Coolringdon | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Coolringdon

Item details

Name of item: Coolringdon
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Farming and Grazing
Category: Homestead Complex
Primary address: 1432 Kosciuszko Road, Coolringdon, NSW 2630
Parish: COOLRINGDON
County: BERESFORD
Local govt. area: Snowy River
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1432 Kosciuszko RoadCoolringdonSnowy RiverCOOLRINGDONBERESFORDPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Coolringdon is a significant pastoral complex which relates directly to the early settlement of Monaro, having been established in 1829 by Stewart Ryrie, one of NSW’s pastoral pioneers (criteria (a) & (b)). The property was owned from c1850 by William Bradley and was the centre of his vast Monaro holdings (criteria (b)). His manager, noted pastoralist William A Brodribb, lived in the White Cottage, built about 1850 (criteria (b)). The stone core of the cottage is one of the earliest extant buildings at Coolringdon (criteria (a)). The house demonstrates Colonial vernacular architectural elements and its bow top windows and doors, leading onto the front verandah, are an unusual refinement (criteria (c)). The White Cottage is tangible evidence of earliest settlement in the district and the evolution of mid 19th century rural dwellings into the early 20th century ((criteria (a)). The property and its infrastructure are highly valued by the local community as one of the significant holdings of the district (criteria (d)). It is has a considerable degree of intactness and integrity and makes an important contribution to the cultural heritage of Monaro. Buildings of this age and intactness are rare in the Monaro district and uncommon in other rural areas of the state (criteria (f)). The Coolringdon rural complex has been assigned a high degree of heritage significance at State level.
Date significance updated: 17 Feb 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: 1908 DG Cochran, 1950s John Suttor
Builder/Maker: Potter & Scarlett 1866
Construction years: 1829-
Physical description: The single storey homestead is mostly built of stone with corrugated iron roof for the front section and standing ridge metal tiles for the rear section. The buildings form a rear courtyard with verandahs on two sides and a filled-in verandah on the third side. The front facade features two gables, with bay windows, and a pergola covered terrace between. The homestead is set in extensive terraced gardens which run down to a tennis court and park area. In the vicinity of the homestead are several outbuilding including a slab smithy's shop and stone garage. The White Cottage, a seven room stone building with front verandah and corrugated iron roof, is some 100m away. There is also a large corrugated iron shearing shed with shearers' quarters and yards. Several other outbuildings, a manager's house and fibro cottage complete the complex which is approached by a pine lined driveway.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Generally good although the White Cottage and some of the outbuildings are in poor condition.
Date condition updated:06 Mar 11
Modifications and dates: Coolringdon is a farming complex which has developed over 180 years. The earliest buildings are believed to be the White Cottage and the two rear stone rooms at the back of the homestead circa 1840/50. The main part of the homestead believed to have been built in 1866 by the Cooma firm Potter and Scarlett, is Victorian. Major modifications took place in 1908 and c1950. The 1910 garage was built of stone from the original wool shed.
Current use: Dwelling, farm buildings

History

Historical notes: Coolringdon was one of the earliest and largest stations on Monaro having been established by Stewart Ryrie in 1829. His son, Stewart Ryrie jnr, was manager of the property for several years around 1840. Coolringdon was bought by William Bradley in 1854 and it became the centre of his vast pastoral holdings. In 1866

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Pastoralism-Activities associated with the breeding, raising, processing and distribution of livestock for human use Sheep and cattle grazing-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Building in stone-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Coolringdon is significant as a pastoral complex which relates to the early settlement of the Cooma district. It was one of the earliest and largest stations on Monaro, having been established in 1829 by Stewart Ryrie. The cottages at the rear of the homestead complex appear to be pre or circa 1840.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The property has strong associations with a number of individuals and families who were prominent in the settlement of Monaro and in NSW generally. It has been owned and associated with Stewart Ryrie and his son, then William Bradley who amassed vast racks of Monaro land and then passed onto William Wallace another of Monaro's great landholders. The property was also managed at one time by noted pastoralist William A Brodribb.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Coolringdon homestead complex, outbuildings and garden, including the woolshed, shearers' quarters and yards, are part of a broad cultural landscape. The architectural evolution of the homestead demonstrates the changes in social expectations and building techniques. Alterations circa 1900 were designed by local architect DG Cochran and alterations circa 1960 by Sydney architect John Suttor. The garden and driveway are noteworthy features of the property.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Coolringdon is highly valued by the local and wider community as an historic property and a notable homestead and garden.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The property could reveal information regarding the development of Australian building and farming practices over nearly two centuries.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative example of a large Monaro pastoral enterprise which has developed and evolved over 180 years.
Integrity/Intactness: Integrity good and relatively intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanAmend No 15712 May 00  4053
Local Environmental Plan I9013 Dec 13   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Snowy River Heritage Study19983.01Tropman & Tropman  Yes
Coolringdon Homestead Precinct, Cooma CMP2003 Peter Freeman  Yes
After the Slab & Bark Huts1990 Suzannah Plowman  No
After the Slab & Bark Huts1990 Suzannah Plowman  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2410070


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.