Ripley - Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Ripley - Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling

Item details

Name of item: Ripley - Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 14 Auld Avenue, Eastwood, NSW 2122
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
14 Auld AvenueEastwoodRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The dwelling "Ripley" is of historical significance as a house built on an originally 5-acre lot (Lot 3) of the 1897 Bush Farm Estate subdivision, which pre-dates the 1922 Lunds Estate subdivision of the area. The lot was purchased by Parnell Wressell Johnson and his wife Margaret Ann Johnson in January 1906, and sold to their daughter Annie Lund, wife of Charlie Lund wool broker, in March 1909, though as early as mid 1905 both the Johnsons and the Lunds were living on adjoining lots of the Brush Farm Estate (Lots 2 and 3). The dwelling Ripley has historical association with two early twentieth century local families, the Lunds and the Johnsons, in particular the Lunds, being Charles Lund, Wool Broker, and his wife Annie nee Johnson. Ripley is associated with its architect, George W. Durrell ARIBA, who designed the house in 1907. The house Ripley, No.14 Auld Avenue, is of aesthetic significance as a fine, architect-designed example of the Federation Arts & Crafts style, rare in the Eastwood area.
Date significance updated: 25 Feb 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: George W Durrell, architect
Construction years: 1907-1907
Physical description: A large two storey Federation Arts & Crafts style brick house located on the western side of Auld Avenue.

The house is set in large formally landscaped grounds, with a side driveway and a brick front fence with decorative steel infill panels and gates. The simple form of the building is enlivened by the ground floor level verandah which returns around the north-east corner of the house, and a central projecting balcony above the verandah at the entry point, with a timber shingled apron (now enclosed).

The slate roof is hipped with exposed eaves and features terracotta ridge capping and finials. The walls are of face brickwork with a contrasting brick highlight to window heads, sills and capping. The base is rendered. Fenestration includes groups of timber casement windows with coloured glass highlights and double hung sash windows to the side and upper level. Upper level windows feature timber shutters. The single storey verandah, which returns around the north-east corner of the house, has simple detailing with square timber posts and simple decorative valances.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:25 Feb 13
Modifications and dates: The first floor front balcony has been enclosed some time after 1979 (see 1979 photo of the house with the balcony intact, Ryde Library Local Studies Collection). The front fence has also been replaced since 1979.
Current use: Dwelling
Former use: Dwelling

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The AHO and the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, the recognised custodians for this area, as well as members of the local Aboriginal community generally agree that the term Guringai may not be the original name for the area, tribe or language, however, given the lack of any credible alternative, it is considered to be an appropriate and convenient term to represent the area as distinct from other parts of Sydney. The clan names are in some regards less contentious for some areas. The City of Ryde Council area is commonly accepted to be Wallumedegal country (various spellings). The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: "the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave."

The first land grants in Eastwood were given in 1794 to Samuel Wheeler, Rev. James Bain, John Redman, Patrick Campbell, Thomas Bride, Zadoc Petit and William Patullo. Land grants continued in the area until 1801, although this period also saw many original grants sold to local landowners to form larger farms. Captain John Macarthur purchased several land grants in the area between1794 and 1799. He later sold this land to Joseph Holt, who, on behalf of Lt. William Cox, amalgamated 14 farms in the Field of Mars district into one estate. This amalgamation of farms did not last long. William Cox sold some of the estate to D’Arcy Wentworth at the area’s first auction in 1804. In 1807 Gregory Blaxland established Brush Farm Estate from nine farms purchased from D’Arcy Wentworth, thought to be the original land grants of Wheeler, Bain, Redman, Campbell, Bride, Petit and Patullo. Major Edward Darvall, a retired English army officer, leased Denistone Farm from Dr Foster in 1840, and later purchased a 400 acre estate in the Ryde area, covering part of Eastwood and West Ryde. William Rutledge bought land in 1835, including land originally granted to Lt. William Kent and John Love in the 1790s. This formed Eastwood Estate (the site of Eastwood House) that was purchased by Edward Terry in 1865. Terry developed the property and was an influential figure in Ryde’s history, most notably as Ryde Council’s first mayor.

Edward Terry encouraged the development of the Eastwood area, including influencing the government to run the new Strathfield to Hornsby rail line through his property in the 1880s. The main camp for the railway workers was set up in the area, leading to the establishment of a local school, Post Office and hotel in Eastwood. Brush Farm was subdivided from 1881, and Darvall Estate from 1902. When Terry’s Estate subdivisions were offered for sale from 1905, businesses began to move into Rowe Street. By the 1920s Rowe Street was established as Eastwood’s commercial centre.
The first Anglican Church in Eastwood was built in 1884 as the Main Camp Church for the railway workers, but numbers dwindled after the completion of the railway line in 1886 and the building was taken down. In 1906 Rev. J.H. Mullens, the rector of St Anne’s Ryde, decided to support the establishment of a church at Eastwood. Mrs. Darvall gave two blocks of land on the corner of Rutledge Street and Shaftsbury Road for a site for the new church and Mr. E. Terry made a gift of 100 pounds towards building costs (Northern District Times 9/5/2007, p32).

ITEM HISTORY
Auld Avenue was created with the subdivision of Lund's Estate in 1922. However, both the house at No.4 Auld Avenue and the house at No.14 Auld Avenue were already in existence at the time of the subdivision. No.4 was built on lot 2 and No.14 on lot 3 of the 1897 subdivision of the Brush Farm Estate. These lots, both 5 acres in extent, were conveyed to Parnell Wressell Johnson and his wife Margaret Ann Johnson in June 1905 (lot 3) and January 1906 (lot 2). Johnson was an art teacher at Sydney Technical College and aged about 55 at that time. In March 1909 the Johnson's sold lot 3 to their daughter Annie LUND, wife of Charlie Lund wool broker. However, as early as mid 1905 both the Johnsons and the Lunds were living on these lots.

The Cumberland Argus & Fruitgrowers Advocate reported in June 1905 that a fire had recently destroyed the weatherboard residence in Eastwood of Mr. Johnson. The Johnsons had barely had enough time to escape and the adjoining residence of the Lunds only escaped a similar fate because the wind was blowing in the opposite direction. The Argus reported that Parnell Johnson's house consisted of only 3 rooms, "being part only of the home that was being built by degrees" but that it contained "a large quantity of furniture which had been stored pending the completion of the building, many valuable paintings, books etc - the accumulation of a life time". The loss was estimated at 1000 pounds. The Johnsons and the Lunds were given temporary shelter by Harry Smith at Curzon Hall in Marsfield. Entries in Sands' Sydney directories, confirmed by telephone directories and electoral rolls, suggest that by 1907 both Charlie Lund and Parnell Johnson were back in Eastwood, with houses rebuilt on the two lots. They are shown as resident in Blaxland's Road, the appropriate address at that time for houses built on lots 2 and 3 of the Brush Farm Estate. The house that is now No.4 was called Hetherwold and No.14 Ripley.

It seems that at first the Lunds lived at Hetherwold with the Johnsons at Ripley but a picture of Hetherwold published in Art & Architecture in 1909 describes the houses as a "villa residence" for "P.W. Johnson" and notes that the architect was George W. Durrell, an Associate member of the Royal Institute of British Architects (ARIBA). The picture seems to be from an original watercolour, painted by Johnson. Parnell Wressell Johnson died at Hetherwold in May 1911 and was buried at the Field of Mars Cemetery. Sometime after his death the Lunds moved into Ripley with Mrs. Johnson and Hetherwold was apparently leased. From 1913 to 1917 Sands' lists Robert D. Miller as the tenant.

In 1916 Margaret Ann Johnson sold lot 2 to Charlie Lund and the Lunds seemed to have moved back to Hetherwold around 1917. From 1918 Sands' lists Arthur Richard Wilson at Ripley. In April 1922 Charlie and Annie Lund offered most of the land which had once been lots 2 and 3 for sale as Lund's subdivision, creating Auld Avenue and Richards Avenue as part of the subdivision.

Ripley was sold in August 1923 to Arthur Richard Wilson and Beatrice Constance Mary Wilson.

Auld Street is first listed in Sands' in 1924 with Arthur Wilson the only resident. Thereafter until 1930 Arthur Wilson consistently appears at Ripley and in 1928 is listed for No.14 Auld Avenue.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Gentleman's villas-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Creative endeavour-Activities associated with the production and performance of literary, artistic, architectural and other imaginative, interpretive or inventive works; and/or associated with the production and expression of cultural phenomena; and/or environments that have inspired such creative activities. Architectural styles and periods - Federation-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with prominent local persons-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The dwelling "Ripley" is of historical significance as a house built on an originally 5-acre lot (Lot 3) of the 1897 Bush Farm Estate subdivision, which pre-dates the 1922 Lunds Estate subdivision of the area. The lot was purchased by Parnell Wressell Johnson and his wife Margaret Ann Johnson in January 1906, and sold to their daughter Annie Lund, wife of Charlie Lund wool broker, in March 1909, though as early as mid 1905 both the Johnsons and the Lunds were living on adjoining lots of the Brush Farm Estate (Lots 2 and 3).
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The dwelling Ripley has historical association with two early twentieth century local families, the Lunds and the Johnsons, in particular the Lunds, being Charles Lund, Wool Broker, and his wife Annie nee Johnson. Ripley is associated with its architect, George W. Durrell ARIBA, who designed the house in 1907.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The house Ripley, No.14 Auld Avenue, is of aesthetic significance as a fine, architect-designed example of the Federation Arts & Crafts style.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
No social significance has been identified.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The dwelling is considered to have little archeological or research potential.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The dwelling is a rare example of a Federation style dwelling in the Eastwood area.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The dwelling is a fine example of its type.
Integrity/Intactness: Dwelling is considered reasonably intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTY: (Note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis) Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of the building should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. This property is extremely unique for the Eastwood locality and must be preserved, its form and bulk must be retained on the subject site. All significant exterior and interior fabric should be retained and conserved. No further structures to the side and rear of the property will be permitted if they are visible from the Street boundary, the heritage listing relates to the vast title around the proximity of the property and this should be retained and preserved. The setting of the property should be protected from the impacts of development and significant plantings, walls, paths and other landscape elements should be retained in a manner that will not threaten the viability of significant gardens, landscapes or views. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades (generally, but not limited to, those visible from the street or a public place including the water) should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Sandstone and face brickwork should not be painted or coated. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: All development should respect the principle of ‘do as much as necessary but as little as possible’. In most instances, new work should not attempt to replicate historic forms. A ‘contemporary neutral’ design that sits quietly on the site, and enhances the quality of the item, will be a more sympathetic outcome than a ‘fake’ historic building. Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. Solid fences or high walls on street boundaries and structures - including car parking structures - forward of the front building line are strongly discouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2010    
Local Environmental PlanDraft Ryde LEP 2011I8   
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2014I802 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP No 10517217 Jan 03 14344
Heritage studyHouse172   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study1988172Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Review of 1988 Ryde Heritage Study.2002 Hill Thalis Architecture and Urban Projects.  Yes
Ryde SHI Review Stage 22012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340128


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.