Federation Queen Anne style timber dwelling | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Federation Queen Anne style timber dwelling

Item details

Name of item: Federation Queen Anne style timber dwelling
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 5 Storey Street, Putney, NSW 2112
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
5 Storey StreetPutneyRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The dwelling and site are historically significant as one of the first developed on the 1882 Beaconsfield Estate at the beginning of the twentieth century. The dwelling has historical association with the Maitland family who built the house circa 1897. The dwelling is aesthetically significant as an intact example of a timber Federation Queen Anne style house with views to the river and landmark qualities in the local area. The house is a fine representative example of a timber Federation Queen Anne style dwelling.
Date significance updated: 09 Oct 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1897-
Physical description: A single storey weatherboard cottage set on a large allotment which has been subdivided. The grounds are landscaped with a side driveway. The house is one of a number of related properties in the area built around 1880-1910 with views to the river. Several mature palms provide an appropriate backdrop. The cottage is symmetrical in form with a hipped broken-back roof and wrap around verandah. The roof is clad in corrugated metal sheet and features a gablet over the entry with decorative timber gable and detail, and a rendered chimney. The verandah construction comprises simple square timber posts and beams which have been embellished with timber brackets, capitals and a balustrade. The verandah subfloor has been infilled with face brickwork. Stone steps lead to the central glazed and panelled entry door which has side and fan lights, and is flanked by a pair of timber sash windows.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:10 Jul 12
Modifications and dates: A carport and fence is attached to the side of the house and a contemporary house has been constructed to the rear lot.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The AHO and the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, the recognised custodians for this area, as well as members of the local Aboriginal community generally agree that the term Guringai may not be the original name for the area, tribe or language, however, given the lack of any credible alternative, it is considered to be an appropriate and convenient term to represent the area as distinct from other parts of Sydney. The clan names are in some regards less contentious for some areas. The City of Ryde Council area is commonly accepted to be Wallumedegal country (various spellings). The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: 'the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave.’ (Information taken from City of Ryde Aboriginal Site Management Report, Aboriginal Heritage Office, 2011).

Putney shares its early history with Ryde, as part of the Eastern Farms (located east of Parramatta), which were granted to emancipists and others in the first decade of settlement. It was of one the first areas of British settlement in the colony. The peninsula on the western side of Morrisons Bay is the heart of Putney today, and was originally part of the land granted to Nicholas Bayley in 1799. Putney’s western boundary is Church Street from the Parramatta River to Morrison Road. Morrison Road generally forms the northern boundary and borders the land grants made to ex-convicts William Careless, John Jones, John Morris, Richard Cheers and James Weavers on 3 January 1792. These were referred to as the Eastern Farms, later known as Kissing Point, a name believed to have originated from the way in which heavily laden boats passing up the Parramatta River bumped or 'kissed' the rocky outcrop which extends into the river at today's Kissing Point. By October these settlers had cleared their land and planted crops of maize.

From around 1805 to the 1840s, the farm boundaries began to change as many landholders' efforts were unsuccessful and their land was bought up by more successful farmers and wealthier settlers. In that time, the farming practices changed from the growing of cereal crops to the production of fruit, especially citrus, peaches, apricots and grapes. James Squire was originally granted land in the Eastern Farms in 1795. He arrived in the First Fleet on board "Charlotte". At the 1802 Muster, James Squire owned 118 hectares of land of which nearly 50 hectares were cleared and 11 planted with wheat and corn. By 1806, his land holding included the farms of 13 early grantees. In 1822, shortly before his death, he purchased Bayley's original grant of 47 hectares. It is on this grant that the original Putney was built.

The land was later sold to Eugene Delange who subdivided the land calling it the Village of Eugenie.
In 1856, Eugène Delange bought what had been the Bayley grant for subdivision. Delange called the subdivision the Village of Eugénie and named many of the roads after generals in Louis Napoleon III's army that won the day at Sebastopol (at least in the Francophile view of the resolution) in the Crimean War. Eugénie was the name of the wife of Napoleon III and was also reminiscent of his own given name, Eugène.

The main street was originally called Napoleon Street but this has changed to Delange Road. Others named after French marshals were Bosquet Street, changed to Phillip Street, and Canrobert Street, now Morrison Road. Only Pellisier Road remains, although that is misspelt from the original spelling of Marshal Pélissier's name. ( Alex McAndrew, Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise, the author, Epping NSW, 2003, pp 3, 4, 13-32; Gregory Blaxell, 'The generals of Putney', Northern District Times, 2 April 2008, p 21)

The estate did not sell except for a few blocks suitable as small farms. In 1878, Delange's son sold 49 hectares to Phillip Walker. Walker changed the street names from French to a more English orientation. The estate was advertised in December 1878 and finally went on sale in February 1879. (Alex McAndrew, Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise, the author, Epping NSW, 2003, p 29-32). Walker also bought some of the original Callaghan grant to enlarge the subdivision. It was probably Phillip Walker who first conjured up the name Putney for his subdivision of 1879, after a London suburb on the River Thames, site of the famous Oxford/Cambridge boat race.
(Alex McAndrew, Putney on Parramatta: From Struggle Town to Peninsula Paradise, the author, Epping NSW, 2003, Putney subdivision map, p 30).

ITEM HISTORY
Storey Street, originally called Victoria Street, was created with the subdivision of the Beaconsfield Estate in 1882. It was renamed Storey Street in the 1920s, possibly for Mr. John Storey (1869-1921) Premier of NSW in the early 1920s.

No. 5 Storey Street is built on lot 10 of section 4 of this subdivision. This lot and adjoining lots 9 and 11 were conveyed to William Harmer Miles Maitland in June 1897. William Harmar Miles Maitland of Ryde, civil servant purchased lots 8-11 of sec 4 of DP 1009 on 8 June, 1897 from Claude Manning of the City of Sydney, solicitor. (with consent of the mortgagees: Percy Vernon McCulloch and Reginald Kerr Manning) [vol 1172 fol 212]. A new certificate of title was issued: vol 1224 fol 108, dated 14 July, 1897.

Maitland was a civil servant, born in Maitland NSW in 1859 and son of Duncan Mearns Maitland, a London-born civil engineer. His younger brother was Sir Herbert Lethington Maitland, a prominent surgeon and sportsman. William Maitland appears in Sands' directories as early as 1896. His street address is at first Church Street, Ryde. Victoria Street does not appear in Sands' until 1903 and at that time Maitland and A.H. Drury are its only residents. The house is shown on the 1910 subdivision map of the Riverside Estate.

William died on 23 July, 1933 (SMH 24 July, 1933) aged 74 years ‘at his residence 5 Victoria Street, Ryde’. The death notice indicates his wife Margaret had pre-deceased him but he was survived by his children: Gertrude, Madge, George, Edith and Frank.

As a result of his death the property was transferred in November, 1934 (application by transmission) to George Duncan Maitland, clerk of Lindfield. [LTO vol 1224 fol 108].

In 1939 an application under Section 12 of the Trustees Act, 1925 transferred the property to Gertrude Millicent Maitland of Ryde, a spinster. [LTO vol 1224 fol 108]. From 1945 individual lots which were part of the land owned by Mrs. Maitland were sold off: The residue, i.e. lot 10 and part of Lot 11 which contained the house, was transferred to Gertrude Millicent Maitland and Edith Florence Maitland as tenants in common on 15 July, 1948. A new CT was issued: vol 5956 fol 10 and 11.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Suburban Development-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The dwelling and site are historically significant as one of the first developed on the 1882 Beaconsfield Estate at the beginning of the twentieth century.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The dwelling has historical association with the local Maitland family who built the house circa 1897.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The dwelling is aesthetically significant as an intact example of a timber Federation Queen Anne style house with with views to the river and landmark qualities in the local area.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The dwelling is considered to have little archeological or reaearch potential.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The house is a fine representative example of a timber Federation Queen Anne style dwelling.
Integrity/Intactness: Dwelling is reasonably intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTY: (note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The following advice provides general principles that should be respected by all development.) Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of the building should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. All significant exterior fabric should be retained and conserved. The setting of the property should be protected from the impacts of development and significant plantings, walls, paths and other landscape elements should be retained in a manner that will not threaten the viability of significant gardens, landscapes or views. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades (generally, but not limited to, those visible from the street or a public place including the water) should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: All development should respect the principle of ‘do as much as necessary but as little as possible’. In most instances, new work should not attempt to replicate historic forms. A ‘contemporary neutral’ design that sits quietly on the site, and enhances the quality of the item, will be a more sympathetic outcome than a ‘fake’ historic building. Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. Attic rooms must be accommodated in the original roof form. Solid fences or high walls on street boundaries and structures - including car parking structures - forward of the front building line are strongly discouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde Local Environmental Plan 2010    
Local Environmental PlanRyde Draft Local Environmental Plan 2011I119   
Local Environmental PlanRyde Local Environmental Plan 2014I11902 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLocal Environmental Plan No. 1055617 Jan 03 14355
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study198856Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Ryde SHI Review Stage 22012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 2012Historical research by Angela Phippen, Ryde Library Local Studies
Written  Historical research by Megan Martin, Ryde Library Local Studies

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340158


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.