Former two storey Anglican rectory and garden | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Former two storey Anglican rectory and garden

Item details

Name of item: Former two storey Anglican rectory and garden
Other name/s: Former St Lukes Anglican Church Rectory & Garden
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 68 Princess Street, Berry, NSW 2535
Parish: COOLANGATTA
County: CAMDEN
Local govt. area: Shoalhaven
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
68 Princess StreetBerryShoalhavenCOOLANGATTA CAMDEN Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Good representative example of the type of rectory erected by late nineteenth century urban communities in response to the need to accomodate clergy in their community. The Federation period rectory forms a group with the church and is an important element in the streetscapes of Berry. Historic and social value to the community. Local significance (Shoalhaven).
Date significance updated: 29 Sep 17
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: W Isley and Sons
Builder/Maker: W Isley and Sons
Construction years: 1892-1892
Physical description: Federation period two storey brick residence constructed of face brick with sandstone foundations, capped by a steep, slate covered gable roof over an asymmetrical T-plan form. The gables are accentuated by simple woodwork in the Federation Carpenter Gothic/Queen Anne style. A two storey verandah with filigree cast iron trellis work returns along each side of a projecting bay. A single brick chimney with brick capping and string courses articulates the roof. Ganged brick arches over double hung windows. French doors opening onto verandahs. Cement rendered faceted bay window to second projection.
Modifications and dates: Extensive restoration work was executed 1977-78.
Further information: Historical Period: 1876-1900
Current use: Private residence
Former use: Anglican Rectory

History

Historical notes: St Lukes Anglican rectory was erected in 1892 adjacent to St Lukes Anglican Church in Princess Street. Mr James Wilson, former Mayor of the District laid the foundation stone on 9 November 1891 and the building cost 1360 pounds.. The first minister to reside there was Reverend Luke Parr who was at St Lukes between 1882 and 1894. Extensive restoration work was executed 1977-78. The building is now a private home.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The item is of historical signficance as a good example of a two storey, brick rectory was erected in 1892 adjacent to St Lukes Anglican Church.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The rectory is a good example of a two storey, Federation Carpenter Gothic/Queen Anne style building with high quality external detailing.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is assessed as historically representative at a State level. This item is assessed as aesthetically representative at a State level.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Recommendations

Management CategoryDescriptionDate Updated
Statutory InstrumentInclude in a Conservation Area within an LEP05 Dec 12
Recommended ManagementPrepare or include in a Conservation Policy05 Dec 12

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Regional Environmental Plan     
Local Environmental PlanShoalhaven LEP 20146722 Apr 14   
Local Environmental Plan  13 Apr 07   
Heritage studyFmr St Lukes Anglican Church RectoryB007   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Illawarra Regional Heritage Study Review1993 Perumal Murphy Wu20.5.1993 VM No
Illawarra Regional Heritage Study Review1993 Perumal Murphy Wu  No
Shoalhaven City Council Heritage Study 1995-19981998B007Peter Freeman Pty Ltd29/5/96 PG Study: Y Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenM. Lidbetter1993Historic Sites of Berry.

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2390064


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.