Holy Trinity Church Group Including Buildings and Their Interiors And Fence To R | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Holy Trinity Church Group Including Buildings and Their Interiors And Fence To R

Item details

Name of item: Holy Trinity Church Group Including Buildings and Their Interiors And Fence To R
Other name/s: Trinity Church
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: 55 Erskineville Road, Erskineville, NSW 2043
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
55 Erskineville RoadErskinevilleSydney  Primary Address
Rochford StreetErskinevilleSydney  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Erskineville is a fine and very intact example of the work of the Blacket Brothers, sons of the distinguished architect Edmund T Blacket. The site is also historically significant for its association with Erskine Villa, one of the early villas in the area and the church’s first rectory, and with the history of the growth of the Anglican Church in inner city Sydney. Architecturally the site contains a highly accomplished Arts and Crafts Church featuring many fine details, such as the open trussed roof, bell turret, detailed brickwork and some original furniture. It is aesthetically rare as one of the last churches to be designed in the Arts and Crafts style by the Blacket brothers and as a late Victorian inner city church of relatively modest size.
Date significance updated: 07 Apr 10
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Blacket Brothers
Builder/Maker: (Kelly Brown and Goddard of Macdonaldtown)
Construction years: 1885-1961
Physical description: The site contains a Victorian Arts and Crafts brick church of simple rectangular form with attached projecting entrance and north-eastern porches. A timber bell tower surmounts the west gable and a cross the east gable. Sandstone is used in the floor level stringcourse, capping of buttresses and window keystones. There are terracotta label moulds. The interior has east painted wall above curtain-covered timber panelling; other walls plastered and painted. There is an unusual Queen Anne Revival Style decorative plaster cornice. There are good quality stained glass windows, the majority of which commemorate sons lost in the Great War, with the two western windows being transferred from the former St. Columns Church in Dixon Street, Newtown. A pipe organ by William Davidson was installed 1905 and is important for being one of his last organs and being almost unaltered.

In front of the church, to the Rochford Street alignment there is a sandstone fence with iron railings, built 1924 and restored in 2010.

The church is at the southernmost end of the block, fronting Rochford Street. To the rear, at the south-east corner of the property is an 1895 single brick hall with a c1930s addition (the present kitchen) which joins it to the church.

To the north of the church is a c 1960s brick rectory. North of the rectory is car park accessible from Erskineville Road.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
In good condition with a high degree of original fabric intact and high potential for restoration. Some cracking to brickwork (church) and sandstone posts to front fence on Rochford St is evident (2006).
Date condition updated:31 Oct 06
Modifications and dates: Rear brick hall built 1895 and since extended and joined to church. Sandstone fence with iron railings built 1924.

Building Application - BA/1993/187 - ADDITIONS AND ALTERATIONS TO CHURCH HALL (renovate and extend toilet block-construct drainage lines and paving in courtyard and renovate church hall). Approved 30-Apr-1993.
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: church and rectory
Former use: church and rectory

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today.

The site is part of the 90 acres granted to Convict Superintendent Nicholas Devine in 1799. The first building on the subject site was house built in c 1832 for Rev George Erskine, a Methodist Minister, and Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission in these colonies, who preached at the Princes Street Wesleyan Chapel in The Rocks. His house, Erskine Villa ( later named Erskine Ville and Herbert Villa) gave its name to the suburb.
.
Following the Rev Erskine's death in 1834, Erskine Villa was acquired by Robert Henderson and then by William Toogood, publican and proprietor of the York Street Masonic Hall. Upon his death in 1853, Toogood bequeathed Erskine Villa and its property to the Anglican Church. His widow subsequently married the Rev Charles Campbell Kemp, Rector of St Stephen's Anglican Church from 1846-48.

The current Holy Trinity Church as built on the subject property behind Erskine Villa, in 1885, and consecrated on 19th April that year. It was designed by the office of Blacket Brothers, Cyril and Arthur Blacket, the sol of celebrated architect Edmund T Blacket.

The Trinity Anglican Church , Macdonaldtown, had existed from at least 1880, at the corner of George Street and Erskineville Road, under the leadership of Rev Speer. , When the Blacket church was erected, it too was know as the Trinity Church Macdonaldtown, and faced the street then known as Toogood Street. With the passing of the Borough of Erskineville Naming Act in 1893, the present suburb of Erskineville was created and the church became know as the Holy Trinity Erskineville. Toogood Street as since been renamed Rochford Street.

In 1894-95 a hall was built ( in two phases of construction) behind the church for use as a school rook. In 1905, after years of fundraising, a pipe organ by William Davidson, one of his last, was purchased and installed. A sandstone and iron palisade fence to Rochford Street was erected in 1924 and c 1930 the hall was extend at its north-western end, creating the present kitchen and joining the hall to the church.

In 1961 Erskine Villa , which had served for the rectory for around 80 years was demolished. A single storey brick veneer replacement with garage, designed by architects Thompson Spooner and Dixon was erected in 1962 by builder HN Barton.,

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship The Church-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Holy Trinity Church is historically significant for its association with Erskine Villa, one of the early villas in the area and the church’s first rectory, and with the history of the growth of the Anglican Church in inner city Sydney.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The church is deisgned by the Blacket Brothers, Cyril and Arthur Blacket, sons of the distinguished architect Edmund T Blacket.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The site contains s a highly accomplished Arts and Crafts Church featuring many fine details, such as the open trussed roof, bell turret, detailed brickwork and some original furniture.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
It is aesthetically rare as one of the last churches to be designed in the Arts and Crafts style by the Blacket brothers and as a late Victorian inner city church of relatively modest size.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The buildings should be retained and conserved. A Conservation Management Plan should be prepared for the buildings prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the buildings and no alterations to the façade of the buildings other than to reinstate original features. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of lesser significance, shall not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the Heritage Development Control Plan.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I60914 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
South Sydney Heritage Study1993 Tropman & Tropman Architects  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenClive Lucas, Ian Stapleton and Partners P/L2010Statement of Heritage Impact - Holy Trinity Anglican Church

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2420005


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.