Upna - Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Upna - Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling

Item details

Name of item: Upna - Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 24 Rutledge Street, Eastwood, NSW 2122
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
24 Rutledge StreetEastwoodRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The house, built 1909-1910, is of historical significance as evidence of the earliest development of the Clanwilliam Estate of 1907. The house has historical association with William Harry Tietkens, surveyor and explorer, for whom the house was built, and his family. The house is of aesthetic significance as a fine representative suburban example of the Federation Arts & Crafts style.
Date significance updated: 07 Dec 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: Clarence Percy Seccombe, builder
Construction years: 1909-1910
Physical description: A modest single storey Federation Arts and Crafts style house. The house is obscured from the street by a dense hedge planting which also acts as a screen to traffic along Rutledge Street. Appreciation of the 3-dimensional form is hindered by a garage. The street facade has informal massing with an offset street facing gable, featuring splayed buttresses to corners, bracketed eaves and a projecting bay window. The corner porch is roofed at a lower pitch. The gabled roof is clad in slate and features a tapered roughcast chimney. Upper wall surfaces are roughcast brickwork with some timber shingles and a half timbered detail to the gable end. The main body of the wall comprises brickwork which has been painted, below which is a rusticated stone base course. Fenestration comprises multipane timber casement windows. The roof is a gabled slate roof with metal flashings.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:07 Dec 11
Modifications and dates: Brickwork to walls has been painted. The site of Upna originally included the site of the adjacent 26 Rutledge Street (as evidenced by NSW Lands Dept 1943 aerial photo), however this has been sold and developed after 1943.
Current use: Dwelling
Former use: Dwelling

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: "the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave." (Information taken from City of Ryde Aboriginal Site Management Report, Aboriginal Heritage Office, 2011)

The first land grants in Eastwood were given in 1794 to Samuel Wheeler, Rev. James Bain, John Redman, Patrick Campbell, Thomas Bride, Zadoc Petit and William Patullo. Land grants continued in the area until 1801, although this period also saw many original grants sold to local landowners to form larger farms. Captain John Macarthur purchased several land grants in the area between1794 and 1799. He later sold this land to Joseph Holt, who, on behalf of Lt. William Cox, amalgamated 14 farms in the Field of Mars district into one estate. This amalgamation of farms did not last long. William Cox sold some of the estate to D’Arcy Wentworth at the area’s first auction in 1804. In 1807 Gregory Blaxland established Brush Farm Estate from nine farms purchased from D’Arcy Wentworth, thought to be the original land grants of Wheeler, Bain, Redman, Campbell, Bride, Petit and Patullo. Major Edward Darvall, a retired English army officer, leased Denistone Farm from Dr Foster in 1840, and later purchased a 400 acre estate in the Ryde area, covering part of Eastwood and West Ryde. William Rutledge bought land in 1835, including land originally granted to Lt. William Kent and John Love in the 1790s. This formed Eastwood Estate (the site of Eastwood House). It is evident from newspaper notices of the period, that William Rutledge and his family had built a house and occupied the property, known as "Eastwood, Field of Mars" from at least 1837 till 1844. William Rutledge, of Irish origin, had arrived in Sydney in December 1829 with his uncle Dr. Thomas Forster (who leased nearby Deniston (sic) from his father-in-law Gregory Blaxland of Brush Farm). Rutledge was a government contractor and a director of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney, who later moved to Victoria.

Edward Terry was mayor for Ryde in 1871-73, 1875-6 and 1899, and was a member of the NSW Legislative Assembly from 1898 to 1904. During these years Terry encouraged the development of the Eastwood area, including influencing the government to run the new Strathfield to Hornsby rail line through his property in the 1880s.

The original railway bridge across the Parramatta River was the Meadowbank Bridge, a lattice girder bridge designed for John Whitton, (Engineer-in-Chief of the NSW Railways between 1856 and 1890). The bridge was competed in August 1886 as part of the original infrastructure for the Main North Line, and the stations along the section of the line from North Strathfield to Hornsby also opened in 1886. The construction of the railway encouraged rapid subdivision and construction in the areas near the railway stations at Meadowbank, West Ryde, Denistone and Eastwood. once land became available for subdivision into suburban blocks.

The main camp for the railway workers was set up in the Eastwood area, leading to the establishment of a local school, Post office and hotel in Eastwood. Brush Farm was subdivided from 1881, and Darvall Estate from 1902. When Terry’s Estate subdivisions were offered for sale from 1905, businesses began to move into Rowe Street. By the 1920s Rowe Street was established as Eastwood’s commercial centre.

ITEM HISTORY
Rutledge Street was created with the subdivision of the Clanwilliam Estate in 1907. Upna, 24 Rutledge Street, was built on lot 9 of that subdivision, probably by an Eastwood builder named Clarence Percy Seccombe, who bought the lot in November 1909. Seccombe transferred the land to William Harry Tietkens in February 1910. A few months later Tietkens bought the adjoining lot 8.

Tietkens was a retired surveyor, prospector and explorer. He was born in Islington, London, in 1844 and sailed to South Australia at the age of 15. In 1873 and 1875 he acted as second-in-command of exploration parties led by Ernest Giles from northern South Australia to the western coast of the continent. In the 1880s he attempted to open country near Maralinga and Lake Amadeus for settlement but was unsuccessful and in 1891 he became a surveyor for the New South Wales Department of Lands. Tietkens retired in 1909 and presumably moved into Upna as soon as it was completed. Rutledge Street is listed in Sands' Sydney Directories for the first time in 1912 with Tietkens the only resident on the south side and Seccombe the builder the only resident on the north side.

The name Upna first appears in Sands' Directory in 1916. The Tietkens household included Tietkens' sister Emily who died in Eastwood in 1923 and his daughter Emily Mary before her marriage to Leonard Daniels. Daniels was an Anglican minister who became noted for ministering to his parish at Wilcannia by aeroplane. A photograph of Upna taken around 1920 shows the Tietkens household standing on the porch. Tietkens transferred the house to his daughter in 1931. He died at her home in Lithgow in 1933 but his funeral took place at St. Philip's Anglican church, Eastwood. His headstone in the Field of Mars cemetery remembers him as: "An explorer of the interior of Australia after life's journeyings safe at rest"

The site of Upna originally included the site of the adjacent 26 Rutledge Street (as evidenced by NSW Lands Dept 1943 aerial photo),

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Suburban Development-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with prominent local persons-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The house, built 1909-1910, is of historical significance as evidence of the earliest development of the Clanwilliam Estate of 1907.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The house has historical association with William Harry Tietkens, surveyor and explorer, for whom the house was built, and his family.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The house is of aesthetic significance as a fine suburban example of the Federation Arts & Crafts style.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The house is a representative suburban example of the Federation Queen Anne style.
Integrity/Intactness: Intact except for painting of exterior brickwork
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTY: (Note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The following advice provides general principles that should be respected by all development.) Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of the building should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. All significant exterior fabric should be retained and conserved. The setting of the property should be protected from the impacts of development and significant plantings, walls, paths and other landscape elements should be retained in a manner that will not threaten the viability of significant gardens, landscapes or views. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades (generally, but not limited to, those visible from the street or a public place including the water) should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Sandstone and face brickwork should not be painted or coated. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: All development should respect the principle of ‘do as much as necessary but as little as possible’. In most instances, new work should not attempt to replicate historic forms. A ‘contemporary neutral’ design that sits quietly on the site, and enhances the quality of the item, will be a more sympathetic outcome than a ‘fake’ historic building. Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. Attic rooms must be accommodated in the original roof form. Solid fences or high walls on street boundaries and structures - including car parking structures - forward of the front building line are strongly discouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2010108   
Local Environmental PlanDraft Ryde LEP 2011I108   
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2014I10802 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP No. 10532917 Jan 03 14354
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study1988329Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Ryde SHI Review Stage 12012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Ryde City Library Local Studies vertical file on the Tietkens family
WrittenBeverley McClymont2010Eastwood suburb history, Dictionary of Sydney online

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340092


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.