Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church and Ventnor (sandstone house) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church and Ventnor (sandstone house)

Item details

Name of item: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church and Ventnor (sandstone house)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: 193 Avoca Street, Randwick, NSW 2031
Local govt. area: Randwick
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
193 Avoca StreetRandwickRandwick  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

A fine mid Victorian house excellently sited on the ridge overlooking Coogee Bay, which is surrounding by mature Moreton bay Fig and Camphor Laurel trees.
Date significance updated: 10 Sep 18
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1870-1888
Physical description: A large two storey Georgian style sandstone house. The large paned sash windows and flat cast iron columns, to the single storey and concave iron verandah are Victorian. The entrance is marked by a large six panel door with side lights and fanlights. A blind arcaded single storey wing extends to the west which was a former servants quarters and kitchen building. Much of the interior appears intact, but in poor condition. Exterior unaltered except for enclosure of rear verandah. Stonework has deteriorated in places, especially on magnificent chimney. Slate roof. Huge grounds. Many large fig trees. Rectangular plan with rear single storey extension. Hard to see from Avoca Street (rear elevation), Best view is from Milford Street (side).

History

Historical notes: Built in 1858 by Edward Dawson whose brother, John, built Burnside in nearby Short Street (recently demolished). Alderman George Kiss who was Mayor of Randwick in 1878 bought the property in the 1870s. His family lived in Ventnor until 1963 when it was sold to the Sacred Heart Church. The architect of Ventnor is unknown but the style is reminiscent of Blacket’s work.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRandwick Local Environmental Plan 1998 - Sch37526 Jun 98 975007
Local Environmental PlanRandwick LEP 2012i28415 Feb 13   

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2310074


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.