Terrace House "Verulam" including interior and front fence | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terrace House "Verulam" including interior and front fence

Item details

Name of item: Terrace House "Verulam" including interior and front fence
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 284 Moore Park Road, Paddington, NSW 2021
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
284 Moore Park RoadPaddingtonSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

"Verulam" is a mid-Victorian terrace, dating from the key period of development for Paddington, which has been modified by the addition of a highly unusual and rare decorative Federation Queen Anne style façade which enclosed the front verandah.

The building, as part of a row of terrace housing, makes a strong contribution to the streetscape of Moore Park Road. The rear stables provides evidence of the importance of horse transportation in Paddington in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Date significance updated: 07 Jan 16
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Original House: John Joseph Davey
Construction years: 1874-1911
Physical description: The site contains a three storey Victorian terrace house with a later Federation Queen Anne style façade, and a two storey stables to the rear.

The house is set back is setback 4m from the front boundary, 3m from the western side boundary and is built to the eastern boundary. There is a 1200mm high Victorian cast iron palisade fence with sandstone piers and base to the street. The building has retained its historic context.

The Federation Queen Anne style façade is a rare example of a later overlay of a Victorian terrace. The façade features face brickwork at ground floor level with a large arched window with upper sashes divided into square panes with coloured glass and a recessed porch leading to a three panelled front door. The enclosed verandah at first floor level is highly decorative with windows, spandrels, columns and a shingled apron.

The main roof has a Mansard form, with a front gabled dormer containing two windows, with the upper sashes having square panes. The roof has been reclad with concrete tiles.

There is a two storey rear services wing.

The two storey stable adjoining Leinster Street dates from the early 20th century and it replaced an earlier timber stable. It is of brick construction with a corrugated metal roof. Most of the openings have been altered overtime.

The interior of the main part of the house retains much of its Victorian detailing including timber joinery and plaster work, and the first floor bedrooms retain their Victorian chimney pieces with marble surrounds. The lounge was extended to the west with an additional bay containing the fire place built in the early 20th century. At the same time, the service rear wing was extended by one room at ground and first floors and refitted. The narrow sunroom at ground floor south-west corner appears to be a post war extension using Federation windows from another building.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building is in a deteriorated condition and is in need of restoration and painting.
Date condition updated:12 Apr 12
Modifications and dates: Two storey brick stables constructed by 1906.
By 1911, the verandahs has been enclosed, a Federation Queen Anne style façade added and rear extensions to service wing constructed.
Post war:
- sun room at the south-west corner of ground floor added
- main roof reclad with concrete tiles to imitate slate
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The subject site was part of Sydney Common which was proclaimed in 1811 and dedicated as a Common of 490 acres on 5 October 1866 under the Sydney Commons Improvement Act of 1866 under which Sydney Council was appointed as trustees. This Act followed lobbying by Council to empower it to sell a portion of the Sydney Common and to spend the money raised on improving the remainder of the Common. The site, Lot 16 of Block P of Sydney Common,was conveyed on 8 May 1872 from the Municipal Council of Sydney to Thomas Baynes of Victoria Barracks, Captain of the Defence Corps. Capt Baynes subsequently commissioned architect John Joseph Davey to design a house to be erected on the land. The house was completed by the beginning of 1875 - Mrs Baynes of Victoria Barracks advertised it to be let in February and again in April, describing it as follows " Six rooms, kitchen, laundry, cellars, etc. lying opposite the rifle butts ( SMH 2/2/1875 p10, and 24/4/1875, p12)."

The 1877 City of Sydney Assessment Book named Capt Baynes as owner and M Forester (sic) as occupier of the house constructed in brick and slate of three floors and seven rooms, valued at 80 pounds. Forrester is named in the Sands Directory of 1879 as residing in Park Road at Verulam Villa. He was succeeded by William C Barker, merchant, who resided there until 1883.The house was then leased to a succession of tenants.

In 1901 James Duffy purchased the property (Evening News 10/8/1901 p5) and he is listed in Sands Directory as living there until 1906 when the house was advertised to be let, comprising a detached residence, nine rooms and out offices, conservatory, garden, coach house and stable (SMH 15/8/1906 p 3)

The house underwent significant alterations, especially to the Moore Park Road façade after 1900 although the exact details have not been uncovered during research. A new brick stable was built on the property which replaced a timber stable - it was not shown in the 1894 detail survey plan and not indicated in the 1901 Assessment Books, but is described in later editions of the Assessment Books.

The narrow sunroom at the ground floor south-west corner appears to be a post- war extension using Federation windows from another building.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site has historic significance as it dates from the early subdivision of Sydney Common and the key period of development of Paddington. The rear stables provides evidence of the importance of horse transportation in Paddington in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The façade is a good example of Federation Queen Anne style and demonstrates many of the key elements of the style including decorative timberwork and multi pane timber double hung windows with coloured glazing. The building, as part of a row of terrace housing, makes a strong contribution to the streetscape of Moore Park Road.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The highly decorative Federation Queen Anne style façade is rare within the City of Sydney Council Area.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a representative example of an altered mid - Victorian terrace with a Federation Queen Anne style façade found in the inner city areas of Sydney and Paddington. At the rear of the property is a representative example of an early 20th century stables building in Paddington.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The main house, front fence and rear stables should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the site prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the house and stables, and no alterations to the front façade of the house other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls. The concrete tiles to the main roof of the house should be replaced with more appropriate cladding.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I107814 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
South Sydney Heritage Study1993 Tropman & Tropman Architects  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City View detail
WrittenNBRS and Partners2015Statement of Heritage Impact - Verulam, 284 Moore Park Road, Paddington

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2421005


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.