Eastwood Park - Pavilion | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Eastwood Park - Pavilion

Item details

Name of item: Eastwood Park - Pavilion
Other name/s: Croquet Pavilion
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Parks, Gardens and Trees
Category: Other - Parks, Gardens & Trees
Primary address: 45 West Parade, Eastwood, NSW 2122
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
45 West ParadeEastwoodRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address
Wingate Avenue,EastwoodRyde  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The Eastwood Park Croquet Pavilion is of heritage significance for historical, historical association, social and aesthetic significance as a highly intact croquet pavilion dating from 1935, still in use for its original purpose associated with the Eastwood Croquet Club.
Date significance updated: 15 Nov 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Established in 1935, the Eastwood Croquet Club utilises the lower eastern corner of Eastwood Park, at the corner of West Parade & Wingate Avenue, Eastwood. located between the level changes of the two fields within the Park. The Croquet Pavilion is closely associated with the adjacent Croquet courts. In front of the Croquet courts and beside the Croquet Pavilion is a large rose garden with other exotic ornamental plantings which form a cottage garden appearance to the croquet area, and complement the pavilion and croquet courts. .

The pavilion is a simple gabled roof pavilion structure overlooking playing fields. The pavilion features multipaned timber windows and glazed doors and is clad in weatherboard.
Current use: Pavilion
Former use: Pavilion

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The AHO and the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, the recognised custodians for this area, as well as members of the local Aboriginal community generally agree that the term Guringai may not be the original name for the area, tribe or language, however, given the lack of any credible alternative, it is considered to be an appropriate and convenient term to represent the area as distinct from other parts of Sydney. The clan names are in some regards less contentious for some areas. The City of Ryde Council area is commonly accepted to be Wallumedegal country (various spellings). The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: "the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave." (Information taken from City of Ryde Aboriginal Site Management Report, Aboriginal Heritage Office, 2011)

The first land grants in Eastwood were given in 1794 to Samuel Wheeler, Rev. James Bain, John Redman, Patrick Campbell, Thomas Bride, Zadoc Petit and William Patullo. Land grants continued in the area until 1801, although this period also saw many original grants sold to local landowners to form larger farms. Captain John Macarthur purchased several land grants in the area between1794 and 1799. He later sold this land to Joseph Holt, who, on behalf of Lt. William Cox, amalgamated 14 farms in the Field of Mars district into one estate. This amalgamation of farms did not last long. William Cox sold some of the estate to D’Arcy Wentworth at the area’s first auction in 1804. In 1807 Gregory Blaxland established Brush Farm Estate from nine farms purchased from D’Arcy Wentworth, thought to be the original land grants of Wheeler, Bain, Redman, Campbell, Bride, Petit and Patullo. Major Edward Darvall, a retired English army officer, leased Denistone Farm from Dr Foster in 1840, and later purchased a 400 acre estate in the Ryde area, covering part of Eastwood and West Ryde. William Rutledge bought land in 1835, including land originally granted to Lt. William Kent and John Love in the 1790s. This formed Eastwood Estate (the site of Eastwood House) that was purchased by Edward Terry in 1865. Terry developed the property and was an influential figure in Ryde’s history, most notably as Ryde Council’s first mayor.

Edward Terry encouraged the development of the Eastwood area, including influencing the government to run the new Strathfield to Hornsby rail line through his property in the 1880s. The main camp for the railway workers was set up in the area, leading to the establishment of a local school, Post Office and hotel in Eastwood. Brush Farm was subdivided from 1881, and Darvall Estate from 1902. When Terry’s Estate subdivisions were offered for sale from 1905, businesses began to move into Rowe Street. By the 1920s Rowe Street was established as Eastwood’s commercial centre.
The first Anglican Church in Eastwood was built in 1884 as the Main Camp Church for the railway workers, but numbers dwindled after the completion of the railway line in 1886 and the building was taken down. In 1906 Rev. J.H. Mullens, the rector of St Anne’s Ryde, decided to support the establishment of a church at Eastwood. Mrs Darvall gave two blocks of land on the corner of Rutledge Street and Shaftesbury Road for a site for the new church and Mr E. Terry made a gift of 100 pounds towards building costs (Northern District Times 9/5/2007, p32).

ITEM HISTORY
"The Eastwood Progress Association campaigned for a park in the Eastwood end of the Ryde municipality from 1904. It took the Government fifteen years of consideration until it decided to grant
eight (8) acres of Eastwood Park. Seven (7) acres of the Park were resumed from the Terry Estate or the Eastwood Property. The land was previously used as a common and agistment for cattle grazing" (p. 27, Eastwood Park Plan of Management).

Eastwood Park was dedicated as a public reserve owned by the Crown on the 8th October, 1920. Ryde Municipal Council was appointed as trustees. In 1945 Eastwood Park was extended (SMH, 22 March 1945, p.4). The park was eventually vested in city of Ryde.in 1978.

In 1932 the new Stevens coalition State government received federal money to institute an emergency relief scheme for necessary public works. The scheme aimed to give the unemployed limited work at a basic wage scale, with local councils handling supervision and the supply of equipment and materials. In May 1933 the wage scale was reduced and this relief programme became a "work-for-the-dole" scheme. Ryde Council got heavily involved in the scheme, and by May 1933 there were 450 unemployed men on the books. By September 1933 this number had risen to around 650, working from seven to 44 hours per week. They constructed and reconstructed roads, built kerbing and guttering, stormwater drains and retaining walls, wharves, bridges, bowling greens, and cricket pitches. In June 1932 it was reported that relief work had begun at Eastwood Park. Ryde Council's share of the Federal government relief work grant was 12,769 pounds, of which 7,160 pounds "will be expended in improving Eastwood Park, and 150 men will be employed for eight weeks." (SMH 2 June 1932, p. 10). In July 1932 it was reported that approximately 70 men were engaged in relief work in Eastwood Park (SMH 6 July 1932 p. 14). The unemployed relief work at Eastwood Park included filling in a lake and constructing a stormwater drain.

The Eastwood Croquet Club was established in 1935 with two croquet greens and the pavilion.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Developing Community-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Eastwood Park Croquet Pavilion, dating from 1935, is of historical,significance as a highly intact croquet pavilion still in use for its original purpose
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The Eastwood Park Croquet Pavilion has historical association with the Eastwood Croquet Club formed in 1935, retaining its original use.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Eastwood Park Croquet Pavilion is o
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION AND CONSERVATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. The overall form of the monument should be retained and conserved and remain in its existing location. A specific Plan of Management should be prepared by Council for Eastwood Park, and should include a conservation schedule and ongoing maintenance schedule for the heritage-listed elements of the Park. The overall form of the building should be retained and conserved and preferably continue in use as part of the Croquet Club. All remaining intact and significant exterior and interior fabric and the garden setting should be retained. A Heritage Assessment is required prior to any substantial work. Any future development should preserve the existing form and external surfaces and materials of the significant facades. The exterior should be painted in appropriate colours.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2010162   
Local Environmental PlanDraft Ryde LEP 2011I162   
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2014I16202 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP No. 105 17 Jan 03 14 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study1988170Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Ryde SHI Review Stage 12012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 2011History page, Eastwood Croquet Club website
WrittenBeverley McClymont2010Eastwood suburb history, Dictionary of Sydney online
WrittenCity of Ryde2008Eastwood Park Master Plan and Plan of Management

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340137


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.