Hazelville - Federation Queen Anne style dwelling | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Hazelville - Federation Queen Anne style dwelling

Item details

Name of item: Hazelville - Federation Queen Anne style dwelling
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 60 Pellisier Road, Putney, NSW 2112
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
60 Pellisier RoadPutneyRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The house, Hazelville, built circa 1917, is of historical significance as part of an early twentieth century riverfront subdivision of Putney. The dwelling has historical association with Michael Jospeph Connington, a member of the Labour movement, industrial advocate and Member of the NSW Legislative Assembly (MLA from 1919), and his family, who continued to own the property well into the 20th century. The house is of aesthetic significance as a fine, substantial Federation Queen Anne style residence in a prominent waterfront location fronting Morrisons Bay, Putney, representative of the style, and rare in the Putney area. .
Date significance updated: 26 Feb 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The site is on the eastern side of Pellisier Road Putney and retains a section of land which fronts Morrisons Bay.

The house is a substantial brick single storey Federation Queen Anne style house, built at the front of a large allotment overlooking the river. The front fence comprises capped brick piers with fine decorative iron gates and fencing. There is a side driveway. The house is asymmetrical with a projecting bay to one side and a wrap-around verandah to the other. The terracotta tiled roof is hipped with gabled bays and a small dormer window to the street facade. Chimneys are roughcast. The house is constructed of tuck-pointed red face-brickwork with a contrasting brick string course and window heads. The gable ends and awnings are clad in painted timber shingles, and the base course is rendered. The verandah features fine decorative fretwork brackets to timber posts set on capped masonry piers. Timber casement windows (grouped in fours) feature coloured glass panes. The front door is glazed with fan and side lights. Other than the cladding of the primary ridge with sheet metal, the exterior appears to be largely intact.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:15 Aug 12
Modifications and dates: Appears intact. A corrugated iron hipped roof above the main terracotta tiled roof of the house may be a later addition to the roof. The site has been subdivided since 1943, however still retains a small water frontage.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The AHO and the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, the recognised custodians for this area, as well as members of the local Aboriginal community generally agree that the term Guringai may not be the original name for the area, tribe or language, however, given the lack of any credible alternative, it is considered to be an appropriate and convenient term to represent the area as distinct from other parts of Sydney. The clan names are in some regards less contentious for some areas. The City of Ryde Council area is commonly accepted to be Wallumedegal country (various spellings). The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: 'the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave.’ (Information taken from City of Ryde Aboriginal Site Management Report, Aboriginal Heritage Office, 2011).

Putney shares its early history with Ryde, as part of the Eastern Farms (located east of Parramatta), which were granted to emancipists and others in the first decade of settlement. It was of one the first areas of British settlement in the colony. The peninsula on the western side of Morrisons Bay is the heart of Putney today, and was originally part of the land granted to Nicholas Bayley in 1799. Putney’s western boundary is Church Street from the Parramatta River to Morrison Road. Morrison Road generally forms the northern boundary and borders the land grants made to ex-convicts William Careless, John Jones, John Morris, Richard Cheers and James Weavers on 3 January 1792. These were referred to as the Eastern Farms, later known as Kissing Point, a name believed to have originated from the way in which heavily laden boats passing up the Parramatta River bumped or 'kissed' the rocky outcrop which extends into the river at today's Kissing Point. By October these settlers had cleared their land and planted crops of maize.

From around 1805 to the 1840s, the farm boundaries began to change as many landholders' efforts were unsuccessful and their land was bought up by more successful farmers and wealthier settlers. In that time, the farming practices changed from the growing of cereal crops to the production of fruit, especially citrus, peaches, apricots and grapes. James Squire was originally granted land in the Eastern Farms in 1795. He arrived in the First Fleet on board "Charlotte". At the 1802 Muster, James Squire owned 118 hectares of land of which nearly 50 hectares were cleared and 11 planted with wheat and corn. By 1806, his land holding included the farms of 13 early grantees. In 1822, shortly before his death, he purchased Bayley's original grant of 47 hectares. It is on this grant that the original Putney was built.

The land was later sold to Eugene Delange who subdivided the land calling it the Village of Eugenie.
In 1856, Eugène Delange bought what had been the Bayley grant for subdivision. Delange called the subdivision the Village of Eugénie and named many of the roads after generals in Louis Napoleon III's army that won the day at Sebastopol (at least in the Francophile view of the resolution) in the Crimean War. Eugénie was the name of the wife of Napoleon III and was also reminiscent of his own given name, Eugène.

The main street was originally called Napoleon Street but this has changed to Delange Road. Others named after French marshals were Bosquet Street, changed to Phillip Street, and Canrobert Street, now Morrison Road. Only Pellisier Street remains, although that is misspelt from the original spelling of Marshal Pélissier's name. ( Alex McAndrew, Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise, the author, Epping NSW, 2003, pp 3, 4, 13-32; Gregory Blaxell, 'The generals of Putney', Northern District Times, 2 April 2008, p 21).

The estate did not sell except for a few blocks suitable as small farms. In 1878, Delange's son sold 49 hectares to Phillip Walker. Walker changed the street names from French to a more English orientation. The estate was advertised in December 1878 and finally went on sale in February 1879. (Alex McAndrew, Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise, the author, Epping NSW, 2003, p 29-32). Walker also bought some of the original Callaghan grant to enlarge the subdivision. It was probably Phillip Walker who first conjured up the name Putney for his subdivision of 1879, after a London suburb on the River Thames, site of the famous Oxford/Cambridge boat race.
(Alex McAndrew, Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise, the author, Epping NSW, 2003, Putney subdivision map, p 30).

ITEM HISTORY
The site was likely part of a later resubdivision of Phillip Walker's 1879 Putney subdivision.

Sand’s Sydney Directory for 1918 is the first to list Pellisier Road, without any numbering, and The Hon. M.J. Connington appears as a resident in Pellisier Road in 1918.

Ryde Council Valuation books show Michael Joseph Connington as the owner of a house on Lot 9, north side of Pellisier Road, with the house name "Hazelville" in the Valuation book of 1924. The 1924 Valuation record notes the property contains a "Brick cottage, 6 rooms, tile roof; weatherboard shed, iron roof; sulky shed, boat shed and baths, iron roofs".

In the 1939 Valuation book the property is registered as No. 50 Pellisier Road, and then in the ownership of the Estate of the late Michael Joseph Connington. By 1947 the Ryde Valuation book shows the property (with No. 50 crossed out and No. 60 inserted, indicating a street numbering change around this time), in the ownership of Audley Patrick Connington, Reginald Cutting, Hazel Maude Moffit and M. Joyce Brown.

This evidence indicates the house at No. 60 Pellisier Road "Hazelville" was built for Michael J. Connington and his family by 1918.

Michael Connington married Hannah M. Cutting (born 1881 at Molong) in Sydney in 1907 (NSW Marriage Certificate 392/1907). Three children were born to the couple between 1907 and 1911, with the births registered at Sydney and Canterbury. A young son of the couple, Claude (born 1907 at Sydney), died in 1919, with the death registered at Ryde, further confirmation that the couple had moved to the Ryde district by this time.

Michael Joseph Connington was a Member of the Legislative Assembly and a very popular advocate at the Industrial Commission of New South Wales for 29 years. He died in 1930, and his obituary in the Sydney Morning Herald noted "For the past 15 years Mr. Connington had carried on the business of industrial advocate. He was a highly popular member of the Labour movement. Mr. Connington was born at Roscommon, Ireland, and came to Sydney with his parents at an early age. He received his education at the Marist Brothers’ school, Darlinghurst, and started life as a traveller for a Sydney firm. He left, however, for New Zealand, where he resided for some years. On his return to Sydney he was appointed secretary of the Trolly and Drayman’s Union when Mr. W.M. Hughes [later Prime Minister] was president of that organization. In recognition of the services he rendered to the Labour movement he was appointed to the Upper House in 1919. He figured as industrial advocate in all the big cost of living and basic wage inquiries for many years. On several occasions he conducted cases gratis for clients who were financially embarrassed. During his illness, which extended over three months, he was visited at his home in Pellisier-Road Putney, by many callers, including Supreme Court judges and solicitors. Mr. Connington leaves a widow and five children, the youngest aged 11. Referring to Mr. Connington’s death yesterday, the Chief Industrial Magistrate (Mr. Prior) said that Mr. Connington had fought the battles of the workers with the utmost vigour, but always with reasonableness." (Obituary, Mr. M.J. Connington, M.L.C., SMH 4 December 1930, page 13). W.M. Hughes also published a tribute to Connington in the Sydney Monring Herald (SMH 9 December 1930, page 8).

The home remained in the Connington family well into the 20th century. Large tennis courts at the rear of the property and a swimming pool in the river at the rear of the property (described as "baths" in the 1924 Ryde Valuation book), made this home a focal point for the social life of the people of Putney during the Connington’s life.

Even by 1943, there were very few houses on Pellisier Road Putney south of Jetty Road, No. 60 being one of a small cluster of houses, still surrounded by vacant land (NSW Lands Dept 1943 aerial photo).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Nineteenth Century Development-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Leisure-Activities associated with recreation and relaxation Gathering at landmark places-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with prominent local persons-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The house, Hazelville, built circa 1917, is of historical significance as part of an early twentieth century riverfront subdivision of Putney.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The dwelling has historical association with Michael Jospeph Connington, a member of the Labour movement, industrial advocate and Member of the NSW Legislative Assembly (MLA from 1919), and his family, who continued to own the property well into the 20th century.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The house is of aesthetic significance as a fine, substantial Federation Queen Anne style residence in a prominent waterfront location fronting Morrisons Bay, Putney.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
No social significance has been identified.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The dwelling is considered to have little archeological or research potential.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The dwelling is a rare example of a substantial Federation style house in the Putney area.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The dwelling is a fine representative example of a Federation dwelling.
Integrity/Intactness: The dwelling is relatively intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTY: (Note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The following advice provides general principles that should be respected by all development.) Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of the building should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. All significant exterior fabric should be retained and conserved. The setting of the property should be protected from the impacts of development and significant plantings, walls, paths and other landscape elements should be retained in a manner that will not threaten the viability of significant gardens, landscapes or views. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades (generally, but not limited to, those visible from the street or a public place including the water) should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Sandstone and face brickwork should not be painted or coated. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: All development should respect the principle of ‘do as much as necessary but as little as possible’. In most instances, new work should not attempt to replicate historic forms. A ‘contemporary neutral’ design that sits quietly on the site, and enhances the quality of the item, will be a more sympathetic outcome than a ‘fake’ historic building. Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. Attic rooms must be accommodated in the original roof form. Solid fences or high walls on street boundaries and structures - including car parking structures - forward of the front building line are strongly discouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 201086   
Local Environmental PlanRyde DLEP 2011I86   
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2014I8602 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP No. 10531917 Jan 03 14352
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study1988319Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Review of 1988 Ryde Heritage Study.2002 Hill Thalis Architecture and Urban Projects.  Yes
Ryde SHI Review Stage 22012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 2012Research by Ryde Library Local Studies (Sands Directories, Ryde Valuation Books search)
Written 1930Sydney Morning Herald Obituary, Mr. M.J. Connington, M.L.C., SMH 4 December 1930, page 13
Written 1930Late Mr Connington: Tribute by Mr. Hughes M.P. - Sydney Morning Herald 9 December 1930, page 8
WrittenAlex McAndrew2003Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise
WrittenGregory Blaxell2010"Putney" entry, Dictionary of Sydney onlline

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340082


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.