Our Lady Star of The Sea | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Our Lady Star of The Sea

Item details

Name of item: Our Lady Star of The Sea
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: Cooma Street, Dalgety, NSW 2628
Local govt. area: Snowy River
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Cooma StreetDalgetySnowy River  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Our Lady Star of the Sea is one of Dalgety's oldest buildings, it is an important landmark in the district and displays Gothic features from the Victorian and Federation periods. It is one of a significant group of stone Monaro churches and is regarded by the community as an intrinsic part of the Dalgety village.
Date significance updated: 08 Apr 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: GD Cochran 1910
Builder/Maker: A Mawson 1910
Construction years: 1878-
Physical description: Our Lady is a solid granite church with steep pitched corrugated iron roof, Gothic windows and doors, buttresses with rendered decoration and castellated church vestibule. It has stained glass windows and there is a stone outhouse and mature pines.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:28 Mar 11
Modifications and dates: The castellated vestibule was added in 1910.
Current use: Church

History

Historical notes: Our Lady Star of the Sea was opened in 1878, four years after the town was surveyed. In 1910 GD Cochran designed an addition, a castellated vestibule and this was constructed by Arthur Mawson, Cooma builder.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship Building in stone-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The church was built in 1878 only a few years after Dalgety was surveyed by JR Campbell when he layed out reservations for a church, courthouse, police station and recreation grounds.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Our Lady was designed in the Victorian Gothic style while the 1910 addition by GD Cochran displays the Federation Gothic style. The church was positioned to take a commanding view of the countryside spread out below and in turn it is an important landmark
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Our Lady is significant to the local Roman Catholic population and also to the general community having been a centre for religious services for more than 130 years.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative of Monaro stone churches, part of an important group.
Integrity/Intactness: Good
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I11713 Dec 13   
Local Environmental PlanAmend No 15712 May 00  4053

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Snowy River Heritage Study1998CA.D.07Tropman & Tropman  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1989Dalgety Public School 1889-1989

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2410005


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.