Terrace Group including interiors and front fences | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Terrace Group including interiors and front fences

Item details

Name of item: Terrace Group including interiors and front fences
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 130-136A Crown Street, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
130-136A Crown StreetDarlinghurstSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

130-136A Crown Street has local historic and aesthetic significance.

Built in c1895, it contains a a relatively late terrace development for the area. It was part of a large symmetrical terrace built as a single development by one owner, Sydney Burdekin, which extended from 116 to 136A Crown Street. Although demolition of five dwellings towards the northern end of the group ( Nos 118-126 Crown Street) has had a significant impact on the 'intactness' of the group, it retains its essential external architectural integrity within the overall composition. The remaining part of the building has aesthetic significance a good example of a Federation Arts and Crafts style terrace which forms an important feature in the streetscape of Crown Street. It demonstrates many of the features of the style including the rounded apex to the gable which has a pebble dash render, and face brickwork construction.
Date significance updated: 03 Feb 15
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The building at Nos 130-136A Crown Street is a two storey Federation Arts and Crafts style terrace. It demonstrates key aspects of the style including use of face brickwork, pebble dash render detailing in the front gables which have a rounded apex, and wrought iron balustrading. There are two interchanging types of façade treatment within the row, with front gabled terraces and those with pitched roofs. For most of the terraces in the group, the face brickwork has been painted.

Much of the original fabric and features to the street frontage remain including the wrought iron metalwork to the front palisade fences and to parts of the upper level balcony, the segmental arch opening to the recessed entry porch and half arch partition boundary wall to the street. The windows and doors also remain relatively intact. The windows to the ground floor street frontage are a pair of timber framed double hung sash windows. They feature an external timber awning which has exposed rafters, timber boards to the sides and decorative metal brackets, and a shared decorative rendered window sill spanning the two windows. The timber front entry doors are unusual and highly decorative. They feature a framed fanlight to the top half with decorative timber work to the top and bottom, and six timber panels to the lower half of the door.

The rear of the buildings is also very similar and largely intact. They largely retain their original "tunnel back" form. Single storey skillion roofed storage areas attached to the rear of the buildings have each been enclosed at an early date. Timber framed double hung sash windows are also featured on the northern side walls of the rear wings.
Modifications and dates: No. 134 Crown Street has been altered by the enclosure of the upper level balcony to the street frontage using timber lattice and fibro cement panels and louvred glass windows. At the rear, an aluminium framed sliding window has been added to the upper level rear elevation.

Most of the façade face brickwork of the group has been painted.
Further information: Under LEP 2012, 130-132 Crown Street and 134-136A Crown Street are separately listed. As they are part of the same building they should listed together as one item. It is intended that this will be rectified in a future amendment to LEP 2012. A single inventory report encompassing the building extending from 130-136A Crown Street has been prepared.

Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential and commercial
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: Historical Overview ( Based on Graham Brooks and Associates 1998)

The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.
.
The first land grant in the area was 100 acres on Woolloomooloo Bay granted to Commissary John Palmer in 1793. Palmers grant was immediately east of Sydney Common Grounds. To the east, a group of smaller grants were made to important colonists by Governor Darling for private residences. These included Edward Deas Thomson’s “Barham” and James Laidley’s “Rosebank”, both believed to be designed by John Verge, in the area between Darlinghurst Road and Bourke Street. Palmer built his residence at Woolloomooloo in 1801. As a farmer and grazier Palmer was a success and he subsequently became one of the pre-eminent land and stock holders in the colony. Palmer added to his holdings by purchasing farms in Surry Hills. He held the position of Commissary General until 1808 after which he returned to England to face an inquiry into the Rum Rebellion. While abroad, Palmer leased his land to Alexander Riley. On arrival back to Australia in May 1814 he found himself in increasing debt.

Upon his return, in order to meet his debts, Palmer sold his Woolloomooloo Estate to Ann Riley, Edward Riley’s wife, in 1822. When Edward committed suicide in 1825, the Estate was tied up with two conflicting wills. After years of litigation, the Riley Estate was eventually divided into seven parcels of land of equal value and raffled amongst the heirs. The Commission appointed to oversee this subdivision needed to create streets that would divide up the seven portfolios of blocks. This task was complicated by the Commission’s desire to confirm T.L. Mitchell’s plan for the streets within the bounds of the Riley Estate - especially Crown and Bourke Streets. The streets within the Riley Estate, including Crown Street, were finally proclaimed in 1848.

The 1854 Woolcott and Clarkes Map, shows much of the area north and south of William Street and Stanley Street as heavily developed yet the block in which the site is located is shown as vacant. This is similar again in a map by Hunt and Stephens, dated 1868. This latter map corresponds with the Sands Directory which indicates that the site was mainly vacant and known as Burdekin's Paddock, from the earliest Sands Directory in 1858-59 until 1882. In 1882 the Sands Directory recorded most of the properties along this section of street occupied. This date is too early for the current terrace of houses and it is assumed that small scale single storey semi-detached houses were located on the site.

The 1894 Directory shows once again the majority of the site to be unoccupied. This is a good indication that the current buildings were constructed in 1894-5, and this dates strongly with the character and style of the buildings.

In December 1895, the property comprising 116-136A Crown Street, was transferred to Sydney Burdekin as the surviving executor of the will of the late Rossley Burdekin. Rossley Burdekin was married to Ellen Caroline Kate Weekes in October 1860. The property at the time of the transfer was fully built upon, and fully occupied except for No 126 which was vacant. After this time, Sand Directory shows that the subject properties had numerous intermittent tenants who never stayed longer than a few years.

In June 1900, the property was transferred from Catherine Burdekin and James Allison, as executive and executor of Sydney Burdekin, to Norma Weekes Burdekin. The property was transferred again in February 1932 to Elinor Bossley Goodall, wife of Henry Arthur Goodall, Gentleman of Bognor, Sussex, England. And again in March 1954 to Arthur Henry Goodall, Gentleman of Double Bay.

The property, in part, was passed back again for a short periodto the Burdekin family when in February 1960 the land was transferred to Beaufort Burdekin, Barrister- at-law of Sydney, Hazel Berry Dalglesh, widow of Goulburn, and Alexander Hay Jenkins, Grazier of Narrandera, as tenants in common. In November 1961 the property was transferred to Osborne Investments P/L. The terraces were sold off individually after this time.

Originally a group of 12 terraces five of the terraces at Nos. 118-126 Crown Street, were demolished in c 1989 to make way for a six storey commercial and residential building.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building has historic significance as it dates from the key period of development of Darlinghurst and the subdivision of grand estates into residential and commercial development.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The terrace group has historic significance for its association with Sydney Burdekin, for whom the original group were constructed c.1895.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building retains its essential external architectural integrity within the overall composition. Although demolition of the five dwellings towards the northern end of the group has had a significant impact on the 'intactness' of the group, the remaining buildings have aesthetic significance as an important feature in the streetscape of Crown Street.The remaining terrace group has aesthetic significance as a good and largely intact example of terraced buildings built in Federation Arts and Crafts style.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The building is not rare.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative example of a Federations Arts and Crafts style terrace found in inner Sydney.
Integrity/Intactness: Moderate
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the façade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls. When the opportunity arises paint should be removed from the façade face brickwork using a method that does not damage the brickwork. The original tunnel back form of the rear wings of the group is to be retained.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I249 & I25014 Feb 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
South Sydney Heritage Study1993 Tropman & Tropman Architects  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City View detail
WrittenGraham Brooks adn Associates1998134-136 Crown Street, Darlinghurst Heritage Impact Statement

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2420356


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.