Federation Queen Anne style dwelling group | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation Queen Anne style dwelling group

Item details

Name of item: Federation Queen Anne style dwelling group
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 61-77 Forsyth Street, West Ryde, NSW 2114
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
61-77 Forsyth StreetWest RydeRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The dwellings at Nos. 61-77 Forsyth Street are of historical significance as part of the early twentieth century subdivision and development pattern of West Ryde. All the houses on the west side of Forsyth Street were built between 1908 and 1911, by builder A. Anderson, adjacent to the Meadowbank Manufacturing Company works, as a speculative development. No direct historical association has been found between the houses and the Meadowbank Manufacturing Company. The dwellings have aesthetic significance as a fine group of Federation Queen Anne style dwellings with landmark quality as a streetscape group. Nos. 61-73 have technical significance in being constructed of rock-faced concrete blocks, an innovative building technology for the time of construction. The group of Federation Queen Anne style dwellings are rare in the West Ryde area as a complete group from the period 1908-1911 and for encompassing a rare group of concrete-block houses at Nos. 61-73 Forsyth Street.
Date significance updated: 07 Dec 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: A. Anderson, builder
Construction years: 1908-1911
Physical description: A group of nine modest single storey Federation Queen Anne style freestanding houses, set on regular allotments with side driveways, low brick or timber fencing (or no fencing), and small front gardens. The group is unified by a consistency in scale, form and siting, and to a lesser extent fabric and stylistic features. The bungalows have hipped roofs (originally clad in terracotta Marseillaise tiles) and feature an offset gabled bay and verandah to the street facades.

Nos. 61-73 Forsyth Street are unusual in having been constructed of rock-faced (rusticated) concrete blocks.

No. 61 Forsyth Street has rusticated concrete block walls, a terracotta tiled hipped and gabled roof without finials and with no chimney (indicating replacement of original roof tiling) and a later carport attached to one side. Windows are not original. Front fence is a low cement-rendered fence. The front gable end has later (circa 1960s) timber cladding,
No. 63 Forsyth Street has rusticated concrete block walls, a terracotta tiled hipped and gabled roof with terracotta finials and chimney, front verandah with timber fretwork frieze and timber posts, and a timber picket front fence with a lytchgate. Front windows are timber-framed casements with small coloured panes This house appears very original.
No. 65 Forsyth Street has rusticated concrete block walls, a concrete tiled hipped and gabled roof without a chimney (i.e. roof tiling replaced, chimney removed) imitation half-timbered gable end facing the street, timber-framed double hung windows, and a front verandah with circa 1950s metal posts. The front fence is a low rendered brick fence, There is a metal awning over the front window below the gable end.
No. 67 Forsyth Street has concrete block walls, terracotta tiled hipped and gabled roof with terracotta finials to the ridge and without a chimney, turned timber posts to the front verandah, and timber-framed casement windows with small coloured panes. The front fence is a metal mesh fence with matching gates. This house shares a driveway with No. 65 and both houses have rear garages.
No. 69 Forsyth Street has concrete block walls, a terracotta tiled hipped and gabled roof with terracotta finials and a chimney, timber valence and posts to front verandah, timber shingled awning on decorative brackets over front window below the front gable end, and a timber picket front fence. This house and No. 71 share a driveway and both houses have rear carports or garages. Windows are timber-framed casements with small coloured panes.
No. 71 Forsyth Street has concrete block walls, a hipped and gabled terracotta tiled roof without finials but having a chimney (indicating replacement of roof tiling). The front verandah has a timber valence and timber posts mounted on short concrete block posts, Windows are timber framed casement with small coloured panes, There is a timber picket front fence. The roof design differs in having a section of terracotta roof forward of the gable end to protect the front window. This design is matched at No. 73 Forsyth Street.
No. 73 Forsyth Street has smooth cement rendered walls, a hipped and gabled terracotta tiled roof with finials and a chimney (indicating replacement of roof tiling). The front verandah has a timber valence and timber posts., Windows appear to have been altered, There is a timber picket front fence. The roof design differs in having a section of terracotta roof forward of the gable end to protect the front window. This design is matched at No. 71 Forsyth Street. The details would indicate this house originally had rusticated concrete block walls but has been altered, There is a skillion-roofed carport to one side of the house.

Nos., 75 and 77 are constructed of face brickwork with contrasting brick banding and No. 77 features roughcast stucco to the upper wall surface of the facade.

Chimneys are brick or rendered. Front verandahs feature simple timber detailing although concrete blockwork is also employed on some of the verandahs. Windows are timber -framed double-hung windows or casements, where original.

No. 75 Forsyth Street has polychrome brick walls, a concrete tiled hipped and gabled roof with one brick chimney (indicating replacement of roof tiles) timber-framed double-hung mutlipaned windows, a front verandah with timber posts and valence, and a brick and timber picket front fence. There is a skillion roofed carport attached to one side of the house. The gable end is roughcast stuccoed.

No. 77 Forsyth Street has brick walls with brick quoining and roughcast stucco to the upper one-third of the wall height. The roof is hipped and gabled without finials or chimney (indicating roof tiling replacement). The front verandah has timber posts and valence. The front fence is a low brick fence. The roof form, extending forward of the front gable end to cover the front window, is similar to the roof form of Nos. 73 and 71 Forsyth Street. Windows are timber-framed with small coloured panes.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:30 Nov 11
Modifications and dates: The group is relatively intact, with several alterations to original fabric such as cement rendering of No. 73, rear addition and concrete tiled roof to No. 77.
Current use: Dwellings
Former use: Dwellings

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The AHO and the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, the recognised custodians for this area, as well as members of the local Aboriginal community generally agree that the term Guringai may not be the original name for the area, tribe or language, however, given the lack of any credible alternative, it is considered to be an appropriate and convenient term to represent the area as distinct from other parts of Sydney. The clan names are in some regards less contentious for some areas. The City of Ryde Council area is commonly accepted to be Wallumedegal country (various spellings).

The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: "the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave." (Information taken from City of Ryde Aboriginal Site Management Report, Aboriginal Heritage Office, 2011)

European settlement of this area began with land being granted to the colonial official William Balmain, a surgeon on the First Fleet, from 1794. He named the property ‘Meadowbank’. This estate was farmed by John and William Bennett throughout most of the nineteenth century, except for 40 acres that were sold to Major Edward Darvall. William Bennett was a sea captain involved in trade, who appreciated the river frontage. The Darvall property stretched from Shaftsbury Road to Ryedale Road and from Rowe Street to Victoria Road, a total of 360 acres (146 hectares). The Darvalls built Ryedale House on the site in the late 1850’s, and the family lived there for the next 70 years. The other largest estate in the area, also covering both Meadowbank and West Ryde, was granted to Lieutenant William Kent between 1796 and 1799. Smaller land grants were made in 1798 to Edward Goodin , Michael Connor, Richard Porter and George Patfield. On the edge of the area was also a small land grant made to the ex-convict Ann Thorn in 1795. She later married James Shepherd who acquired more land in the area, including William Kent’s original land grant. The Shepherd’s became a notable local family. James’ son, Isaac Shepherd, lived in the Meadowbank section of the estate and built himself a two-storey sandstone mansion called Helenie. In the 1860s he was a member of the Legislative Assembly.

Shepherd’s Estate was the first subdivision in the area, and lots were offered for auction in 1841. All 23 lots were sold, although an economic downturn meant that development of the sites did not progress quickly. The Meadowbank Estate was first subdivided in 1883, in anticipation of the railway line. The Strathfield to Hornsby line was opened in 1886, and further Meadowbank Estate subdivisions were offered in 1888. Some lots, around Station Street, were sold to professional gentlemen who commuted to offices in the city. The largest land sale, however, was the Helenie Estate to the Mellor brothers. They established the Meadowbank Manufacturing Company in 1890. The site was well situated for both river and rail transport, and they separated some lots for building housing for Company officials. The Company manufactured agricultural implements, and later railway rolling stock and tramcars.

For most of the 19th century transport to and from the Ryde Council area across the Parramatta River was achieved by road and ferry. However, construction began on the Gladesville Bridge in 1878 and it opened for traffic on 1 February 1881. Nearly two years later, the Iron Cove Bridge opened in November 1882. With these two road bridges completed the entire pattern of Ryde's communication with the city altered.

The original railway bridge across the Parramatta River was the Meadowbank Bridge, a lattice girder bridge designed for John Whitton (Engineer-in-Chief of the NSW Railways between 1856 and 1890) by his Brother-in-law Sir John Fowler. The bridge was competed in August 1886 as part of the original infrastructure for the Main North Line, and the stations along the section of the line from North Strathfield to Hornsby also opened in 1886. The construction of the railway encouraged rapid subdivision and construction in the areas near the railway stations at Meadowbank, West Ryde, Denistone and Eastwood. once land became available for subdivision into suburban blocks.

West Ryde as a suburb did not develop a separate identity to Ryde until the 1920s and 1930s. It was designated as its own postal area in 1926, and the local public school was renamed ‘West Ryde Public School’ in 1930 (originally called Meadowbank). The railway station was not changed to West Ryde until 1945, although the name had been debated for several decades previous to the final change.

ITEM HISTORY
Forsyth Street, West Ryde was named after John Forsyth, Ryde Alderman 1890-1894 and Mayor of Ryde in 1892. He was active in the Methodist Church, School of Arts and the Masonic Lodge.

Forsyth Street is shown with five lots for sale in a subdivision plan for the Helenie Estate in 1897. A subdivision plan from 1905 shows Forsyth Street as an undivided block, close to the Meadowbank Manufacturing Company’s Works. At this stage the street ran only from MacPherson Street to Kissing Point Road (Victoria Road). Three lots on each side of the street were offered for sale in 1907. The west side lots are most likely the current No.’s 67, 69 and 71. All the houses on this side of the street were probably built between 1907 and 1911.

In 1908 a Mr. D.M. Anderson of Ryde, "wrote asking the Council to kerb Forsyth-street with stone in front of three new cottages he had erected, and offered to give the stone for the work free of cost" (Ryde Council column, The Cumberland Argus & Fruitgrowers Advocate, 27 June 1908, page 5). In June 1909 the Meadowbank Ryde Estate was advertised for sale "close to railway", application to Mr., D.M. Anderson, Estate Agent, Ryde. (Houses and land for sale, SMH, 30 June 1909 p. 3). In August 1909 a Mr. A. Anderson advertised for a bricklayer "wanted at once, Forsyth-St, Meadowbank, near church." (SMH, 4 August 1909 page 15).

Listings for the street do not appear in the Sands Directories until 1910. The houses are listed as Nos. 1 to 17, as the street originally ended at Victoria Road. A sewerage map from November 1928 shows that all the lots had cottages by this time. No.’s 1 to 5 are probably a slightly later subdivision, as they are of different size and had no listing prior to 1911 in the Sands Directories. The Council Valuation books from 1939 list all the properties as cottages, on land that was originally part of the Meadowbank Estate (Andersons Sub Lots). They also describe Forsyth Street inconsistently as West Ryde or Meadowbank.

Together this evidence leads to the conclusion that the houses in Forsyth Street were built by Mr. A. Anderson, a builder, from 1908 on land either he or estate agent D.M Anderson (or both) had acquired (ownership indicated by the valuation book description of the land as Meadowbank Estate Andersons Sub Lots),, and marketed by estate agent D.M. Anderson, who may have been related to A. Anderson the builder.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Changing land uses from rural to suburban/ subdivision of large estates-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Suburban Development-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The dwellings at Nos. 61-77 Forsyth Street are of historical significance as part of the early twentieth century subdivision and development pattern of West Ryde. All the houses on the west side of Forsyth Street were built between 1908 and 1911, by builder A. Anderson, adjacent to the Meadowbank Manufacturing Company works, as a speculative development. No direct historical association has been found between the houses and the Meadowbank Manufacturing Company.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The dwellings have aesthetic significance as a fine group of Federation Queen Anne style dwellings with landmark quality as a streescape group. Nos. 61-73 have technical significance in being constructed of rock-faced concrete blocks, an innovative building technology for the time of construction.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
There is no evidence for archeological or research potential.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The group of Federation Queen Anne style dwellings are rare in the West Ryde area as a complete group from the period 1908-1911 and for encompassing a rare group of concrete-block houses at Nos. 61-73 Forsyth Street.
Integrity/Intactness: A relatively intact group of houses.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTIES: (Note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The following advice provides general principles that should be respected by all development.) The effect and intention of the group listing is to identify a group of heritage items, each individual property in the group having been assessed as having local heritage significance, and also having value as part of a group. In assessing the heritage impact of proposals, the impact of the proposed development on each individual heritage item's significance, as well as the heritage significance of the group setting as a whole must be taken into account. Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of each building should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. All significant exterior fabric should be retained and conserved. The setting of the property should be protected from the impacts of development and significant plantings, walls, paths and other landscape elements should be retained in a manner that will not threaten the viability of significant gardens, landscapes or views. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades (generally, but not limited to, those visible from the street or a public place including the water) should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Sandstone and face brickwork should not be painted or coated. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. Attic rooms must be accommodated in the original roof form. Solid fences or high walls on street boundaries and structures - including car parking structures - forward of the front building line are strongly discouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 201051   
Local Environmental PlanRyde Draft LEP 2011I51   
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2014I5102 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP No. 10530517 Jan 03 14348
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study1988305Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Review of 1988 Ryde Heritage Study.2002 Hill Thalis Architecture and Urban Projects.  Yes
Ryde SHI Review Stage 12012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1909Professions, trades advertisements, Sydney Morning Herald, 4 August 1909 page 15
Written 1908Ryde Council column, The Cumberland Argus & Fruitgrowers Advocate, 27 June 1908, page 5
Written  Sand's Directories 1910-1933
WrittenAngela Phippen2008West Ryde suburb history, Dictionary of Sydney online
WrittenDr Sascha Jenkins2012Historical research for Ryde SHI Review Stage 1, Paul Davies Pty Ltd

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340136


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.