Randwick Public School and Randwick North Public School | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Randwick Public School and Randwick North Public School

Item details

Name of item: Randwick Public School and Randwick North Public School
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Education
Category: School - State (public)
Primary address: 78 Cowper Street, Randwick, NSW 2031
Local govt. area: Randwick
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
78 Cowper StreetRandwickRandwick  Primary Address
Avoca StreetRandwickRandwick  Alternate Address

Description

Construction years: 1886-
Physical description: Randwick Public School:
Large early twentieth century building, dated 1924. Complex form with projections and recesses. Small porches. Two storey brick with slate roof. Limited decoration includes two olour brickwork and small roughcast section.

Randwick North High School:
Former Public School, dated 1886. Original fabric completely altered. Original form retained but all detailing lost. Now fully rendered. More recent additions on either side appear to be 1940’s or 1930’s. Part of historic Church Council group with townscape potential.

History

Historical notes: Randwick Public School:
Church of England Denominational School was converted to become Randwick’s first Public School in 1883, on the site of the present Post Office. A new building was completed in 1886, on Avoca Street, now part of Randwick North High School. Became a Superior Public School in 1913 and a Junior High School in 1944. The primary school now operates from this building on Cowper Street which was completed in 1924.



Randwick North High School:
Erected in 1886 on 0.8 hectares (2 acres) to accommodate Randwick’s first public school. The Church of England Denominational School which occupied the original St Jude’s Church building, on the site of the present Randwick Post Office, was converted to Randwick Public School in 1883. Lessons continued at St Judes until the new building was ready for classes. The northern wing was completed in 1909. Additional buildings were erected and in 1913 the school was officially deemed a Superior Public School. Enrolment reached almost 2,000 in the 1920s and 1930s making it one of the State’s largest schools. Education was up tointermediate standard was provided. In 1944 Randwick Boys’ Junior High School was established. Randwick Girls’ High School and Randwick North High School commenced in 1966. Randwick Public School (primary school) which celebrated its centenary in 1983 now occupies the gable roofed building at the rear (fronting Cowper Street).

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRandwick Local Environmental Plan 1998 - Sch319326 Jun 98 975014
Local Environmental PlanRandwick LEP 2012i26615 Feb 13   

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2310192


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.