Terrace Grop "Te-roma Penda House" and "Waratah House" Including Interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terrace Grop "Te-roma Penda House" and "Waratah House" Including Interiors

Item details

Name of item: Terrace Grop "Te-roma Penda House" and "Waratah House" Including Interiors
Other name/s: 'Te-roma' (No.164); 'Penola House' (No.164b); 'Waratah House' (No.164c)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 164-164C Bourke Street, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010
Local govt. area: Sydney

Boundary:

The curtilage is the parcels of land on which each building is situated. No 164 is situated on Lot 1 DP 168490, No 164B on Lot 1 Dp 168491, and No 164C on Lot 1 DP 104999.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
164-164C Bourke StreetDarlinghurstSydney  Primary Address
164-164B Bourke StreetDarlinghurstSydneyAlexandriaCumberlandAlternate Address
164, 164B and 164C Bourke StreetDarlinghurstSydneyAlexandriaCumberlandAlternate Address

Statement of significance:

The terraces at 164-164C is representative of a key later layer of the history of Darlinghurst. It is aesthetically significant as an unusual group of high-set brick two storey Edwardian terraces with a sandstone base and gabled 3 storey towers.
Date significance updated: 29 Nov 10
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: R.B. Edward (owner)
Construction years: 1902-1902
Physical description: Two storey Edwardian terrace house group of 3 terraces, Nos. 164, 164B and 164C Bourke Street,, painted brick on a high sandstone base, with corrugated metal roof, and separate bullnose corrugated metal balcony roofs. Each house features a projecting three storey gabled tower with the top level projecting from the roof with a balcony at the front beneath the gable end. The terraces features cast iron stair balustrading/fencing from street level up to each front door, and cast iron balcony balustrading and freize to first floor balconies. Windows are timber framed double hung.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Brickwork would have originally been face brick, but is now painted. Each terrace has a gabled tower projecting from the roof level, with a balcony to the front (beneath the gable end).
Date condition updated:14 Nov 05
Modifications and dates: The central terrace in the group of three has a pair of modern skylights added to the front of the roof.
Further information: Comparative Analysis:
Nos. 164, 164B & 164C Bourke Street are relatively late terraces within the mostly Victorian terrace housing stock of the inner city suburbs. By the turn of the twentieth century, there were only small ‘pockets’ of vacant land in Darlinghurst. Relatively few terraces were built after 1900. Not only were terraces increasingly maligned as a form of housing, there was also strong political pressure for the development of land for industrial purposes. Nevertheless, terraces continued to be constructed in the period 1900 to 1919 on vacant land and, in some notable examples, on land cleared as part of the slum eradication projects of the early 1900s.

The Edwardian period terrace differed from its Victorian counterpart in the number of ways. Many of the ‘mid range’ terraces (i.e. not the mansion terrace or the poorest terrace) of this period are wider and larger than their Victorian counterparts, perhaps the outcome of more stringent building regulations and the reports of a number of late nineteenth century Royal Commissions into the poor state of the City’s Victorian housing stock. There are also distinct architectural differences. The ‘mid range’ Victorian period terraces is usually symmetrical, are seldom break-fronted, are almost always of rendered masonry, have iron or slate roofs and are frequently ornamented with mass produced cast iron lace. By 1900, the characteristics of the detached Federation Style suburban dwelling were also being employed in terrace architecture. Edwardian period terraces are characterised by face brickwork, often tuck-pointed and/or two toned and sometimes combined with rusticated stonework or rough cast render; are often break-fronted or have a forward facing projection; often have gables, a simplification of the often complex hipped-roof forms of the free standing Federation Style dwelling, and roofs clad in terracotta tile; and typically have ornamental or simple timberwork to verandahs. Particular nuances within the overall umbrella of the Federation Style are often apparent, for example, details adopted from the Federation Arts and Crafts Style or the Federation Queen Anne Style. Not all examples of the Edwardian period terraces can be considered ‘pure’ examples.’ Many are transitional in style or continue Victorian traditions, such as the use of cast iron lace. Federation window styles and grouping also differ from the Victorian period in, for example, the use of casement windows and large panes broken by a row of smaller panes (sometimes with coloured glass) to the top and/or bottom.

The most notable concentration and, arguably, the most outstanding of the Edwardian Style terrace within the City of Sydney are located in Millers Point and The Rocks. Examples include the shop terraces at 21-29 Kent Street (SHI No.2423593), 66 and 68 Bettington Street (SHI No.2423581), 15-25 Dalgetty Terrace (SHI No.2423584), 3-9 High Street, Millers Point (SHI No.2423586) and 46-56 Gloucester Street, The Rocks (SHI No.5053226). These terrace rows were consciously constructed to a high architectural standard as model working class housing. They are decidedly Edwardian in Style (as opposed to transitional) and demonstrate high levels of intactness (externally at least). This is reflected by their listing on the State Heritage Register. Nos. 164, 164B & 164C Bourke Street do not demonstrate a comparable level of architectural merit or intactness.

There are a number of rows of Edwardian period terraces listed as items of local heritage significance by the City of Sydney, including:

- Nos. 257-297 Forbes Street, Dalinghurst SHI No.2420754), constructed c. 1900-1. A row of twenty-one two and three storey Federation Queen Anne Style terraces. This terrace row is one of the longest terrace rows in this style within the City of Sydney area. The row provides a fine example of the Queen Anne Style in terrace form, demonstrating a complex and varied roof form, including half timbered gables, a combination of tuck-pointed face brickwork and roughcast render, and extensive fret- work timber verandah detailing. Overall, intactness is high, with the exception of some painting to face brickwork and alterations to verandahs.
- Nos. 155A-157 Palmer Street, Dalinghurst (SHI No.2421084). A two-storey row of thirteen terraces known as the ‘Bakers Dozen’, c.1903. This row is transitional in style. The overall form is Victorian and the terraces ornamented with cast iron lace. The window proportions and arrangement are, however, Federation in style. This row is notable for its length and the intactness of the rear elevations. The brickwork, however, has mostly been painted and many of the original slate roofs replaced.
- Nos. 512-518 Bourke Street, SurryHills (SHI No.2420474). A group of four two storey transitional terraces constructed c.1905. Not particularly outstanding examples.
- Nos. 17-19 Brown Street, Newown (SHI No.2420525). Two storey Federation Queen Anne Style terraces with two tone face brickwork, projecting two storey tower element, arched entrance porch to ground floor and semi-circular headed windows to first floor and cast iron lace balustrades. One painted.
- 2-4Rockwall Crescent, Potts Point (SHI No.2421250). A fine and intact (externally, to front) pair of two storey Federation Queen Anne Style terraces with projecting corner tower element, stone sills and two tone brickwork. Cast iron lace balustrade.
- Nos. 553-561 South DowlingStreet (SHI No.2421286). Substantial two storey three storey Federation Arts and Crafts Style terraces. Intact, with exception of painting some of the face brick work, verandah enclosures and some changes to roof covering.
- Nos. 563-579 South Dowling Street, ‘Wyee Terace' (SHI No.2421287). Substantial two storey Federation Arts and Crafts terraces. Common alterations as for above.

Federation Style and transitional style Edwardian period terraces are reasonably well represented by existing heritage listings. Nos. 164, 164B & 164C Bourke Street, Darlinghurst, are representative of the Edwardian Style terraces which, while Federation in style nevertheless, retain an essentially Victorian element in the use of cast iron ornamentation. Most of the above listed examples are notable for a particular element. The Brown Street, Newtown terraces have an unusual parapet; the Rockwall Crescent Street terraces have distinctive corner turrets and some of the terraces comprising Wyee Terrace on South Dowling Street have a combination of rough cast and stucco ornamentation to gabled parapets.

The subject terraces similarly have unusual elements in the inset stairs and tower element. The painting of the brickwork is problematic in that it reduces the understanding of these terraces as of the Edwardian period, but it is, theoretically, reversible. While ordinary of their period and style, these terraces are representative of the final phase of terrace development in Darlinghurst. After c.1920, most new residential construction in Darlinghurst was for residential flat buildings.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential; Boarding House

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.

(Information sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/barani )

Early European Land Use:
In December 1792, Governor Phillip established the boundaries of the Township of Sydney. The eastern boundary stretched from the modern day junction of Elizabeth and Albion Streets to the south eastern corner of Hyde Park and thence to Woolloomooloo Bay. Modern day Darlinghurst thus lay outside the first official boundaries of Sydney. From January 1793, successive Governors granted land outside these boundaries in order to open up the land and augment the colony’s food supplies.

The nature of the land grants (or reserves) made to the immediate east and south of the township boundaries was such that the area would remain sparsely settled throughout the first part of the nineteenth century. To the immediate east of the township boundary was the 100 acre ‘Wall-loo-moo-loo Farm’ (sic), a grant made to the Colony’s Commissary, John Palmer, on 25 February, 1793. Palmer gradually extended his estate to over 300 acres, encompassing much of Surry Hills. Palmer’s land in Surry Hills was subdivided in 1814. Much of this area later became part of the Riley Estate and would remain under-developed until the mid 1840s.

In the late 1820s, part of Governor Macquarie’s former reserve was subdivided by his successor, Governor Darling, into a number of exclusive villa estates for senior government officials. Known initially as the Woolloomooloo Heights, this cluster of fifteen villa estates was subsequently renamed Darlinghurst - Darling for the Governor and "hurst" being an Old English word for "a wooded hill" - a name that remains to this day. The subject property stands on one of these grants.

The fifteen grants on Woolloomooloo Heights were intended to fulfil a number of purposes. By the 1820s, the physical survival of Sydney had been ensured and colonial authorities were in a better position to more vigorously address the haphazard manner in which buildings had sprung up in and around the township. The Woolloomooloo Heights terminated the vista from Sydney; Governor Darling intended the villas of Woolloomooloo Heights to provide an example to the citizens of Sydney. Equally important was the need to create a place where government officials, whose duties required their daily attendance on the township but whose social position demanded out of town estates, would be content to reside.

Governor Darling selected the nominees for the allotments on Woolloomooloo Heights in 1828. With the exception of the prosperous merchant Alexander Sparke, all were government employees - there were no emancipists. The grantees do not appear to have obtained legal title to their land until they had agreed upon a series of conditions, the most important of which was the building of a villa, to plans approved by the Governor, within the period of three years from the promise of the grant. William Street, designed in the early 1830s by Sir Thomas Mitchell, was the principal means of access into and out of Darlinghurst.

Barham:
The subject property stands on land originally granted to the Scottish born administrator and politician (Sir) Edward Deas Thomson (1800-1879), who had arrived in the Colony in 1829 and become Clerk to the Legislative Council. In 1837, he succeeded Alexander Macleay as Colonial Secretary, a position he held until 1856. Thompson was promised a grant of six acres on the Woolloomooloo Heights in 1831; the grant, however, was not officially made until 1835. During the interim, John Verge designed the villa Barham, completed in 1833. Thomson and his wife, a daughter of the Governor, Sir Richard Bourke for whom Bourke Street was named, lived at Barham until Thomson’s death in July 1879. The villa still stands, albeit in much altered form, in the grounds of SCEGGS Darlinghurst.

Long before Thomson’s death, the original grounds of Barham were reduced by subdivision. An increase in the intensity of land use to the east of Sydney had first been stimulated by the presence of convicts employed on the construction of Busby’s Bore. Shortly after the Bore was completed (1837), three major institutions appeared on the South Head Road: Darlinghurst Gaol (opened in 1841), Darlinghurst Court House (opened 1842) and the Victoria Barracks (opened 1848). The Gaol and Court Buildings dominated their surroundings, including the entrance into Darlinghurst Road and Victoria Street from Oxford Street.

Although the conditions on Darling’s villa grants were not formally rescinded until 1847, the subdivision of these estates, particularly those within the Woolloomooloo Basin, commenced in the early 1840s. While parts of Darlinghurst would remain a fashionable suburb throughout the nineteenth century, its exclusiveness as a precinct of large villa estates for Sydney’s elite was thus short lived. Many of the subdivisions incorporated small lots for the working man and his family. An advertisement for Mitchell’s Craigend Estate in 1841, for example, encouraged the "merchant" or "tradesman" to enjoy the advantages of a "country residence" (Broadbent, 1987: 27).

Sydney’s population grew rapidly between 1830 and 1850 and the township began to extend beyond its earlier limits. Modern day Surry Hills, Darlinghurst and Woolloomooloo comprised the largest area of freehold land adjacent to the township. In 1842, the growth of Sydney found expression in the creation of the City of Sydney. The subject property lay within the Cook Ward of the newly declared City of Sydney boundaries. The boundary represented the extent of settlement around Sydney, with "generous provision" for expansion. In 1842, the population within this area was approximately 30,000; by 1851, it would grow to 44,200.

From the early 1840s onwards, maps and plans detail an ever-increasing network of streets throughout modern day Darlinghurst and adjoining areas. A plan prepared by Edward Hallen in 1842, "shewing the position of the intended new streets at Darlinghurst: as agreed to be open'd by the several Proprietors whose signatures are attached thereto", clearly shows the line of the northern section of Bourke Street. Woolcot and Clarke’s plan of 1854 shows that Bourke and Forbes Street had been extended southward and a large part of the Barham Estate had been subdivided into small lots. By 1865, St. Peters Street, then known as Ann Street, had been created. During the second half of the nineteenth century, the population of Sydney increased sevenfold. Employment for many of the inhabitants of Darlinghurst at this time would have been relatively local. Nineteenth century Sydney was a "walking city". It was not until the mid 1880s that public transport for the workingman was subsidised; people tended to live close to their place of employment.

Throughout this early period of growth and change, the subject property remained part of the grounds of Barham. In the rate and valuation records for the 1860s and 1870s, Barham is given the street number 200 Bourke Street; the record for 1867 describes it as ‘house, stone, shingle, 3 storey, 20 rooms. These records indicate that, following Thompson’s death, Lady Deas Thompson continued to occupy the property until the mid 1880s. By 1891, the property had been sold to E.D. Ogilvie, part of a family with pastoral connections. The Hon. E. Ogilvie is first listed at Barham, now No. 164 Bourke Street, in the Sands Directory of 1885.

The Sydney Metropolitan Detail Series plan of this section of Bourke Street in 1884 reveals that the greater part of the original grounds of Barham had been subdivided by this date. The subject site is the only site with a frontage to Bourke Street still part of the grounds of Barham.

Construction of the Terraces 164, 164B & 164C Bourke Street:
The last time that Brougham was listed from Bourke Street in John Sands Directories occurred in 1890, when the villa was occupied by Miss Louisa Ellis’ Ladies School. The property, however, continued to be rated as 164 Bourke Street until 1901. The next available valuation record, for 1905, indicates that there was ‘land’ between Nos. 162 and 166 Bourke Street, owned by R.B. Edward. Evidence that the terraces were constructed the following year is provided by surviving correspondence between R.B. Edward, Alderman West and the Town Clerk with regard to the level of the footpath. In May 1902, Edward wrote to Alderman West:

"Dear Sir

I am building three new houses at 164 Bourke Street, near William Street, Woollomoo (sic). When I commenced to build there some several months ago...My new houses are just about complete (Town Clerk Correspondence Files, 1902/1724)"

Nos. 164, 164B & 164C Bourke Street are first listed on the Sands’ Directory of 1903 and were then occupied by Miss Ellen Arthur (164) Mrs. M. Dunstone (164B) and G.D. Georgeson (164C). By the time that the terraces were again rated in 1908-1910, they had been sold to Moses Wolfe. As indicated by Sands’ Directories and Rate and Valuation Records (see below), the terraces would remain tenanted properties for some time to come.

The three Bourke Street terraces were built in a city recovering from the economic depression that had dominated the economy of the eastern Australian colonies during the 1890s. It was also an era of changing social demographics. From the 1880s, the greater part of Sydney’s population were native born. The growing contemporary awareness of a unique identity culminated in political federation and the proclamation of the Commonwealth of Australia on 1 January, 1901.

The earliest rate and valuation record for the terraces (1908) describe them as three storey brick houses with slate roofs and ten rooms. The valuation of these terraces was higher than for the other, mostly two storey, terraces along this block, a reflection of their greater size. The terraces, however, were built in a Darlinghurst with a declining reputation. During the late nineteenth century, as public transport improved and the outer suburbs expanded, there was a steady move away from inner city living. Detached or semi-detached housing out of the old mixed industrial and residential inner city suburbs were strongly advocated as being healthier and more desirable than the inner city terrace. Those who could afford to moved out. The City Council came to administer an area that was increasingly "working class in character" (Fitzgerald, 1992: 215). Thus while, for example, judges, lawyers, merchants and graziers etc., had occupied the often grand terraces of William, Victoria and surrounding streets during the 1860s and 1870s, there were few professionals resident in the area by the outbreak of World War I (1914). The steady increase of boarding houses during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century:

"brought a raffishness to the precincts of Darlinghurst and East Sydney - a characteristic which in time came to be seen as the defining feature of these neighbourhoods (Faro, 2000: 101)."

This "raffishness" was reinforced by the bohemian lifestyle perceived to be part and parcel of Darlinghurst life and the influx of United States serviceman into Kings Cross during World War II.

The Rate Records would suggest that the subject terraces were occupied as private residences until at least the 1940s. This does not rule out the possibility that ‘lodgers’ were taken in. William, Crown, Victoria, Dowling, Brougham and Bourke Streets were dominated by tenanted terraces operating as boarding houses. Darlinghurst, however, as it had throughout its history, continued to be a suburb of contrasts. Pockets of the suburb continued to attract the affluent. A 1917 guide entitled "Where to Live in Sydney" listed the suburb, along with Potts Point, Elizabeth Bay and Moore Park, as the "best residential potions of the area controlled by the City of Sydney (Spearitt, 1978: 198)."

Nos. 164, 164B & 164C Bourke Street were built during the last significant period of terrace house construction in Darlinghurst. After World War I new residential development in the area was predominately in the form of residential flat buildings.

The reputation of Darlinghurst was reinforced with the presence of American Servicemen during World War II. It is only since the 1960s-70s that a revival of inner city living has occurred. Often contentious, particularly along Victoria Street, development renewed interest in the Georgian and Victorian housing stock of the area.

Building records provide evidence that an application was made to demolish Nos. 164, 164B & 164C Bourke Street in the 1970s. Between 1982 and 1994, they were occupied as boarding houses.

From Rate and Valuation Records:
1867: 200 Bourke Street. E. Deas Thompson, owner and occupier. House, stone, shingle, 3 storey, 20 rooms.

1871: 200 Bourke Street. House and grounds occupied by Lady Deas Thompson. Brick, shingle; 3 storeys, 15 rooms.

1886: 164 Bourke Street. House and grounds occupied by Lady Deas Thompson. Brick and shingle; 3 storeys, 15 rooms.

1891: 164 Bourke Street: House and land owned by E.D. Ogilvie; brick and stone; slates; 3 storeys, 20 rooms.

1901: 164 Bourke Street: House and Land. Owned by E.D. Ogilvie and occupied by T.G. Gurney.

164 Bourke Street
Owner:
1911: Moses Woolfe.
1921: T. Taylor.
1931: Arthur Murphy.
1939: Estate Late Arthur Murphy.
1948: Molly Brown.

Person Rated:
1911: Harriet Arthur
1921: Helen Arthur.
1931: Miss Molly Murphy.
1939: Molly Brown.
1948: Molly Brown.

Description:
1911: House. Brick, slate, 2; 10 rooms.
1921: House. Brick, Slate, 2; 10 rooms.
1931: House, Brick, Slate, 2; 10 rooms + Kitchen.
1939: House. Brick, slate, 2; 10 rooms.
1948: ‘Te-Roma’. Brick, slate, 2; 10 rooms.

164B Bourke Street
Owner:
1911: Moses Woolfe.
1921: T. Taylor.
1931: James W. Fuller.
1939: Solomon Cherque & Adele Alphondine Cherque.
1948: Solomon Cherque & Adele Alphondine Cherque.

Person Rated:
1911: Leon Gordon.
1921: Sarah Kennedy.
1931: Walter Horan.
1938: Amelia O’Keefe.
1948: Amelia O’Keefe.

Description:
1911: House, brick, slate, 2; 10.
1921: House. Brick, slate, 2; 10.
1931: House. Brick, Slate, 2; 9 rooms + kitchen.
1938: House. Brick, slate, 2; 9 rooms.
1948: ‘Penola House.’ Brick, Slate, 2; 9 rooms.

164C Bourke Street
Owner:
1911: Moses Woolfe
1921: T. Taylor
1931: Wayne and Emma Richards.
1939: Wayne Richards.
1948: Wayne Richards

Person Rated:
1911: Alice Porters.
1921: Mary A Cooksley
1931: Wayne and Emma Richards.
1939: Rhoda Mansell.
1948: Gertrude Sheather

Description:
1911: House. Brick, slate, 2; 10 rooms.
1921: House. Brick, Slate,2; 10 rooms.
1931: House. Brick, Slate, 2 & A; 13 + kitchen.
1939: House. Brick, Slate, 2 & A; 13 rooms.
1948: ‘Waratah House.’ Brick, Slate, 2 & A; 13 rooms.

Reference to use as Boarding House:
Boarding House Licence Card: Meravon P/L 25 May 1982 - 30 Jun 1988; Denudin P/L 30 Jun 1989; Networm Budget Accommodation 30 Jun 1990. 164B Bourke Street Darlinghurst. Meravon P/L 25 May 1982 - 30 Jun 1988. 164C Bourke Street Darlinghurst Meravon P/L 25 May 1982 - 30 Jun 1988. 164, 164B & 164C Bourke Street Darlinghurst (Properties merged). Denudin P/L 31 Jun 1990 - 30 Jun 1991. Ceased to Trade 19 May 1994. 4 Cards.

Available Building Records (City of Sydney Archives)
General:
164 Bourke Street. Additions, 1925. Reference: Planning Street Cards: Bourke Street.
164A Bourke Street. Additions, January 1928. Reference: Planning Street Cards: Bourke Street.
164A Bourke Street. Flat roof over existing rooms, 1931. Reference: Archives Investigator.
164A Bourke Street. Microfilm of plans- Meravon P/L, Aug/Sept. 1982. Reference: Archives Investigator.
164 Bourke Street. Alterations, 1953. Reference: Archives Investigator.
164 Bourke Street. DA New Building: Offices. Stephenson and Turner, 1971. Reference: Planning Street Cards: Bourke Street.
164A Bourke Street. Temporary use of residential premises as a church. Stephenson and Turner Architects. Feb/July, 1975. Reference: Archives Investigator.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Residential-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Representative of a key later layer of the history of Darlinghurst.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Aesthetically significant as an unusual group of high-set two storey Edwardian terraces with a sandstone base and gabled towers projecting from the roofs.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Comparative analysis indicates that the terraces are typical, representative examples of the last phase of terrace development (Federation period, 1900-1914) in Darlinghurst before residential flats became popular.
Integrity/Intactness: Relatively intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I21814 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
South Sydney Heritage Study1993 Tropman & Tropman Architects  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written Ashton, Paul and Waterson, Duncan2000Sydney Takes Shape: A History in Maps
Written Attenbrow, Val2002Sydney Aboriginal Past: investigating the archaeological and historical records
Written Birmingham, John2000Leviathan
Written Broadbent, James1997The Australian Colonial House: Architecture and Society in New South Wales, 1788-1842
Written Faro, Clive2000Street Scene: A History of Oxford Street
Written Fitzgerald, Shirley1992Sydney, 1842-1992
Written Kelly, Max (ed.)1987Sydney: City of Suburbs
Written Pike, Douglas (ed.)1967The Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volumes 1 and 2
Written Spearritt, Peter1978Sydney Since the Twenties
Written Turbet, Peter2001The Aborigines of the Sydney District Before 1788
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City
WrittenCity of Sydney Rate and Valuation Records
WrittenCity of Sydney  Town Clerks Correspondence Files
WrittenWillsteed, Theresa (ed.)2002Villas of Darlinghurst

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2420327


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.