Eastwood House (former house) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Eastwood House (former house)

Item details

Name of item: Eastwood House (former house)
Other name/s: Marist College Eastwood
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 40-44 Hillview Road, Eastwood, NSW 2122
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
40-44 Hillview RoadEastwoodRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Eastwood House is of important local historical significance as one of the earliest houses in the district, built for William Rutledge and his family in 1837, and later the residence of Edward Terry, foundation Mayor of Ryde, and his family (1863-1907). Eastwood House has both historical and social significance as the source of the name of the suburb Eastwood, The house has historical associations with important 19th century settlers William Rutledge, and Edward Terry, and with the Marist Brothers since 1929. William Rutledge, for whom the house was built in 1837, was a nephew of Dr Thomas Forster of the nearby Deniston (sic), a government contractor and Director of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney. He and his family resided at "Eastwood, Field of Mars" from 1837 till 1844. Edward Terry, who purchased the Eastwood estate in 1863, was an influential figure in the district and notably Ryde Council's first mayor in 1871. Edward Terry and his family resided at Eastwood from 1863 till Terry's death in 1907. The site has been associated with Marist Brothers since 1929 and with a Marist Brothers school use since 1937. The house has aesthetic significance as a rare, fine Old Colonial Georgian style house completed by 1837 for William Rutledge, with 1866 additions designed by architect John Frederick Hilly for Edward Terry. Eastwood House has social significance as the site of a Marist Brothers school since 1937. Eastwood House and its site has archaeological potential as a site of European occupation since 1837.
Date significance updated: 23 May 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1834-1837
Physical description: A substantial Old Colonial Georgian style single storey house set on a large allotment which has been extensively developed as Marist College.

The house was built to face south, with the rear elevation facing north. Hillview Road is to the east, and the view of the house from Hillview Road is predominantly of the eastern rear wing. The house in the 1860s featured attics with three dormer windows on the rear, northern elevation of the roof. By 1943, the configuration of the house is an asymmetrical "U" with eastern and western rear wings of unequal length, and a front verandah wrapping across the front southern elevation and around both corners to east and west.

The house is of painted brick and in the 1860s had a hipped slate roof with a central valley. The main house now has a corrugated steel roof with a new shallow-pitched gabled section over what was originally the central roof valley. The two original brick chimneys survive, however the three dormer windows on the north elevation of the roof, shown clearly in 1860s photos and on the 1943 aerial photo of the site, are now gone. The front elevation verandah has a corrugated steel roof supported on timber posts, which are paired to frame the central entry. Windows are timber-framed double-hung with 6 panes per sash with timber shutters. The central timber-panelled entry door has a fanlight above.

The painted brick eastern rear wing near Hillview Road, likely an 1866 addition, has a hipped concrete tile roof, three rendered brick chimneys to the northern end, and timber-framed double hung windows with 2 panes per sash and vertical glazing bars and timber shutters.

The house retains a garden setting to the street adjacent to the eastern rear wing, however the setting is compromised by a hard-surfaced driveway to the front (south) and hard-surfaced school playground areas to the west and north.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:30 Nov 11
Modifications and dates: 1866:, the dwelling was extended to plans prepared by architect, Hilly. This extension may have included the eastern rear wing and dormer windows to the north elevation of the roof.
Undated alterations which are evident are: replacement of slate roof with corrugated steel, gabled central roof extension over original valley; removal of northern dormer windows, concrete tile roof to eastern rear wing, hard surfacing to most of the surrounds of the house.
Current use: School Administration
Former use: Homestead

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The AHO and the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, the recognised custodians for this area, as well as members of the local Aboriginal community generally agree that the term Guringai may not be the original name for the area, tribe or language, however, given the lack of any credible alternative, it is considered to be an appropriate and convenient term to represent the area as distinct from other parts of Sydney. The clan names are in some regards less contentious for some areas. The City of Ryde Council area is commonly accepted to be Wallumedegal country (various spellings). The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: "the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave." (Information from City of Ryde Aboriginal Site Management Report, Aboriginal Heritage Office, 2011).

The first land grants in Eastwood were given in 1794 to Samuel Wheeler, Rev. James Bain, John Redman, Patrick Campbell, Thomas Bride, Zadoc Petit and William Patullo. Land grants continued in the area until 1801, although this period also saw many original grants sold to local landowners to form larger farms. Captain John Macarthur purchased several land grants in the area between1794 and 1799. He later sold this land to Joseph Holt, who, on behalf of Lt. William Cox, amalgamated 14 farms in the Field of Mars district into one estate. This amalgamation of farms did not last long. William Cox sold some of the estate to D’Arcy Wentworth at the area’s first auction in 1804. In 1807 Gregory Blaxland established Brush Farm Estate from nine farms purchased from D’Arcy Wentworth, thought to be the original land grants of Wheeler, Bain, Redman, Campbell, Bride, Petit and Patullo. Major Edward Darvall, a retired English army officer, leased Denistone Farm from Dr Foster in 1840, and later purchased a 400 acre estate in the Ryde area, covering part of Eastwood and West Ryde. William Rutledge bought land in 1835, including land originally granted to Lt. William Kent and John Love in the 1790s. This formed Eastwood Estate (the site of Eastwood House) that was purchased by Edward Terry in 1865. Terry developed the property and was an influential figure in Ryde’s history, most notably as Ryde Council’s first mayor.

Edward Terry encouraged the development of the Eastwood area, including influencing the government to run the new Strathfield to Hornsby rail line through his property in the 1880s. The main camp for the railway workers was set up in the area, leading to the establishment of a local school, Post Office and hotel in Eastwood. Brush Farm was subdivided from 1881, and Darvall Estate from 1902. When Terry’s Estate subdivisions were offered for sale from 1905, businesses began to move into Rowe Street. By the 1920s Rowe Street was established as Eastwood’s commercial centre.
The first Anglican Church in Eastwood was built in 1884 as the Main Camp Church for the railway workers, but numbers dwindled after the completion of the railway line in 1886 and the building was taken down. In 1906 Rev. J.H. Mullens, the rector of St Anne’s Ryde, decided to support the establishment of a church at Eastwood. Mrs Darvall gave two blocks of land on the corner of Rutledge Street and Shaftesbury Road for a site for the new church and Mr E. Terry made a gift of 100 pounds towards building costs (Northern District Times 9/5/2007, p32).

ITEM HISTORY
William Rutledge (1806-1876) bought land in 1835, including land originally granted to Lt. William Kent and John Love in the 1790s. This formed Eastwood Estate (the site of Eastwood House). It is evident from newspaper notices of the period, that William Rutledge and his family had built a house and occupied the property, known as "Eastwood, Field of Mars" from at least 1837 till 1844, though Rutledge was giving his address as "Field of Mars, Parramatta" from 1834. William Rutledge, of Irish origin, had arrived in Sydney in December 1829 with his uncle Dr. Thomas Forster (who leased nearby Deniston (sic) from his father-in-law Gregory Blaxland of Brush Farm). Rutledge was a government contractor and a director of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney, who later moved to Victoria.

In 1848 the Estate was home to a failed attempt to build a local silk industry under the supervision of James Beuzeville from a London silk-weaving firm. The estate then had several owners, including Dr William Sherwin who was the first Medical graduate in the colony, before it was purchased by Edward Terry in 1863. Terry developed the property and was an influential figure in Ryde’s history, most notably as Ryde Council’s first mayor in 1871.

Edward Terry was grandson to Samuel Terry, a convict who went on to great financial success, and also a grandson to Richard Rouse, a wealthy settler and colonial official associated with Rouse Hill. Edward Terry bought the Eastwood Estate as a young newly married man. Terry was a sporting gentleman, interested in local and colonial politics. His brother Richard Rouse Terry followed him to the district in 1874, buying the 100-acre Denistone Estate and building an imposing new stone mansion which he called Denistone House. In 1865 Eastwood Estate was a 90-acre property comprising an orangery and orchard of nearly 3000 apple and plum trees. The house, built by William Rutledge and completed c.. 1834-1837, was described as a "beautifully situated commodious brick-built family residence, containing six rooms, kitchen, servants' rooms, also detached stables, coach-house, gardeners' house, and other out-offices". Terry engaged architect John Frederick Hilly to extend the house. Within a few years Terry had expanded his holdings with the purchase of 170 acres adjoining the estate to the north. He landscaped part of the estate, creating a series of ornamental lakes, complete with small islands and black swans. On the east side of the house were ornamental fish ponds. Palm trees were planted in abundance and lawns and garden beds were laid out around the house. There was a tennis court, with a small grandstand, a large croquet lawn, and a racetrack. Notable visitors to Eastwood House for organized hunts included George Reed (Prime Minister), Sir Harry Rawson (Governor of NSW) and Banjo Paterson (poet).

Edward Terry was mayor for Ryde in 1871-73, 1875-6 and 1899, and was a member of the NSW Legislative Assembly from 1898 to 1904. During these years Terry encouraged the development of the Eastwood area, including influencing the government to run the new Strathfield to Hornsby rail line through his property in the 1880s. The main camp for the railway workers was set up in the area, leading to the establishment of a local school, Post Office and hotel in Eastwood. Brush Farm was subdivided from 1881, and Darvall Estate from 1902. When Terry’s Estate subdivisions were offered for sale from 1905, businesses began to move into Rowe Street. By the 1920s Rowe Street was established as Eastwood’s commercial centre.

Terry died in 1907. After the Estate was subdivided, Eastwood House was sold to the Lindley family and was then acquired for 2,400 pounds by the Marist Brothers in 1929. It became the first Catholic Presbytery in the district, and was converted into an Administration block when the Marist Brothers opened a school on the site in 1937. On 2 February 1937, Brother Leopold Smith and three other Marist brothers (Brothers Ervan McDonough, Loyola Sullivan and Kenneth Harris) opened St Kevin's Boys' School, with 100 students. In the 1960s the school was known as Marist Brothers' High School, Eastwood, and on 2 April 1993 the name of the school was changed to Marist College Eastwood. Eastwood house forms the central administration block for the College today.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Major 19th century local land holders-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Major 19th Century local land holders-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Changing land uses from rural to suburban/ subdivision of large estates-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Naming places (toponymy)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Nineteenth Century Development-
6. Educating-Educating Education-Activities associated with teaching and learning by children and adults, formally and informally. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Eastwood House is of State historical significance as one of the earliest houses in the district, built for William Rutledge and his family in c. 1834-1837, and later the residence of Edward Terry, foundation Mayor of Ryde, and his family (1863-1907). Eastwood House is the source of the name of the suburb Eastwood, and originally the centre of a large gentleman's estate.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The house has historical associations with important 19th century settlers William Rutledge, and Edward Terry, and with the Marist Brothers since 1929.

William Rutledge, for whom the house was built in 1837, was a nephew of Dr Thomas Forster of the nearby Deniston (sic), a government contractor and Director of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney. He and his family resided at "Eastwood, Field of Mars" from 1837 till 1844.

Edward Terry, who purchased the Eastwood estate in 1863, was grandson to Samuel Terry, a convict who went on to great financial success, and also a grandson to Richard Rouse, a wealthy settler and colonial official associated with Rouse Hill. Edward Terry was an influential figure in the district and notably Ryde Council's first mayor in 1871. Edward Terry and his family resided at Eastwood from 1863 till Terry's death in 1907. Edward Terry's brother, Richard Rouse Terry, purchased the nearby Denistone estate in 1874.

The site has been associated with Marist Brothers since 1929 and with a Marist Brothers school use since 1937.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The house has aesthetic significance as a fine Old Colonial Georgian style house completed by 1837 for William Rutledge, with 1866 additions designed by architect John Frederick Hilly for Edward Terry.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Eastwood House has social significance as the source of the name of the suburb Eastwood, and for its school use since 1937.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Eastwood House has archaeological potential as a site of European occupation since 1837. There is opportunity for archaeological deposits in the under-floor areas of the house, and also on the land there is a possibility of archaeological evidence of former outbuildings.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The dwelling is a rare example of the Old Colonial Georgian style and one of the earliest houses in the Ryde area (built 1837).
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The dwelling is a fine representative example of the Old Colonial Georgain style.
Integrity/Intactness: The fabric of the house exterior remains relatively intact, despite some later alterations.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION:A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. It is recommended, however, that a Conservation Management Plan is prepared for the house, built in 1837, with 1866 and later alterations, involving detailed historical and fabric analysis to determine future management. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. Due to the archaeological potential of the land, any future development on the site involving excavation should involve consultation with the NSW Heritage Council's archaeological staff, and may require an archaeological assessment report. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTY: (Note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The following advice provides general principles that should be respected by all development.) Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of the building should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. All significant exterior fabric should be retained and conserved. The setting of the property should be protected from the impacts of development and significant plantings, walls, paths and other landscape elements should be retained in a manner that will not threaten the viability of significant gardens, landscapes or views. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades (generally, but not limited to, those visible from the street or a public place including the water) should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Sandstone and face brickwork should not be painted or coated. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: All development should respect the principle of ‘do as much as necessary but as little as possible’. In most instances, new work should not attempt to replicate historic forms. A ‘contemporary neutral’ design that sits quietly on the site, and enhances the quality of the item, will be a more sympathetic outcome than a ‘fake’ historic building. Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. Attic rooms must be accommodated in the original roof form. Solid fences or high walls on street boundaries and structures - including car parking structures - forward of the front building line are strongly discouraged. Later unsympathetic alterations are evident such as the gabled roof addition and loss of dormer windows to the main section of the house and concrete roof tiling to the eastern wing. The school setting could also be softened through an appropriate landscape plan. Eastwood House should be nominated by the City of Ryde for entry on the State Heritage Register.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 201055   
Local Environmental PlanDraft Ryde LEP 2011I55   
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2014I5502 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP No. 10513717 Jan 03 14349
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study1988137Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Review of 1988 Ryde Heritage Study.2002 Hill Thalis Architecture and Urban Projects.  Yes
Ryde SHI Review Stage 12012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 2011Wikipedia - Marist College Eastwood page
Written  Australian Dictionary of Biography online - entry for William Rutledge
WrittenDr. Sascha Jenkins2011Historical Research for Ryde SHI Review Stage 1, Paul Davies Pty Ltd
WrittenGeeves, Phillip1970A Place of Pioneers:The Centenary History of the Municipality of Ryde
WrittenMartin, Megan1998A Pictorial History of Ryde
WrittenMcClymont, Beverly2010Eastwood, Dictionary of Sydney entry
WrittenNorthern District Times1998If the walls could talk (Eastwood House now administration building of Marist Boys College) (newspaper article, 13 May 1998)
WrittenNorthern District Times1995History tells tales out of school (newspaper article, 5 April 1995, p. 4)
WrittenShaw, Kevin (Ed.),2002Historic Ryde: A guide to some significant heritage sites in Sydney
WrittenTGP Architects2002Marist College Eastwood, Eastwood House: proposed alterations and statement of environmental effects

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340010


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.