Terrace House "Edina" Including Interior and Front Fence | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terrace House "Edina" Including Interior and Front Fence

Item details

Name of item: Terrace House "Edina" Including Interior and Front Fence
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 75 Victoria Street, Potts Point, NSW 2011
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
75 Victoria StreetPotts PointSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The site is associated with the subdivision of the original land grants and the subsequent building of grand terrace houses for the middle classes in the late 1800s. It is also historically significant as the subject of 1970s green bans and representative of the twentieth century history of resident activism and the heritage conservation movement. The façade of Edina is a fine representative example of the Victorian Italianate style applied to a terrace.
Date significance updated: 13 Dec 07
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Three storey Victorian Italianate style terrace house. The façade is of rendered brick construction with a front floor balcony set between projecting party walls and featuring a cast iron balustrade. There is a front parapet with decorative pediment and the parapet detailing extends to the side walls. At ground floor level there is a bay window with engaged columns and flattened arches. The verandah is embellished by a cast iron column, valence and balustrade.

There is a iron palisade fence between classically inspired masonry pillars.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Façade is in fair condition.
Date condition updated:13 Dec 07
Modifications and dates: The rear wing has been demolished and the original rear garden has been come part of the apartment complex known as " Victoria Point".
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today.

The first land grant in the area, of 30 acres covering today's Potts Point, was made to Patrick Walsh, an Irish ex-convict, in 1809. Governor Macquarie revoked that land grant in 1822, granting the land instead to Mr. Drennan. Later the land was brought back under Crown control for the establishment of huts for local aboriginal people. Governor Macquarie gave the name Elizabeth Town to the area after his wife. After Macquarie's departure, Elizabeth Town was divided into land grants for important public servants who were encouraged to build grand villas. These included Sir John Wylde Judge Advocate, 1822 and Alexander Macleay, Colonial Secretary. The final name of the area Potts Point came from association with Joseph Hyde Potts, Clerk of the Bank of NSW, who purchased six and a half acres in the area.

East of Forbes Street lay several estates that extended down the escarpment from Potts Point including E. Hallam’s grant, Judge Stephen’s grant and the Tusculum Estate. Judge James Dowling received an 8 acre land grant in 1831 bounded by William Street, Dowling Street and Victoria Street and built Brougham Lodge on his property. He allocated some of his grant for the formation of streets such as Victoria Street, Duke Street and McElhone Street. His estate was subdivided in 1846. The line of Victoria Street is shown on Edward Hallens Plan of 1842.

Subdivision of A. Campbell’s Estate occurred in 1849 and included lots in Macleay, Victoria, Brougham and Forbes Street. Brougham Lodge was located on Victoria Street and was subdivided into 22 allotments.

The Tivoli Estate of 1867, the Challis Estate of 1889 and various smaller subdivisions along Victoria Street represent the earliest layer of intensive residential development in the area. Subdivision of the early mansion estates occurred in the early twentieth century with Tusculum Estate 1901, Campbell Lodge Estate 1910, Grantham Estate 1922, and Orwell House Estate 1921. Many of the grand houses of the period remained until the 1930’s when they were replaced by flat buildings. A further group were demolished in the 1960’s , including Tarmons on the site of St Vincent's College. Only four sites with grand villas remain in the precinct today.

During the 20th century, the area evolved into a bohemian enclave populated with Sydney’s artists, writers and other like minded individuals. The unique character of this area was all but lost by the 1960s, as the American soldiers and sailors on rest and recreation leave in Australia during WWII and the Vietnam War encouraged its present character. The area became home to Sydney’s sex industry, was populated with gambling venues and was notorious during the 1980s for its stories of corruption and underworld crime. Recently the sex industry has started to move to the suburbs and the Casino in Pyrmont has removed much of the gambling activity.

In the 1970s Potts Point became the focus of green bans over development plans for Victoria Street which were lodged in October 1971. Many residents on the city side of the street had already moved out, as the principal developer, Frank Theeman's Victoria Point Pty. Ltd. offered them favourable terms. The NSW Builders and Labourers Federation imposed green bans in sympathy with local resident activists, including the murdered Juanita Nielson who lived in Victoria Street. They opposed the demolition of the area's historic terrace housing and there was a protracted battle with the developers until 1976, when the green bans were lifted. A new plan called for the restoration of 22 of the 32 houses in conjunction with a 10 storey complex located to the east behind them.

The site is located on there original land grant made to John Busby in 1828. John Verge started plans for Busby' is house, Rockwell, and a cottage in 1930. By the early 1830s Busby found himself in financial difficulties and was forced to sell his grant to Hamilton Collins Sempill, a grazier and merchant. Verge altered the existing plans for Smepoill and supervised the works through to completion in 1837.

The site is first listed in the Sands Directory of 1885 and the outline of the building is shown on the 1885 Sydney Metropolitan Detail Series Map, Section F.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Terrace-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site has be ability to demonstated the early development of Potts Point through the subdivision of the original land grants and the subsequent building of grand terrace houses for the middle classes in the late 1800s. It is also significant for being subject of 1970s green bans and representative of the twentieth century history of resident activism and the heritage conservation movement.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The façade is fine example of the Victorian Italianate style
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The façade is a representative example of the Victorian Italianate style applied to a terrace.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the façade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I116814 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2421384


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.