Tintern | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Tintern

Item details

Name of item: Tintern
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 33 Tintern Avenue, Telopea, NSW 2117
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT9 DP28328
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
33 Tintern AvenueTelopeaParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Tintern, at 33 Tintern Avenue, is of significance for the local area for historical reasons, and as a representative example of Federation houses in the area. The house, built c. 1912, is readily identifiable as part of the historic building stock in the area and strongly contributes to the character of the streetscape.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1900-
Physical description: Tintern is a single storey, timber framed weatherboard house with asymmetrical plan and with thrust front room under gable projecting off main hipped roof clad with corrugated galvanised iron. The house features a bullnosed corrugated iron roof verandah, two facebrick chimneys, timber verandah floor on brick base, and rusticated weatherboards to three elevations. Windows are paired double-hung, sashed to gable end and front wall, with coloured glass in margin panes. Rear skillion has an awning with new metal roof. Other features include an original name plate, reconstructed verandah posts and floor, rendered brick steps and five panel front door. Property lot contains also a fibro cement shed/garage to south, brick base to original picket fence.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good.
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.

History

Historical notes: In August 1907, two large allotments at the corner of Felton Street and Tintern Avenue were transferred to John Robert Tunks, a warder of Parramatta. He mortgaged the site in 1907, 1910 and 1911, possibly to plant the land as an orchard and probably to finance the erection of this cottage, the first to be built in Tintern Avenue. He is first listed here in the 1912 Sands Directory. Tunks used the land as an orchard and was listed as a fruit grower for many years in the Sands Directory. His orchard is visible in an aerial photograph of March 1930. The land on which the orchard stood was subdivided in December 1957.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item is historically significant
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
This item has a significant level of association
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is aesthetically significant
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanAmendment No 2 20 Apr 01 711979

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2245122


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.