Terrace Group including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terrace Group including interiors

Item details

Name of item: Terrace Group including interiors
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 137-143 Cleveland Street, Darlington, NSW 2008
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
137-143 Cleveland StreetDarlingtonSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The terrace group at 119-143 Cleveland Street is a noteworthy group of Federation Arts and Craft style incorporating a high level of Art Nouveau detailing in its ironwork and decorative parapets. The group has an unusual level of urban design consideration in its planned symmetry and cornered stress emphasized by the opposing placement of corner shops. The site has historical associations with the early rural use of lands to the southwest of Blackwattle Creek, and part of land initially granted to William Hutchinson and demonstrates the urban consolidation of these rural lands to provide terrace housing for workers in the industrial complexes of Eveleigh, Chippendale and Golden Grove Estates, being the subject of a subdivision in 1892 by Samuel Elder.

The terrace group at 119-143 Cleveland Street is rare in the City for its urban design qualities, planned as a cohesive group with corner shops and terraced housing flanking either side of secondary streets, and for being an extensive intact group exhibiting a high level of Art Nouveau detailing.

The group demonstrates characteristics of early twentieth century urban planning and a regard for aesthetic detailing employed in the reforms of inner city worker housing.
Date significance updated: 10 Mar 16
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1913-1914
Physical description: A group of four two storey residential Federation Arts and Craft style terraces with corner shop at No 137. The corner shop is a mirror image of the corner shop at No. 135 on the opposite corner of Edward Street, and similarly the group is a mirror image of the terrace group at 117-135 Cleveland Street, except that the latter group is more extensive comprising 10 terraces. The two groups are designed in the Arts and Craft style with Art Nouveau detailing, red/brown face brick with rough cast reneder detailing to the upper level. The group have raised ground floor stone-paved verandahs with iron picket gates and fences and ascending stairs set parallel to the footpath. First floor front verandahs have Art Nouveau style iron balustrades and are accessed by asymmetrically placed door with double hung sidelight. The parapet rises to a substantial height above the first floor verandah roofs and is elaborately stepped in Art Nouveau form with curved parapet between capped pedestals. Front windows are double-hung sashes with multi-pane subdivisions and coloured patterned glass to the upper sash windows. Both groups have extensive two storey rear wings.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Highly intact although the face brickwork of numbers 137-143 has been painted. The multi-pane subdivisions and coloured patterned glass of the upper sash windows at No 141 have been removed. Nos 117-135 are highly intact, yet not listed as heritage items.
Date condition updated:27 Nov 09
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.

(Information sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/barani

The group is on land initially granted to William Hutchinson and the subject of a subdivision in 1892 by Samuel Elder. Documentary evidence supports construction of the terrace group at 117-143 Cleveland Street well after 1892. The Sands Directory for the southern side of Cleveland Street identifies a distinctive gap in addresses to the west of Vine Lane well into the twentieth century. Edward Street appears not to have extended through to Cleveland Street until after 1913. The first Sands Directory listing of the street and the terrace group appears in 1915.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the fa├žade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls. Encourage removal of paintwork and the reinstatement of tuck-pointing. Encourage conservation of verandah joinery, ironwork and stonework and the reinstatement of double-hung windows, multi-paned sashes and coloured glass. Nos 117-135 are a mirror image identical row and are highly intact, and should be individually listed as a heritage item.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I52714 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2420568


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.