front . Verandah Supports: Timber posts stop chamfered with timber brackets. Verandah Decoration: Window Sill: Painted sandstone. Fence: Timber picket fence and gate with curved tops. Garden: Lovely rose garden and lawn. Archit Style: Federation Arts and Craft single-storey cottage. Front Door: Transom light above door with glazed panel above high waisted timber door . National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Fabric: Corrugated iron roof on painted speckled brick walls. Roof was shingled until 1998 Roof Construction: Hip. Chimneys: Two brick chimneys with steps. Verandah: Corrugated iron roof extending from main roof across front and return to both side elevations. Verandah Floor: Sandstone flagging. Verandah Supports: Tapered Doric octagonal columns set on sandstone plinth. PAIRED COLUMNS FLANK FRONT ENTRANCE. Verandah Decoration: Window Sill: Sandstone. Window Arch: Red Soldier brick flat arches now painted. Exterior Doors: Timber louvred shutters over French doors each end of return verandah. Archit Style: Colonial Georgian single-storey building. Front Door: Glazed semi-circular fanlight above an early Colonial four- panel timber door. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Fabric: Slate roof with exposed rafters on red tuck pointed stretcher bond brick. Roof Construction: Paired gable roof with timber shingled gable screen and finial. Chimneys: Tall and wide brick chimney with steps. Verandah: Slate skillion roof above ground floor windows across front only. Verandah Supports: Timber posts stop chamfered with timber brackets. Verandah Decoration: Window Sill: Sloping brick sills. Window Arch: Red soldier brick curved arches. Exterior Doors: Transom light over French doors with timber louvred shutters. Fence: Timber picket fence and gate with curved tops. Archit Style: Federation Queen Anne two-storey cottage. AwningDecorative timber brackets with skillion louvred awnings above first floor windows. Skillion awning along side wall.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.
Further information: CPS, NTL, RNE

History

Historical notes: Site of the second barracks in Parramatta built to house British Regiments until their withdrawal in 1850s. LINDEN HOUSE: Built 1828 on south side of Macquarie St near Marsden St. Used as a school till 1830s when it it became the quarters for some of the officers of the garrison. A school again from c1840 to 1919, during which time the name Linden House came into use. From 1919 it had various uses. In 1963 it was acquired by members of the Royal NSW Lancers Association. The front half of the building was removed to its present site and reopened in March 1966 as a museum of the Lancers. OFFICERS' QUARTERS: Built 1819-20 to accommodate officers of the Parramatta Garrison. Designed by Lt John Watts. MENS' QUARTERS: Built 1819 to accommodate soldiers of the Parramatta Garrison. Designed by Lt John Watts. Substantially rebuilt between 1833-1842; renovated 1897. With the Officers' Quarters the oldest extant military buildings in mainland Australia. OFFICERS' MESS: Built 1897 probably as married quarters. REGIMENTAL HEADQUARTERS: Built 1900 as military residence. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Linden House built in 1823 for Daniel Jackson. and sold to Robert Merchane a Sydney merchant between 1826 and 28. Campbell sold the building to the Trustees of the new Parramatta School of Industry run by Governor Darling's wife Elizabeth. The school's aim was to instruct girls in domestic arts as well as in reading and arithmetic and operated from the south side of Macquarie Street Parramatta between Marsden and O'Connell Streets, from 1829 until 1847, when it was moved to Sydney. The building was later used as a kindergarten then a mess house for junior officers of the British Garrison from c.1830. Ref.: Helen Proudfoot heritage study of Parramatta 1972. | From 1859 to 1878, the Presbyterian School was operating in this building in Macquarie Street. Margaret Griffith, and her daughter, who had run girls schools in various houses in Parramatta from as early as 1840 moved their school here in 1885 and named it 'Linden'. The Griffith and Duffus families had arrived in Parramatta from France c.1834 Later in the | mid twentieth century, the Returned Soldiers League bought the property . The R.S.L remained there until 1960s when it was sold to the AMP CO. . The house was carefully demolished and rebuilt in the grounds of the Lancer Barracks in 1966. Reference: S. & K. Brown, A Town Caught in Time, 1870., Hale & Iremonger 1995., pp.2, 64, 111. | | Meridth Walker :Site of second barracks to be built in Parramatta to house British regiments until their withdrawal in the 1850s. | LINDEN HOUSE: built1828 on south side of Macquarie Street near Marsden Street. Used as a school under the patronage of Governor Darling's wife until 1830s. when it became the quarters for some of the officers of the garrison. A School again from 1840 to 1919 during which time the name "Linden" was used. In 1963 it was occupied by members of the Royal NSW Lancers Association. | | Significance: | Evidence of the major role of colonial and state government in Parramatta. | Site possesses potential to contribute to an understanding of early urban development in Parramatta. This site is one of the few in Parramatta which still retains a continuous use from the early days of the settlement. | | National Trust (Parramatta Branch): This building designed by Lieutenant John Watt in 1819 for Governor Macquarie as part of a complex of buildings erected for the military in Parramatta. Originally two of these cottages were erected facing each other across a square and designed to house married officers and their families. | Reference: S. & K. Brown, A Town Caught in Time, 1870., Hale & Iremonger 1995., pp.2, 60, 61, 64, 111. | Meridith Walker :Site of second barracks to be built in Parramatta to house British regiments until their withdrawal in the 1850s. | OFFICERS' QUARTERS: Built 1819-20 to accommodate officers of the Parramatta garrison. Designed by John Watts. | MEN'S QUARTERS: Built 1819-20 to accommodate soldiers of the Parramatta garrison. Designed by John Watts. Substanially rebuilt between 1833-1842, renovated 1897. With the Officers quarters the oldest extant military buildings in mainland Australia. | | Significance: | Evidence of the major role of colonial and state government in Parramatta. | Site possesses potential to contribute to an understanding of early urban development in Parramatta. This site is one of the few in Parramatta which still retains a continuous use from the early days of the settlement. | | National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Meridth Walker :Site of second barracks to be built in Parramatta to house British regiments until their withdrawal in the 1850s. | LINDEN HOUSE: built1828 on south side of Macquarie Street near Marsden Street. Used as a school under the patronage of Governor Darling's wife until 1830s. when it became the quarters for some of the officers of the garrison. A School again from 1840 to 1919 during which time the name "Linden" was used. In 1963 it was occupied by members of the Royal NSW Lancers Association. | OFFICERS' QUARTERS: Built 1819-20 to accommodate officers of the Parramatta garrison. Designed by John Watts. | MEN'S QUARTERS: Built 1819-20 to accommodate soldiers of the Parramatta garrison. Designed by John Watts. Substanially rebuilt between 1833-1842, renovated 1897. With the Officers quarters the oldest extant military buildings in mainland Australia. | OFFICERS' MESS: Built 1897 probably as married quarters. | | Significance: | Evidence of the major role of colonial and state government in Parramatta. | Site possesses potential to contribute to an understanding of early urban development in Parramatta. This site is one of the few in Parramatta which still retains a continuous use from the early days of the settlement. | | National Trust (Parramatta Branch): This building designed by Lieutenant John Watt in 1819 for Governor Macquarie as part of a complex of buildings erected for the military in Parramatta. Originally two of these cottages were erected facing each other across a square and designed to house married officers and their families. | Reference: S. & K. Brown, A Town Caught in Time, 1870., Hale & Iremonger 1995., pp.2, 60, 61, 64, 111. | | Meridth Walker :Site of second barracks to be built in Parramatta to house British regiments until their withdrawal in the 1850s. | LINDEN HOUSE: built1828 on south side of Macquarie Street near Marsden Street. Used as a school under the patronage of Governor Darling's wife until 1830s. when it became the quarters for some of the officers of the garrison. A School again from 1840 to 1919 during which time the name "Linden" was used. In 1963 it was occupied by members of the Royal NSW Lancers Association. | OFFICERS' QUARTERS: Built 1819-20 to accommodate officers of the Parramatta garrison. Designed by John Watts. | MEN'S QUARTERS: Built 1819-20 to accommodate soldiers of the Parramatta garrison. Designed by John Watts. Substanially rebuilt between 1833-1842, renovated 1897. With the Officers quarters the oldest extant military buildings in mainland Australia. | | Significance: | Evidence of the major role of colonial and state government in Parramatta. | Site possesses potential to contribute to an understanding of early urban development in Parramatta. This site is one of the few in Parramatta which still retains a continuous use from the early days of the settlement. | | National Trust (Parramatta Branch): REGIMENTAL HEADQUARTERS:Built 1900 as military residence possibly designed by Government architect Walter Liberty Vernon. | | Meridth Walker :Site of second barracks to be built in Parramatta to house British regiments until their withdrawal in the 1850s. | LINDEN HOUSE: built1828 on south side of Macquarie Street near Marsden Street. Used as a school under the patronage of Governor Darling's wife until 1830s. when it became the quarters for some of the officers of the garrison. A School again from 1840 to 1919 during which time the name "Linden" was used. In 1963 it was occupied by members of the Royal NSW Lancers Association. | OFFICERS' QUARTERS: Built 1819-20 to accommodate officers of the Parramatta garrison. Designed by John Watts. | MEN'S QUARTERS: Built 1819-20 to accommodate soldiers of the Parramatta garrison. Designed by John Watts. Substanially rebuilt between 1833-1842, renovated 1897. With the Officers quarters the oldest extant military buildings in mainland Australia. | OFFICERS' MESS: Built 1897 probably as married quarters. | REGIMENTAL HEADQUARTERS:Built 1900 as military residence. | | Significance: | Evidence of the major role of colonial and state government in Parramatta. | Site possesses potential to contribute to an understanding of early urban development in Parramatta. This site is one of the few in Parramatta which still retains a continuous use from the early days of the settlement. | | | |

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
This item has a significant level of association
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is aesthetically significant.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
This item is technically or scientifically significant.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This item is rare.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Regional Environmental PlanREP No 2849220 Aug 99 956161
Archaeological zoning planLancer Barracks100   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993492Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240492


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.