Cottage | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Cottage

Item details

Name of item: Cottage
Other name/s: Cottage, Homes For Unemployed
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Cottage
Primary address: 29 Bertha Street, Merrylands, NSW 2160
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT342DP1260
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
29 Bertha StreetMerrylandsParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

House at 29 Bertha Street is of significance for the local area for historical, social and representativeness reasons. Built c.1925, it is readily identifiable as part of historic building stock and is strongly contributing to the streetscape. This was the first cottage built by the Granville Voluntary Workers Association and was presented to Private Charles Lewis after a gala procession with brass bands, and a parade leading from Good Street, Granville to this cottage on 15 December 1917. The VWA was a body formed during World War One to erect houses for men incapacitated by the war or to house their widows. The cottage, worth 450 pounds, was erected at a cost of 250 pounds due to the use of voluntary labour.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1925-
Physical description: Single storey Post-Federation weatherboard cottage, now renovated, has asymmetrical front with gabled room and verandah. The gable is plain. Verandah has hipped return on end and new brick posts for timber posts. There is a bracketed awning to front window with 2/2 double sashes. Front fence is new picket fence and gate.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Fair
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.

History

Historical notes: This allotment was donated to John Nobbs, Richard E.Burns and Hector Kirkpatrick, the trustees of the Granville Voluntary Workers Association on 29 September 1917 for the nominal price of 10 shillings along with another allotment. The VWA was a body formed during World War One to erect houses for men incapacitated by the war or to house their widows. The price of the houses could then be paid off on liberal terms. This was the first cottage built by the Granville VWA and was presented to Private Charles Lewis after a gala procession with brass bvands, and a parade leading from Good Street, Granville to this cottage on 15 December 1917. Te cottage, worth 450 pounds, was erected at a cost of 250 pounds due to the use of voluntary labour. Lewis sold the cottage in March 1929. For some years, it was the only cottage on this side of the street.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item is historically significant
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
This item has a significant level of association
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
This item is of social significance
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This item is rare
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanAmendment No 2 20 Apr 01 711979

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2245018


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.