Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling

Item details

Name of item: Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling
Other name/s: Lywood Park,, The Lodge
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 96 Winbourne Street, West Ryde, NSW 2114
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
96 Winbourne StreetWest RydeRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The dwelling is of historical significance for its relationship with the adjacent Victorian period house at No. 94 Winbourne Street, and for its association with the subdivision of Brush Farm..The dwelling is of aesthetic significance as a rare example of a Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling in the West Ryde area.
Date significance updated: 14 Dec 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Small single storey Federation Arts & Craft style cottage built to the street alignment on a small allotment. The roof is gabled and clad in slate with terracotta ridge capping and finials, with exposed overhanging eaves. The chimney is built of face brickwork. Upper surfaces of wall have a roughcast stucco finish while the face brickwork below has been painted. Gable ends are clad with timber shingles and the street facade features a bullseye window.
Original fenestration has been altered and there is a rear addition and carport.
Modifications and dates: The modern steel fence detracts from the setting of the house. A verandah has been added to the simple asymmetrical form. Original fenestration has been altered and there is a rear addition and carport.
Current use: Dwelling
Former use: Dwelling

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
Aboriginal people inhabited the Sydney basin for thousands of years prior to the arrival of Europeans. The northern coastal area of Sydney was home to the Guringai people, western Sydney was home to the Dharug clans, and southern Sydney was inhabited by the Dharawal clans. The Guringai lived primarily along the foreshores of the harbour, and fished and hunted in the waters and hinterlands of the area. All clans harvested food from their surrounding bush. Self-sufficient and harmonious, they had no need to travel far from their lands, since the resources around them were so abundant, and trade with other tribal groups was well established. The British arrival in 1788 had a dramatic impact on all of the Sydney clans. Food resources were quickly diminished by the invaders, who had little understanding of the local environment. As a result, the Aboriginal people throughout the Sydney Basin were soon close to starvation. The Sydney clans fought back against the invaders, but the introduction of diseases from Europe and Asia, most notably smallpox, destroyed over half the population. The clearing of land for settlements and farms displaced local tribes and reduced the availability of natural food resources, leaving Aboriginal people reliant on white food and clothing. The French surgeon and pharmacist Rene Primavere Lesson, who visited Sydney in 1824, wrote: "the tribes today are reduced to fragments scattered all around Port Jackson, on the land where their ancestors lived and which they do not wish to leave." (Information taken from City of Ryde Aboriginal Site Management Report, Aboriginal Heritage Office, 2011).

The area around West Ryde and Meadowbank was granted to the colonial official William Balmain, a surgeon on the First Fleet, from 1794. He named the property ‘Meadowbank’. This Estate was farmed by John and William Bennett throughout most of the nineteenth century, except for 40 acres that were sold to Major Edward Darvall. William Bennett was a sea captain involved in trade, who appreciated the river frontage. The Darvall property stretched from Shaftsbury Road to Ryedale Road and from Rowe Street to Victoria Road, a total of 360 acres (146 hectares). The Darvall’s built Ryedale House on the site in the late 1850’s, and the family lived there for the next 70 years. The other largest estate in the area, also covering both Meadowbank and West Ryde, was granted to Lieutenant William Kent between 1796 and 1799. Smaller land grants were made in 1798 to Edward Goodin , Michael Connor, Richard Porter and George Patfield. On the edge of the area was also small land grant made to the ex-convict Ann Thorn in 1795. She later married James Shepherd who acquired more land in the area, including William Kent’s original land grant. The Shepherd’s became a notable local family. James’ son, Isaac Shepherd, lived in the Meadowbank section of the Estate and built himself a two-storey sandstone mansion called Helenie. In the 1860s he was a member of the Legislative Assembly.

Shepherd’s Estate was the first subdivision in the area, and lots were offered for auction in 1841. All 23 lots were sold, although an economic downturn meant that development of the sites did not progress quickly. The Meadowbank Estate was first subdivided in 1883, in anticipation of the railway line. The Strathfield to Hornsby line was opened in 1886, and further Meadowbank Estate subdivisions were offered in 1888. Some lots, around Station Street, were sold to professional gentlemen who commuted to offices in the city. The largest land sale, however, was the Helenie Estate to the Mellor brothers. They established the Meadowbank Manufacturing Company in 1890. The site was well situated for both river and rail transport, and they separated some lots for building housing for Company officials. The Company manufactured agricultural implements, and later railway rolling stock and tramcars.

For most of the 19th century transport to and from the Ryde Council area across the Parramatta River was achieved by road and ferry. However, construction began on the Gladesville Bridge in 1878 and it opened for traffic on 1 February 1881. Nearly two years later, the Iron Cove Bridge opened in November 1882. With these two road bridges completed the entire pattern of Ryde's communication with the city altered.

The original railway bridge across the Parramatta River was the Meadowbank Bridge, a lattice girder bridge designed for John Whitton, (Engineer-in-Chief of the NSW Railways between 1856 and 1890). The bridge was competed in August 1886 as part of the original infrastructure for the Main North Line, and the stations along the section of the line from North Strathfield to Hornsby also opened in 1886. The construction of the railway encouraged rapid subdivision and construction in the areas near the railway stations at Meadowbank, West Ryde, Denistone and Eastwood. once land became available for subdivision into suburban blocks.

West Ryde as a suburb did not develop a separate identity to Ryde until the 1920s and 1930s. It was designated as its own postal area in 1926, and the local public school was renamed ‘West Ryde Public School’ in 1930 (originally called Meadowbank). The railway station was not changed to West Ryde until 1945, although the name had been debated for several decades previous to the final change.

ITEM HISTORY
Winbourne Street West Ryde was previously Winburn St. William Cox, the paymaster of the NSW Corp, who received a grant in the Ryde district ( which was later purchased by Gregory Blaxland and named Brush Farm), was born at ‘Wimbourne Minster’ in Dorset. Despite the different spelling of the original street name, it is thought to be named after Cox’s birthplace. Winbourne Street is shown (with that street name spelling) on a map of Ryde & Marsfield in Higginbotham & Robinson's Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney circq 1885-1890 (available for viewing in the Historical Atlas of Sydney, www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au).

96 Winbourne Street is associated with its near neighbour Glen Lynn (No. 94 Winbourne Street to the south) and was probably built as an auxiliary building of some kind. It was part of the same land title (NSW LTO Certificate of Title Vol 2810 Fol 77) until late 1955 when barrister Edy Little sold the property. The NSW Valuer-General's 1939 valuation of this property, which since at least 1923 had been called Lywood Park, indicates that the land had improvements of a "house etc" to the value of 1300 pounds. Riverview was valued at 613 pounds in 1939 and The Vinery at 725 pounds, clearly suggesting that this "house etc" in Winbourne Street encompassed both the buildings which today are Nos. 94 and 96 Winbourne Street.

When the land was subdivided in 1956, No. 94 Winbourne Street became Lot A and No. 96 Winbourne Street became Lot B. (Ref. Deposited Plan no 27511 dated November 1956). The footprints of both these buildings are shown in Deposited Plan no 401556, dated June 1956, drawn up so that these lots could be sold in advance of the rest of the subdivision. In a letter to Ryde Council in July 1956 a prospective purchaser of Lot B wrote saying that he believed the cottage on this lot was at least 40 years old. Council's building inspector reported that the cottage was "an old brick veneer dwelling evidently used as Servants' Quarters to a large home on the estate." Another prospective buyer wrote to Council in August 1956 identifying the cottage as The Lodge. This information would give an estimated construction date of 1916 for the building.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Suburban Development-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The dwelling is of historical significance for its relationship with the adjacent Victorian period house at No. 94 Winbourne Street.and for its association with the subdivision of Brush Farm.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Dwelling is of aesthetic significance as a rare example of a Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling in the West Ryde area.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The dwelling is a rare example of a Federation Arts & Crafts style dwelling in the West Ryde area.
Integrity/Intactness: Dwelling is reasonably intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

DOCUMENTATION: A Heritage Impact Statement is required by Council to accompany any Development Application for non-minor work. Please consult Council staff about your proposal and the level of documentation that will be required as early as possible in the process. Note that Council has adopted planning provisions to assist in the making of minor changes that will not have any impact on the significance of properties without the need to prepare a formal application or Heritage Impact Statement. In this case Council must be consulted in writing to confirm the nature of the works. APPROACHES TO MANAGING THE HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROPERTY: (Note: the detailed requirements for each property will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The following advice provides general principles that should be respected by all development.) Further subdivision of the land is discouraged. The overall form of the building should be retained and conserved and new uses should be restricted to those that are historically consistent and/or able to be accommodated within the existing fabric with minimal physical impact. All significant exterior fabric should be retained and conserved. The setting of the property should be protected from the impacts of development and significant plantings, walls, paths and other landscape elements should be retained in a manner that will not threaten the viability of significant gardens, landscapes or views. The external surfaces and materials of significant facades (generally, but not limited to, those visible from the street or a public place including the water) should be retained, and painted surfaces painted in appropriate colours. Sandstone and face brickwork should not be painted or coated. Significant door and window openings should not be enlarged or enclosed. OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHANGE: All development should respect the principle of ‘do as much as necessary but as little as possible’. In most instances, new work should not attempt to replicate historic forms. A ‘contemporary neutral’ design that sits quietly on the site, and enhances the quality of the item, will be a more sympathetic outcome than a ‘fake’ historic building. Respecting the scale and overall forms, proportions and rhythms of the historic fabric is critical. As a general principle, all major alterations and additions should NOT: - result in demolition of significant fabric - result in excessive site cover; - be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing buildings. - intrude into any views of the property from the public domain, including the water; and should be: - located behind the historic building/s on the site; - visually subservient and have minimal impact on heritage significance including that of views over the property. Single storey extensions will generally be preferred over two-storey forms unless there is a sound heritage reason to do otherwise. Attic rooms must be accommodated in the original roof form. Solid fences or high walls on street boundaries and structures - including car parking structures - forward of the front building line are strongly discouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2010176   
Local Environmental PlanRyde Draft LEP 2011I176   
Local Environmental PlanRyde LEP 2014I17602 Sep 14   
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP No. 10530917 Jan 03 14360
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ryde Heritage Study1988309Jonathan Falk Planning Consutants P/L Assoc with Rodney Jensen and Assoc P/L  No
Review of 1988 Ryde Heritage Study.2002 Hill Thalis Architecture and Urban Projects.  Yes
Ryde SHI Review Stage 12012 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAngela Phippen2008West Ryde suburb history, Dictionary of Sydney online

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2340169


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.