Summerhayes Shops Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Summerhayes Shops Group

Item details

Name of item: Summerhayes Shops Group
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Retail and Wholesale
Category: Shop
Primary address: 119-121, 123 and 136 Rowe Street, Eastwood, NSW 2122
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
119-121, 123 and 136 Rowe StreetEastwoodRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address
119-121 Rowe StreetEastwoodRyde  Alternate Address
123 Rowe StreetEastwoodRyde  Alternate Address
136 Rowe StreetEastwoodRyde  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The shops, built circa 1920, have historical significance as part of the initial development of the Eastwood shopping centre, and as shops which illustrate the history of local retailing since 1920. The shops have historical association with their architect / developer Charles Robert Summerhayes, alderman and Mayor of Ryde 1911-1912 and again in 1922. The shops have aesthetic significance as a group of distinctive Inter-war Art Deco style shops, representative of the style and rare in the Ryde area, which form a visual gateway to the Eastwood shopping area on either side of Rowe Street opposite the railway.
Date significance updated: 08 Aug 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Architect Charles Robert Summerhayes
Construction years: 1920-1920
Physical description: Prominently located at the entrance to the Rowe Street pedestrianised shopping precinct, on the western side of the railway line, the shop buildings at 119-121 and 123 Rowe Street and 136 Rowe Street form a gateway to the mall, and set the scale and style of the strip. Both shops are two storey parapeted structures in rendered masonry with suspended awnings. The parapets step up at splayed corners which address the intersection. The parapets display bands of art deco inspired stylised geometric motifs, modulated by a series of vertical fins. Original fenestration has survived at No 119-121 at the upper level, and comprises groups of multipane timber sash windows. Both buildings have extensively altered ground level shopfronts.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:08 Aug 12
Modifications and dates: The shops have extensively altered ground level shopfronts.
Current use: Shop/offices
Former use: Shop/residence

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The AHO and the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, the recognised custodians for this area, as well as members of the local Aboriginal community generally agree that the term Guringai may not be the original name for the area, tribe or language, however, given the lack of any credible alternative, it is considered to be an appropriate and convenient term to represent the area as distinct from other parts of Sydney. The clan names are in some regards less contentious for some areas. The City of Ryde Council area is commonly accepted to be Wallumedegal country (various spellings). The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: "the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave."

The first land grants in Eastwood were given in 1794 to Samuel Wheeler, Rev. James Bain, John Redman, Patrick Campbell, Thomas Bride, Zadoc Petit and William Patullo. Land grants continued in the area until 1801, although this period also saw many original grants sold to local landowners to form larger farms. Captain John Macarthur purchased several land grants in the area between1794 and 1799. He later sold this land to Joseph Holt, who, on behalf of Lt. William Cox, amalgamated 14 farms in the Field of Mars district into one estate. This amalgamation of farms did not last long. William Cox sold some of the estate to D’Arcy Wentworth at the area’s first auction in 1804. In 1807 Gregory Blaxland established Brush Farm Estate from nine farms purchased from D’Arcy Wentworth, thought to be the original land grants of Wheeler, Bain, Redman, Campbell, Bride, Petit and Patullo. Major Edward Darvall, a retired English army officer, leased Denistone Farm from Dr Foster in 1840, and later purchased a 400 acre estate in the Ryde area, covering part of Eastwood and West Ryde. William Rutledge bought land in 1835, including land originally granted to Lt. William Kent and John Love in the 1790s. This formed Eastwood Estate (the site of Eastwood House) that was purchased by Edward Terry in 1865. Terry developed the property and was an influential figure in Ryde’s history, most notably as Ryde Council’s first mayor.

Edward Terry encouraged the development of the Eastwood area, including influencing the government to run the new Strathfield to Hornsby rail line through his property in the 1880s. The main camp for the railway workers was set up in the area, leading to the establishment of a local school, Post Office and hotel in Eastwood. Brush Farm was subdivided from 1881, and Darvall Estate from 1902. When Terry’s Estate subdivisions were offered for sale from 1905, businesses began to move into Rowe Street. By the 1920s Rowe Street was established as Eastwood’s commercial centre.
The first Anglican Church in Eastwood was built in 1884 as the Main Camp Church for the railway workers, but numbers dwindled after the completion of the railway line in 1886 and the building was taken down. In 1906 Rev. J.H. Mullens, the rector of St Anne’s Ryde, decided to support the establishment of a church at Eastwood. Mrs. Darvall gave two blocks of land on the corner of Rutledge Street and Shaftesbury Road for a site for the new church and Mr. E. Terry made a gift of 100 pounds towards building costs (Northern District Times 9/5/2007, p32).

ITEM HISTORY
The shops were designed and erected by architect Charles Robert Summerhayes (1860-1948). Summerhayes was an alderman on Ryde Council in the early 20th century and Mayor of Ryde in 1911-1912 and again in 1922. He led the subdivision of Eastwood, east of the railway in 1903 and sponsored development of the west Rowe Street shopping area, building the School of Arts there in 1906-7 (now demolished). The West Parade-Rowe Street shops were built following the Eastwood House Estate Business allotments sale in the early 1920s.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Suburban Development-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The shops, built circa 1920, have historical significance as part of the initial development of the Eastwood shopping centre, and as shops which illustrate the history of local retailing since 1920.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The shops have historical association with their architect / developer Charles Robert Summerhayes, alderman and Mayor of Ryde 1911-1912 and again in 1922.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The shops have aesthetic significance as a group of distinctive Inter-war Art Deco style shops, forming a visual gateway to the Eastwood shopping area on either side of Rowe Street opposite the railway.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
No social significance has been identified.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The shops are considered to have little archeological or research potential.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Inter-war Art Deco style shops are rare in the Ryde area.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The shops are fine examples of Inter-war Art Deco style shops.
Integrity/Intactness: Shops are reasonably intact above awning level, although modified at ground level.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTIES: (Note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The following advice provides general principles that should be respected by all development.) The effect and intention of the group listing is to identify a group of heritage items, each individual property in the group having been assessed as having local heritage significance, and also having value as part of a group. In assessing the heritage impact of proposals, the impact of the proposed development on each individual heritage item's significance, as well as the heritage significance of the group setting as a whole must be taken into account. Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of the buildings should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. All significant exterior fabric should be retained and conserved. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades to Rowe Street and West Parade should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed, in particular above awning level. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: All development should respect the principle of ‘do as much as necessary but as little as possible’. In most instances, new work should not attempt to replicate historic forms. A ‘contemporary neutral’ design that sits quietly on the site, and enhances the quality of the item, will be a more sympathetic outcome than a ‘fake’ historic building. Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. It is understood that ground floor shopfronts have already been modernised and therefore further change to ground floor shopfronts can be considered.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2010    
Local Environmental PlanDraft Ryde LEP 2011I105   
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2014I10502 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP No. 105180A17 Jan 03 14353
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study1988180AJonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Review of 1988 Ryde Heritage Study.2002 Hill Thalis Architecture and Urban Projects.  Yes
Ryde SHI Review Stage 22012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340165


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.