Terrace House (28 Lower Fort Street) including interior | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Terrace House (28 Lower Fort Street) including interior

Item details

Name of item: Terrace House (28 Lower Fort Street) including interior
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Location: Lat: -33.8585521806419 Long: 151.205940013104
Primary address: 24-42 Lower Fort Street, Dawes Point, NSW 2000
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
24-42 Lower Fort StreetDawes PointSydney  Primary Address
28 Lower Fort StreetMillers PointSydney  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

No. 28 Lower Fort Street, constructed c. 1860, has historic, aesthetic, social and representative significance as an example of a characteristic mid-Victorian terrace, demonstrating the early development of Lower Fort Street as a residential neighbourhood in the mid to late nineteenth century, and more broadly, the growth of Sydney and the maritime industry at Millers Point. The terrace retains its principal façade with cast iron balustrade on the ground floor. However, the terrace has been substantially modified internally, and only the front principal rooms and front section of the ground floor hallway remain, with significance being limited to these areas. Overall significance has been eroded due to extensive modifications and removal of fabric.

No.26 was constructed by the NSW Department of Housing 1991 and reflects government provision of social housing at the time and has little heritage significance.
Date significance updated: 10 May 18
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The terrace at No. 28 was constructed circa 1860, while No. 26 is of contemporary construction (1991) in a referential style sympathetic to the original terrace. Internally, No. 26 and No. 28 have been amalgamated into a single building which contains seven individual residential units. Entry to the building is via No. 28. Despite this internal amalgamation, No. 26 and No. 28 present aesthetically as two individual terrace dwellings to the Lower Fort Street streetscape.

No. 26 is a mid- Victorian (c1860) two storey terrace with traditional pitched roof and two storey timber verandah with decorative cast iron lace balustrades and corrugated galvanised roof, sandstone flags are present to the ground floor verandah under a concrete screed. The masonry façade is a stucco finish with imitation ashlar coursing and a sandstone sub floor to the external walls. The font façade consists of a four panelled timber door with fanlight; timber double hung window to the ground floor and French doors with fanlights to the first floor leading onto the verandah. The rear of the building is entirely 1991 construction with the only original fabric surviving is the hallway and walls of the principal front rooms to both levels the majority of joinery to the front façade however floors and ceilings have been replaced.

No. 28 is a three storey modern infill building constructed in 1991 in referential style to the
Conservation area, access to the property is via the front door of No. 28 via a central hall and stairwell. Its façade is painted brick in stretcher bond with timber French doors and double hung windows. The timber verandah has a contemporary steel balustrade to the ground floor and decorative replica lace balustrade to the first floor. The third floor has semi dormer style windows grounded in half height walls and a pitched roof with corrugated galvanised steel roofing.
Further information: No. 28 has been identified as an individual item of local and state heritage significance on both the Sydney Local Environmental Plan (LEP) (Item No. I546) and the State Heritage Register (SHR) (Listing No. 00881).

No. 26, is contemporary infill construction and has been incorrectly listed as part of No. 24 Lower Fort Street (which is an entirely separate dwelling located to the north of No. 26) on both the Sydney LEP 2012 (Item No. I545) and the SHR (Listing No. 00852).

Internally, No. 26 and No. 28 have been amalgamated into a single building which contains seven individual residential units.

No 28 was listed as a heritage item in 1989, and remains so since that time.

Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: This site forms part of the land of the Gadigal people, the traditional custodians of land within the City of Sydney council boundaries. For information about the Aboriginal history of the local area see the City’s Barani website: http://www.sydneybarani.com.au/

The subject site comprises two conjoined terraces. The southern terrace (No. 28) is a traditional mid- Victorian terrace constructed c.1860, while the northernmost terrace (26 Lower Fort Street) is an attached infill extension, constructed in 1991 on the formerly vacant lot, to match the traditional form and scale of its Victorian neighbours. Access from the street to the two terraces is via number 28. Until1991 when the infill building was constructed at 26 Lower Fort Street, the two properties had been separate allotments under different ownership.

No. 26
Within months of being granted the land in Fort Street in 1834-5, Lyons had subdivided it and sold allor part of it to the merchant Henry Moore. In 1838 Moore sold Lot 15, an allotment including 24 and 26Lower Fort Street (26 forms part of the subject site) to William Ranken Scott, a well-knownbusinessman and partner in the merchant company Lyall, Scott & Co (later Scott, Henderson & Co). Scott arrived in the colony in c1830, received his first land grant in 1831 and was living in Fort Street
by 1832.

The terrace at 24 Lower Fort Street was built for William Ranken Scott in the late 1830s, with the subject site forming part of the yard. The two storey early Victorian townhouse of Georgianappearance with attic roof was one of the first on the east side of Lower Fort Street. In 1841, RankenScott acquired a small part of Lot 14, to the north of number 24 and in 1849 he acquired additionalland to the south, part of Lot 16 from Frederick Unwin (now occupied by the subject terrace at 26 Lower Fort Street). William Wallis is believed to have built the pair of townhouses to the north at No.20-22 Lower Fort Street in 1841-43. Ranken Scott lived at 24 Lower Fort Street until 1873 andprogressively developed his various properties. The land at 26 & 28 Lower Fort Street remainedvacant until approximately 1860 when construction began on 28 Lower Fort Street. 26 Lower FortStreet was occupied by ancillary shed buildings in the 19th century plans which were associated with the house at 24 Lower Fort Street.

In 1873 Scott sold the property at 24 Lower Fort Street, later known as ‘Claremont’, to Thomas Hely. The purchase included Claremont and the yard (vacant land) at Number 26. Hely owned and constructed other properties in Millers Point and lived in the house for a few years before selling to prominent Millers Point landholder James Merriman in 1876. After Merriman’s death the house at number 24 reverted to his daughter Fanny Delgardo and her estate still owned the property when it was resumed in 1902 under the Rocks Resumption. At the time of the resumption, the vacant No.26 is recorded as being owned by Blanche Louise, with the extent of the lot being noted as the foot of thecliffs.

The Department of Housing lodged a Development Application (DA 44/87/1769) to erect a new three storey infill building at No. 26 Lower Fort Street in conjunction with alterations and additions to 28 Lower Fort Street to provide seven one bedroom Units. Consent was granted in 1988. However, by the late1980s 20% of the housing stock in the Millers Point and Dawes Point precinct was vacant and Housing NSW proposed a number of properties in Millers Point for sale in 1989 including 26 & 28 Lower Fort Street. The Hero of Waterloo was sold, but some of the others passed in at Auction due to lack of interest and all remaining properties were withdrawn from sale. Construction began on the infill terrace in 1990 along with alterations to the adjoining number 28. Works were completed the following year.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
28 Lower Fort Street has historical significance at a local and state level as a two storey (highly modified) mid-Victorian terrace constructed c1860. The erection of the terrace reflects the significant development of the area during this early period and in particular Lower Fort Street’s development to house Sydney’s merchants, businessmen and professionals.

The subject site also demonstrate early property speculation by succesfulbusinessmen and merchants of Sydney.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
28 Lower Fort Street has associative significance for its association with wellknown local personalities, Samuel Lyons, Henry Moore, William Ranken Scott, Sir John Young, Thomas Hely and James Merriman, Captain William Hay, some of whom were involved in speculative development and owned and built a number of properties in the area.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
28 Lower Fort Street has aesthetic significance at a local level as an example of a mid-Victorian terrace which is characteristic of the local area. It retains its principal façade with cast iron balustrade on the ground floor. It is highly modified internally and only the front principal rooms and hallway sections remain
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
he house at No 28, as part of Lower Fort Sreet., is held in high esteem by the local Miller Point Community as well as the wider NSW community.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The principal terrace façade and form of No 28 has representative significance as a characteristic mid-Victorian terrace found in inner Sydney.
Integrity/Intactness: The terrace at No 28 is highly modified internally and only the layout of the front room and front section of hall remain. Overall significance has been eroded due to extensive modification and removal of fabric.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the façade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I54614 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Conservation Management Guidelines NSW Dept of Housing Properties Millers Point2004 NSW Department of Housing  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City View detail
WrittenShirley Fitzgerald & Christopher Keating1991Millers Point : the urban village
WrittenURBIS201626-28 Lower Fort Street, Conservation Management Plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2423641


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.