Federation style dwelling | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Federation style dwelling

Item details

Name of item: Federation style dwelling
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Cottage
Primary address: 9 Orange Street, Eastwood, NSW 2122
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
9 Orange StreetEastwoodRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The property is of historical significance as the original farm house on land which was part of an area of land purchased by Davis Pelmothe in 1894. It is likely that Pelmothe built the subject building, around 1902. The property is also of historical significance as part of the land subdivided and sold under the name "Orange Grove Estate", in 1910. The house has historical association with the late 19th century agricultural industry in Eastwood. The house is of aesthetic significance as a good representative example of a circa 1902 weatherboard farmhouse..
Date significance updated: 26 Feb 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1900-1902
Physical description: A simple single storey weatherboard cottage of the Federation period, set on a large allotment which has been recently subdivided, and adjoins a road reserve. The site has a side driveway and is not fenced. The house is surrounded by lawn with mixed plantings close to the house. The house has a simple rectangular form and is substantially intact. New single storey residential development has occurred to the side and rear of the cottage. The roof is corrugated steel, continuous over the verandah, but with a slightly lower pitch. The gutters are galvanised steel. There are two corbelled face brick chimneys. The eastern chimney has a single terracotta pot, the western chimney has two. The verandah is continuous around all four sides of the building, except at the centre of the south facade, where the living room wall extends to the roof eaves. The verandah roof is supported on square timber posts. There is a balustrade with timber top and bottom rails and balusters, and five cement infill panels. Part of the verandah to the west facade has been enclosed in fibre cement. The posts to the street (east) facade are decorated with fretwork brackets. The verandah soffit is unlined. The external walls of the building are clad in lapped timber weatherboard. The boards to the street facade are grooved, and there are a number of metal vents. The main entry door is in the centre of the east facade. It has three glazed lights to the top half of the leaf, and three recessed panels with bolection moulds to the lower half of the leaf. In the centre there is a moulded shelf. The door has a toplight as well. The building has three other external doors. The rear door to the half is panelled and has a toplight. The door to the storeroom, also on the west facade, is panelled. The door to the living room is half-glazed, with a flush panel and a toplight. It probably dates from the early Post-War period. All of the windows are original, except for the casement living room windows which are part of the post-World War I alterations. The windows are generally double-hung, with curved horns. There are four windows to the street facade, two on either side of the central entry door. They have single-pane upper sashes and four-pane lower sashes. The row of three square panes at the bottom of the lower sash are coloured and patterned. The remaining windows in the building have single-pane sashes. The sill of the window to the store room as been raised. All the external openings have moulded architraves. The timber verandah floor is above ground level, except at the north-east corner. The floor bearers are supported by commons brick piers. There are rendered brick entry steps to the verandah in the centre of the street facade and at the northern end of the west facade.
Date condition updated:17 Jul 07
Current use: Residence
Former use: Farm house

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The AHO and the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, the recognised custodians for this area, as well as members of the local Aboriginal community generally agree that the term Guringai may not be the original name for the area, tribe or language, however, given the lack of any credible alternative, it is considered to be an appropriate and convenient term to represent the area as distinct from other parts of Sydney. The clan names are in some regards less contentious for some areas. The City of Ryde Council area is commonly accepted to be Wallumedegal country (various spellings). The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: "the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave."

The first land grants in Eastwood were given in 1794 to Samuel Wheeler, Rev. James Bain, John Redman, Patrick Campbell, Thomas Bride, Zadoc Petit and William Patullo. Land grants continued in the area until 1801, although this period also saw many original grants sold to local landowners to form larger farms. Captain John Macarthur purchased several land grants in the area between1794 and 1799. He later sold this land to Joseph Holt, who, on behalf of Lt. William Cox, amalgamated 14 farms in the Field of Mars district into one estate. This amalgamation of farms did not last long. William Cox sold some of the estate to D’Arcy Wentworth at the area’s first auction in 1804. In 1807 Gregory Blaxland established Brush Farm Estate from nine farms purchased from D’Arcy Wentworth, thought to be the original land grants of Wheeler, Bain, Redman, Campbell, Bride, Petit and Patullo. Major Edward Darvall, a retired English army officer, leased Denistone Farm from Dr Foster in 1840, and later purchased a 400 acre estate in the Ryde area, covering part of Eastwood and West Ryde. William Rutledge bought land in 1835, including land originally granted to Lt. William Kent and John Love in the 1790s. This formed Eastwood Estate (the site of Eastwood House) that was purchased by Edward Terry in 1865. Terry developed the property and was an influential figure in Ryde’s history, most notably as Ryde Council’s first mayor.

Edward Terry encouraged the development of the Eastwood area, including influencing the government to run the new Strathfield to Hornsby rail line through his property in the 1880s. The main camp for the railway workers was set up in the area, leading to the establishment of a local school, Post Office and hotel in Eastwood. Brush Farm was subdivided from 1881, and Darvall Estate from 1902. When Terry’s Estate subdivisions were offered for sale from 1905, businesses began to move into Rowe Street. By the 1920s Rowe Street was established as Eastwood’s commercial centre.
The first Anglican Church in Eastwood was built in 1884 as the Main Camp Church for the railway workers, but numbers dwindled after the completion of the railway line in 1886 and the building was taken down. In 1906 Rev. J.H. Mullens, the rector of St Anne’s Ryde, decided to support the establishment of a church at Eastwood. Mrs. Darvall gave two blocks of land on the corner of Rutledge Street and Shaftesbury Road for a site for the new church and Mr. E. Terry made a gift of 100 pounds towards building costs (Northern District Times 9/5/2007, p32).

ITEM HISTORY
The Orange Grove Estate, comprising 34 acres, was subdivided into residential sites and orchard blocks in 1910 creating Orange and Grove Streets. The house at No. 9 is presumed to be the original farm house for the estate, predating the subdivision, although no existing buildings are shown on the subdivision map. Following the subdivision this house formed part of lot 39, comprising 1a 0r 6_p. The 34 acres had originally been part of a much larger farm belonging to Thomas Small, a member of one of Ryde's First Fleet families. Thomas Small was born at Kissing Point (Ryde) in 1799 and owned land in the Murrumbidgee and Clarence River district as well as at Ryde. He had a farm near the Parramatta River which was Called Orange Grove. His Eastwood farm was a consolidation of 3 grants: one of 148 acres known as Moore's folly, one of 60 acres known as Moores Farm and one of 200 acres granted to John Brabyn. He subdivided some of this land and bequeathed the unsold portion to his son Timothy Small, to be divided equally between Timothy and his children.

Thomas Small died in 1863. In 1894 the farm was formally divided between various members of the Small family, Timothy Small acquiring the 34 acres which later became known as the Orange Grove Estate. He did not live on the farm and in 1894 transferred the land to Davis Pelmothe a Dulwich Hill grocer for ú600. Pelmothe became an orchardist. It was probably he who built the house at No. 9 since he is listed in Sand's Sydney Directories from 1903 as resident in Lovell Road. His is the only household listed in Lovell Road between 1901 and 1907 when he sold the property to Harriet Eastcott Cloudy, a widow from Paddington, for ú1226/5/9.

In 1902 Epping nurserymen F Vollmer & Charles Vessey had bought a 16-acre block to the east of Pelmothe's orchard. In December of that year the Cumberland Argus & Fruitgrowers Advocate carried a story about Vollmer & Vessey's nursery, called Mt Tomah. Their main premises comprised 12 acres near the Epping railway station and this was completely covered with nursery stock. They had bought bush land in Marsfield to plant out as an orchard and by December 1902 they had 2 acres planted with lemon, orange and peach stocks. A photograph of the nursery which was published in the Argus at this time may be of this Marsfield part of Mt Tomah. Harriet Cloudy's mortgagors sold the land to the NSW Realty Co Ltd and this company carried out the subdivision of the farm in 1910. Lot 39 was bought by Stephen Kissell.

The subject property is part of an area of land purchased by Davis Pelmothe in 1894. It is likely that Pelmothe built the subject building, around 1902. He sold the land to Harriet Cloudy in 1907, and it was subdivided and sold under the name "Orange Grove Estate", in 1910. The subject building, on Lot 39, was bought by Stephen Kissell.

In 1919 the property was acquired by the Muddle family. The Muddle's enclosed part of the verandah to accommodate an extension to the living room, and a new pantry. The fin wall and fibre cement verandah enclosure on the west side of the building were added after the Muddle's sold the building. A photograph of the street facade of the building during its occupation by the Muddle's shows a front fence, but few other difference from the existing building. It is likely that Andy Ogg bought the property from the Muddle's, around 1940. In 1955 John Manenti's father, Battista Giovanni Manenti bought the property from Andy Ogg. Battista and his wife, Maria, owned the property as joint tenant. Around 1963 the Manenti's sold Lot 1 to the Department of Main Roads, as a County Road reservation. They have had a lease agreement since then to occupy and maintain the land. Around 1980 the roof sheeting was blown off in a storm, and replaced.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Orcharding-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The property is of historical significance as the original farm house on land which was part of an area of land purchased by Davis Pelmothe in 1894. It is likely that Pelmothe built the subject building, around 1902. The property is also of historical significance as part of the land subdivided and sold under the name "Orange Grove Estate", in 1910.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The house has historical association with the late 19th century agricultural industry in Eastwood.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The house is of aesthetic significance as a good example of a c. 1902 weatherboard farmhouse. The major external architectural features are the pyramidal roof with brick chimneys, the verandah posts with decorative brackets, the verandah balustrades, the weatherboard walls, panelled doors, and double-hung windows.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The dwelling is considered to have little archeological or research potential.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The dwelling is a fine representative example of a weatheboard c. 1902 farm house.
Integrity/Intactness: The dwelling is reasonably intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTY: (Note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The following advice provides general principles that should be respected by all development.) Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of the building should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. All significant exterior fabric should be retained and conserved. The setting of the property should be protected from the impacts of development and significant plantings, walls, paths and other landscape elements should be retained in a manner that will not threaten the viability of significant gardens, landscapes or views. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades (generally, but not limited to, those visible from the street or a public place including the water) should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Sandstone and face brickwork should not be painted or coated. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: All development should respect the principle of ‘do as much as necessary but as little as possible’. In most instances, new work should not attempt to replicate historic forms. A ‘contemporary neutral’ design that sits quietly on the site, and enhances the quality of the item, will be a more sympathetic outcome than a ‘fake’ historic building. Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. Attic rooms must be accommodated in the original roof form. Solid fences or high walls on street boundaries and structures - including car parking structures - forward of the front building line are strongly discouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde Local Environmental Plan 2010    
Local Environmental PlanDraft Ryde Local Environmental Plan 2011I83   
Local Environmental PlanRyde Local Environmental Plan 2014I8302 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLocal Environmental Plan No. 10510317 Jan 03 14351
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study1988103Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Review of 1988 Ryde Heritage Study.2002 Hill Thalis Architecture and Urban Projects.  Yes
Ryde SHI Review Stage 22012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340148


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.