Cottage | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Cottage

Item details

Name of item: Cottage
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 66 Cross Street, Guildford, NSW 2161
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT3 DP4907
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
66 Cross StreetGuildfordParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The house at 66 Cross Street is of significance for the local area for historical reasons and as a representative of Interwar-period houses in the local area. The house, built c. 1920, is readily identifiable as part of the historic building stock of the area and makes a contribution to the area character.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1920-
Physical description: Single storey timber framed bungalow cottage with corrugated iron roof. It has asymmetrical gable to front and roof sweeping down over verandah, with no change in pitch. Upper wall is sheeted with fibro which has been rough cast rendered, above a rusticated weatherboard dado of broad Edwardian-style boards. Leadlight glazed casement sash windows in board multi-sash window assemblies. 1910s style glass with blown medallions. Geometric Japanese-influenced valence detail to verandah with short latticed posts set upon shaped roughcast piers, integral with the rendered brick balustrade to verandah. Fibro gable panel. Originally, house had a front door with a leadlight assembly, and the propoerty fence was timber framed cyclone mesh fence.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.

History

Historical notes: This allotment plus two others adjacent were transferred to John Olive, woollen mill manager and Leslie McDougall, bank manager, both of Liverpool in January 1911. In January 1918, this allotment was sold for £66 to George Brenton, a carpenter from Kempsey who probably erected the cottage. It was named "Oswald" in 1924.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item is historically significant
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is aesthetically significant
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This item is rare
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanAmendment No 2 20 Apr 01 711979

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2245036


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.