Semi-detached House Group Including Interiors and Front Fences | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Semi-detached House Group Including Interiors and Front Fences

Item details

Name of item: Semi-detached House Group Including Interiors and Front Fences
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Semi-Detached House
Primary address: 108-110 Mallett Street, Camperdown, NSW 2050
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
108-110 Mallett StreetCamperdownSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The building is a good example of a pair of Federation semi-detached terraces which date from the key period of development for Camperdown and make a positive contribution to the streetscape.
Date significance updated: 08 Feb 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The building is a symmetrical pair of single storey Federation style semi-detached houses constructed of face brickwork with terra cotta tiled roof. The front verandahs feature solid brick balustrades and timber fretwork.

The building is set back from the street with small front gardens and dwarf brick front fence with entry gates. Tiled paths lead from the entry gatesof each semi to steps to the verandah and front door.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
In good condition with a high degree of original fabric intact.
Date condition updated:21 Dec 10
Modifications and dates: No. 108 - Security screen door, windows altered, security bars
No. 110 - Aluminium windows, security bars, front door replaced
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today.

An area of 240 acres was first granted by Governor Philip Gidley King to Captain William Bligh on 10 August 1806, 3 days before Bligh assumed the office of Governor. Bligh named this land "Camperdown" in commemoration of the English naval victory over the Dutch at the Battle of Camperdown in 1797 in which he was decorated. By 1810 all the available land in the area has been taken up in grants. Although the land was allocated to more than 30 people it was rapidly consolidated into large estates. The first subdivision of Bligh’s grant took place in 1841 when Bligh’s estate was auctioned by Samuel Lyons. The are was further subdivided into the O’Connell Town Estate in 1843. In 1862 Camperdown was incorporated as a Municipality, but due to financial difficulties did not operate until 1868. Council did not receive sufficient income to cover extensive drainage works required due to large non rate paying land holdings such as The University of Sydney and 2 major hospitals. Some of the streets were renamed in 1878 when Camperdown Rd became Church St because of the 2 churches in the area. The area began to develop in the late 19th century with the most important local industry being Fowler’s Potteries which operated from 1848 -1919 and Bonds Industries from 1918 - 1990. Camperdown Municipality was absorbed within the City of Sydney in 1908. Mallett Street was originally known as Parkes St until 1913.

The building was constructed c 1915.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Terrace-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building dates from the key period of development for Camperdown.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is a good example of a pair of Federation style semi -detached terraces and demonstrates many of the features of the style including the use of face brickwork and fretwork, and the main roof clad in terracotta tiles.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The building has potential for further research primarily related to the history of occupants.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The building is not rare.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a representative example of a pair of Federation semi-datached terraces found in the inner suburbs of Sydney.
Integrity/Intactness: Externally high.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the façade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls. The face brickwork is not to be rendered, painted or coated.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney Local Environmental Plan 201216114 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2420957


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.