Woolbrook - Federation Queen Anne style dwelling | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Woolbrook - Federation Queen Anne style dwelling

Item details

Name of item: Woolbrook - Federation Queen Anne style dwelling
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 7 Regent Street, Putney, NSW 2112
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
7 Regent StreetPutneyRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The 1909-1910 dwelling Woolbrook and its site are significant as one of the first developed sites of the 1882 Beaconsfield Estate, the house being built for retired grazier John Blackman. The house is of aesthetic significance as an intact Federation Queen Anne style house, representative of the style.
Date significance updated: 27 Sep 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1909-1910
Physical description: The site is located on the south-west corner of the intersection of Regent Street and Small Street, with frontages to both streets. .

The contains a large single storey Federation Queen Anne style house constructed on the corner allotment in an appropriate garden setting. The house has a picturesque asymmetrical composition, dominated by the hipped roof with offset gable and verandah. The slate roof features a pattern of shaped slates, terracotta ridge capping and tall rendered chimneys. The house is constructed of face brickwork tuck pointed to the front facade. The gable end is finished in render with a radial motif. The verandah features turned timber posts and valances, and decorative timber brackets. Fenestration comprises timber casement windows protected by an awning at the front facade. There is a single storey parapeted addition and verandah to the rear.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:07 May 12
Modifications and dates: Rear additions
Current use: Dwelling
Former use: Dwelling

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The AHO and the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, the recognised custodians for this area, as well as members of the local Aboriginal community generally agree that the term Guringai may not be the original name for the area, tribe or language, however, given the lack of any credible alternative, it is considered to be an appropriate and convenient term to represent the area as distinct from other parts of Sydney. The clan names are in some regards less contentious for some areas. The City of Ryde Council area is commonly accepted to be Wallumedegal country (various spellings). The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: 'the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave.’ (Information taken from City of Ryde Aboriginal Site Management Report, Aboriginal Heritage Office, 2011).

Putney shares its early history with Ryde, as part of the Eastern Farms (located east of Parramatta), which were granted to emancipists and others in the first decade of settlement. It was of one the first areas of British settlement in the colony. The peninsula on the western side of Morrisons Bay is the heart of Putney today, and was originally part of the land granted to Nicholas Bayley in 1799. Putney’s western boundary is Church Street from the Parramatta River to Morrison Road. Morrison Road generally forms the northern boundary and borders the land grants made to ex-convicts William Careless, John Jones, John Morris, Richard Cheers and James Weavers on 3 January 1792. These were referred to as the Eastern Farms, later known as Kissing Point, a name believed to have originated from the way in which heavily laden boats passing up the Parramatta River bumped or 'kissed' the rocky outcrop which extends into the river at today's Kissing Point. By October these settlers had cleared their land and planted crops of maize.

From around 1805 to the 1840s, the farm boundaries began to change as many landholders' efforts were unsuccessful and their land was bought up by more successful farmers and wealthier settlers. In that time, the farming practices changed from the growing of cereal crops to the production of fruit, especially citrus, peaches, apricots and grapes. James Squire was originally granted land in the Eastern Farms in 1795. He arrived in the First Fleet on board "Charlotte". At the 1802 Muster, James Squire owned 118 hectares of land of which nearly 50 hectares were cleared and 11 planted with wheat and corn. By 1806, his land holding included the farms of 13 early grantees. In 1822, shortly before his death, he purchased Bayley's original grant of 47 hectares. It is on this grant that the original Putney was built.

The land was later sold to Eugene Delange who subdivided the land calling it the Village of Eugenie.
In 1856, Eugène Delange bought what had been the Bayley grant for subdivision. Delange called the subdivision the Village of Eugénie and named many of the roads after generals in Louis Napoleon III's army that won the day at Sebastopol (at least in the Francophile view of the resolution) in the Crimean War. Eugénie was the name of the wife of Napoleon III and was also reminiscent of his own given name, Eugène.

The main street was originally called Napoleon Street but this has changed to Delange Road. Others named after French marshals were Bosquet Street, changed to Phillip Street, and Canrobert Street, now Morrison Road. Only Pellisier Street remains, although that is misspelt from the original spelling of Marshal Pélissier's name. ( Alex McAndrew, Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise, the author, Epping NSW, 2003, pp 3, 4, 13-32; Gregory Blaxell, 'The generals of Putney', Northern District Times, 2 April 2008, p 21).

The estate did not sell except for a few blocks suitable as small farms. In 1878, Delange's son sold 49 hectares to Phillip Walker. Walker changed the street names from French to a more English orientation. The estate was advertised in December 1878 and finally went on sale in February 1879. (Alex McAndrew, Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise, the author, Epping NSW, 2003, p 29-32). Walker also bought some of the original Callaghan grant to enlarge the subdivision. It was probably Phillip Walker who first conjured up the name Putney for his subdivision of 1879, after a London suburb on the River Thames, site of the famous Oxford/Cambridge boat race.
(Alex McAndrew, Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise, the author, Epping NSW, 2003, Putney subdivision map, p 30).

ITEM HISTORY
Regent Street was created with the subdivision of the Beaconsfield Estate in 1882. Woolbrook is built on the original lots 1 and 2 of section 4 of this subdivision. These lots remained unsold until 1909 when they were purchased by John Blackman of Leichhardt, Esquire. John Blackman of Leichhardt purchased lots 1-7 sec 4 DP 1009 (1 acre 2 roods 27 perches) from Percy Vernon McCulloch and Reginald Kerr Manning (mortgagees exercising power of sale) on 17 June, 1909 [vol 1172 fol 212]. A new certificate of title was issued on 7 August, 1909 [vol 1990 fol 246].

John Blackman's first appearance in Sands' Sydney Directories in Regent Street is in 1911. In the 1913 electoral rolls he is listed as a grazier.

John died on 3 May, 1940 aged 96 years. The property was then transferred (application by transmission) to Frederick John Blackman of Manly, Departmental Manager, Oct/Nov 1940 [ LTO vol 1990 fol 246]

What had been lots 1-7, sec 4 DP 1009 became lots 1-8 in DP 20172 with individual lots being sold during 1946 [vol 1990 fol 246]. Lot 1 DP 20172, (the lot that included the house ‘Woolbrook’) was transferred on 31 May 1960 to Alexander Klujin and Vasiel Klujin [new CT vol 7941 fol 170].

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Suburban Development-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The 1909-1910 dwelling is significant as one of the first developed sites of the 1882 Beaconsfield Estate, built for retired grazier John Blackman. The property remained in the ownership of the Blackman family from 1909 till 1960.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The dwelling is of aesthetic significance as an intact Federation Queen Anne style house.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
No social significance has been identified
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The dwelling is considered to have little archeological or research potential.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Not rare
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The dwelling is a fine representative example of a Federation Queen Anne style house.
Integrity/Intactness: The dwelling is reasonably intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTY: (Note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The following advice provides general principles that should be respected by all development.) Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of the building should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. All significant exterior fabric should be retained and conserved. The setting of the property should be protected from the impacts of development and significant plantings, walls, paths and other landscape elements should be retained in a manner that will not threaten the viability of significant gardens, landscapes or views. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades (generally, but not limited to, those visible from the street or a public place including the water) should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Sandstone and face brickwork should not be painted or coated. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: All development should respect the principle of ‘do as much as necessary but as little as possible’. In most instances, new work should not attempt to replicate historic forms. A ‘contemporary neutral’ design that sits quietly on the site, and enhances the quality of the item, will be a more sympathetic outcome than a ‘fake’ historic building. Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. Attic rooms must be accommodated in the original roof form. Solid fences or high walls on street boundaries and structures - including car parking structures - forward of the front building line are strongly discouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2010    
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP No. 1055517 Jan 03 14353
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study198855Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Review of 1988 Ryde Heritage Study.2002 Hill Thalis Architecture and Urban Projects.  Yes
Ryde SHI Review Stage 22012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 2012Research by Angela Phippen, Ryde Library Local Studies Librarian

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340153


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.