Single Storey Residence | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Single Storey Residence

Item details

Name of item: Single Storey Residence
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 60 The Avenue, Granville, NSW 2142
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1 DP610108
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
60 The AvenueGranvilleParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The house at 60 The Avenue, Granville is of significance for the local area for historical and aesthetic reasons and as a representative example of Victorian villas in the area. The house, built c. 1892, is readily identifiable as part of the finest historic building stock of the area and strongly contributes to its character.
Date significance updated: 08 Mar 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1892-
Physical description: Single storey late Victorian / early Federation Queen Anne style villa with room in roof. Fine detailing includes prominent geometric pattern on gable ends, diamond-shaped asbestos-cement tiled roof with terra-cotta ridge capping and finials, unusual stained glass to windows. Facade walls with diagonal pattern weatherboards as a feature are flanking front windows under projecting gable. Roof construction is half hipped with projecting gable to front elevation. Front gable has painted shingles with geometric timber screen with timber finial set on brackets. Two tall brick chimneys with multiple steps and ornate strap work, and paired Chinese lantern pots on each chimney. Cement tiles replaced originally diamond-shaped fibro tiles. Return verandah across front to projecting gable has concrete floor, originally timber. Verandah supports are waisted tapered timber posts with fluting each side, with simple arched solid timber valance between each post. Windows have timber sills, across gable windows. Front door has small leadlight panels in top of timber door, below is a large bolection mould panel with two timber risers in centre of panel. Original door knob is situated below this panel well below lock rail with a horizontal moulded panel with timber riser in centre. Property fence is a low wall of rustic sandstone.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.
Further information: GS

History

Historical notes: Land bought in October 1891 by Ralph and Harry Richardson of Granville. The land was immediately mortgaged to provide œ500 to build this house. Another œ120 was obtained to complete the house. The Richardsons offered it for sale on on 19 May 1893 and it was soon sold to Thomas Irons, engineer, who was long associated with the Clyde Engineering Works. Some years later, Richardson instigated the construction of a holiday cottage at Thirroul, called "Wyewurk". In later years, D. H. Lawrence, wrote his novel, Kangaroo in Wyewurk. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Land brought in 1891 by Ralph and Harry Richardson of Granville. The land was immediately mortgaged to provide 500 pounds to build this house. Another 120 pounds was borrowed before completion. The property was offered for sale May 1893 and it was sold to Thomas Irons, engineer who was for a long time associated with Clyde Engineering Works. | SD 1932: "Castle Maison' Private Hospital, Miss B.S. Cassells matron | SD 1930: | SD 1929: | SD 1925: | SD 1924: Bezsant, Alfred | SD 1920: Bezsant, Albert J. | SD 1918: Irons, Mrs D. | SD 1917: No entry | SD 1915: (SEE Railway Street) Irons, David " Blenheim" | SD 1910: (SEE Railway Street) Irons, Thomas " Blenheim" | SD 1909: (SEE Railway Street) Irons, Thomas J.P. | SD 1892: (SEE Railway Street) Starkey, Mrs ? | Land was bought in October 1891 by Ralph and Harry Richardson of Granville. It was mortgaged to provide 500 pounds to build this house. A further 120 pounds was required to complete the house. Richardsons offered the property for sale 19 May 1893 and it was soon sold to Thomas Irons, engineer, who was long associated with Clyde engineering. | | |

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is aesthetically significant.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan 55321 Feb 97 20873

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993553Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240553


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.