Terrace Group and interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terrace Group and interiors

Item details

Name of item: Terrace Group and interiors
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 36-48 Taylor Street, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
36-48 Taylor StreetDarlinghurstSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The terrace at 36-48 Taylor Street has local historic and aesthetic significance. It dates from a key period of the development of Darlinghurst. It is a fine example of a Federation style terrace which is a prominent element in the streetscape of Taylor Street.
Date significance updated: 21 Oct 16
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A two storey Federation style terrace house group of seven dwellings. It features a rendered brick façade with and a low pitched roof and rendered chimneys, behind a rendered brick parapet with three pediments.

For each dwelling, at ground floor level there is timber framed double hung window and a timber front door set within a recessed arched entry. At first floor level, there is an arched opening with a timber framed casement window and fixed highlight with coloured glass. All openings have arched label moulds above.

The terrace was built with single storey skillion wings with rendered chimneys some of which within the group have been modified.

Internally significant features include the original room layout, early fire places, timber joinery and the original timber stairs.
Modifications and dates: No 38 - Demolish rear toilet and bathroom, extend kitchen to bathoorm, alterations & additions to terrace including new first floor bedroom with small balcony (D/1996/739).

No 40- construct a first floor timber deck and stairs to the rear of the heritage listed property, with 1.8metre high timber lattice privacy screens to the eastern and western elevations (D/2013/310).

No 48 - Extend roof over walkway to rear yard and add bathroom to dwelling (D/1992/692).
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: Historical Overview
This site forms part of the land of the Gadigal people, the traditional custodians of land within the City of Sydney council boundaries. For information about the Aboriginal history of the local area see the City’s Barani website: http://www.sydneybarani.com.au/

The site is part of 70 acres granted to John Palmer on April 1794. Palmer arrived in New South Wales on the First Fleet as purser of the flagship Sirius. On 2 June 1791 he was appointed the colony’s Commissary. Palmer’s competence and discretion in his official duties, combined with his agreeable personal characteristics, elevated him to a privileged place in colonial society while his business and agricultural affairs prospered over the following years. Palmer was appointed a magistrate in 1793. He allied himself with Governor Bligh when opposition to the Governor in certain influential sections of the community became manifest and was subsequently imprisoned after Bligh was deposed. Palmer was reinstated by Governor Macquarie but between 1810 and 1814 was in England as a witness for Bligh. On his return to Sydney he found his private affairs in a parlous state. Accordingly the colony’s Sheriff ordered the sale of his Surry Hills Estate by auction on 1 October 1814.

The triangular Lot 6 that shows on surveyor James Meehan’s subdivision of Palmer’s estate, which was bounded by the road to the South Head (later Oxford Street), Botany Street (later Flinders Street) and the Sydney Common (South Dowling Street lay well into the future), was acquired by James Chisholm and his wife Mary. It was subsequently subdivided and sold.

Development in the area immediately surrounding the site was given a boost by the construction of the Darlinghurst Gaol (completed 1841) and courthouse (completed 1844). The owners of the exclusive villa estates created on the Darlinghurst Heights also began to subdivide and sell their land in the 1840s. Over the following decades, the area became a densely developed residential, commercial and industrial sector.

Taylor Street is shown on the Woolcottt and Clarke's Map of 1854, but not labelled, by which time several small lots are shown on the northern side of the street. The 1865 Trignometrcial Survey shows the subject site vacant, although the outlines of buildings on both the northern and southern side of the street are shown.

The City of Sydney Assessment Books indicate that the land on which 36-48 Taylor Street stood was vacant until at least 1900. The Sands Directory first lists the terrace in the 1902 edition giving a construction date of c 1901. By 1907 the terrace was owned by Richard Wootton, an absentee landlord, who retained ownership until about 1911. During this time the Assessment Books consistently describes the terraces on the site as being of brick construction with iron roofs and containing five rooms. Tenants changed on a regular basis. The terrace of seven brick houses was offered for sale in the Sydney Morning Herald of 17 February 1912. By 1918 the terrace was owned by Edward Bolger, also an absentee landlord. By 1930 the terrace was sold to Clifford R.O. Lawes who retained ownership until at least 1948.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the façade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I47114 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
South Sydney Heritage Study1993 Tropman & Tropman Architects  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City View detail
WrittenRod Howard and Associates2008Palace Hotel, Statement of Heritage Impact
WrittenWeir Phillips Heritage2016Heritage Impact Statement - 46 Taylor Street, Darlinghurst

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2421337


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.