Former "Farmers and Graziers No 2" Including Interior | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Former "Farmers and Graziers No 2" Including Interior

Item details

Name of item: Former "Farmers and Graziers No 2" Including Interior
Other name/s: Millers Self Storage Ultimo Depot
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Warehouse/storage area
Location: Lat: -33.8809494988081 Long: 151.196614583468
Primary address: 492-516 Jones Street, Ultimo, NSW 2007
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
492-516 Jones StreetUltimoSydney  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The building dates from one of the key period of layers for the development of woolstores in Ultimo/Pyrmont as a direct result of subdivision of the Harris and Macarthur Estates. It is a good example of a Inter War warehouse which makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.

Date significance updated: 08 Sep 05
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.


Construction years: 1935-1935
Physical description: The former Farmers and Graziers No 2 Woolstore, built in 1935, to expand the capacity of the Farmers and Graziers No 1 Woolstore, provides evidence of wool handling and storage in the inter-war period. The growth of the pastoral industry and the export of wool in Australia in the nineteenth century through to the middle of the twentieth century, was central to the development of Australia's economy.

A four storey face brick Woolstore fronting Jones Street, it features a rendered cornice to the parapet and each of the building corners to Jones Street has a rendered blank inscription panel at parapet level and a moulded emblem including the date, 1935, to the pediment above. The entrance is styled as a Classical portico, with moulded columns on each side supporting a cornice and entablature. Internally, timber floors are carried on hardwood timber posts and beams. A modest and refined example of the1930s warehouse architecture. Shares classical detailing and proportions with its contemporary, the Goldsbrough Mort Woolstore yet the latter is of a much grander scale.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
In good condition with a high degree of original fabric intact internally and externally and high potential for restoration.
Date condition updated:08 Sep 05
Modifications and dates: The building has been adaptively used as a storage facility since 1977.
Further information: Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Warehouse
Former use: Warehouse, Offices


Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.

(Information sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City )

The first land grants were made in 1803 and 1806 to Surgeon John Harris who was granted 34 acres and then constructed and named Ultimo House in 1804. He named it Ultimo (meaning last month) as a result of a clerical error in his charge papers. There were further grants to Harris of 9 and 135 acres in 1806 and another 12 acres in 1818. He moved to his farm at Shanes Park (near St Marys) in 1821 but retained the estate and leased Ultimo House first to Edward Riley and then to Justice Stephen.

Proposed improvements along the first few miles of Parramatta Rd prompted subdivision by Harris along the Parramatta Rd and George Street frontages, and these were developed into houses, shops and public houses over the next 10 years. The remainder of the estate remained largely undeveloped and following Harris’ death in 1838, legal complications prevented further subdivision until 1859. Ultimo was incorporated into the City of Sydney in 1844 and the early 1850’s saw a number of major developments in Pyrmont and also in Ultimo to a lesser extent. Its close proximity to the city’s expanding central business district, Brisbane Distillery port and transport facilities made it an attractive area for housing. In 1853, the Sydney Railway Company resumed 14½ acres of the Ultimo Estate for a railway line to and with a terminus at Darling Harbour. The area was further subdivided in 1860 which established major north/south streets including Pyrmont, Harris, Jones and Wattle Streets although the roads were not fully formed until 1870. The west side of the estate was dominated by quarrying activities and the remainder used for dairying paddocks. Services including water and sewer came to the area in the early 1860’s and gas lighting between 1868 & 1872.

The population doubled during this time, and industry began to establish including Castlemaine Brewery in Quarry Street, Atlas Ironworks, and manufacturer and merchant Samuel Freeman in Harris Street. The early 1880’s saw a boom in housing in the area followed by Goldsborough Mort’s woolstores in 1883 and other substantial warehouse buildings including a large grain and produce store in Allen St, Waite & Bull’s woolstore in 1893, Winchcombe Carson No.1 in 1895 (in Wattle St) and Farmers and Graziers (between Wattle and Jones Sts). In 1892 the Ultimo Technical College opened in Mary Ann St. By the early 1880’s Union Square was established as a commercial centre and by 1900 most residential development had ceased by which time the Pyrmont and Ultimo Power Houses had opened and the new Pyrmont Bridge had been constructed. Most development in the 20th century was commercial and industrial and included additional woolstores, Pyrmont Incinerator (1934) , flour mills (1940) , additional power stations (1955) and the Government Printing Office (1960’s).

The first established Woolstore was in 1883 by Goldsbrough and Company. Following Goldbrough's lead, the establishment of woolstores in Ultimo was rapid with twenty new stores built over the next fifty years. The firms of R.B Walker, Geddes, Waite and Bull, Winchombe and Carson Company and Farmer and Graziers were established by the end of the nineteenth century. The development of the wool industry lead to the construction of wharves and rail systems around Darling Harbour and the transfer of the warehousing and auctioning side of the wool trade in Sydney. The expansion of the wool industry during the latter half of the nineteenth century was enormous and was reflected in the scale, location and concentration of woolstores in Pyrmont and Ultimo. The Former Farmer and Grazier No 2 Woolstore was built in 1935 on Jones Street to further expand the operations of the Farmers and Graziers No 1 Woolstore opposite. In 1977 the No 2 Woolstore was being used as a commercial storage business and is known as the Ultimo Depot of Miller's Self Storage.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building has historic significance as it dates from the key period of development of woolstores in Pyrmont/Ultimo and the subdivision of grand estates into residential and commercial development.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The building is associated with the wool industry.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building has aesthetic significance as a good example of an Inter War warehouse which demonstrates many of the key aspects of the style.
SHR Criteria f)
The building is rare as it is one of the last constructed in the area.
SHR Criteria g)
The building is a representative example of an Inter War woolstore building found in Ultimo/Pyrmont and the inner suburbs of Sydney.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Conservation Mangement Plan and Heritage Impact Statement should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the facade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including - but not limited to - structural members, warehouse goods handling infrastructure ( lifts, ramps, slides etc), roof structure, vertical circulation (lifts and stairs), joinery, flooring should be retained and conserved. The upper floor level beneath the diagonal saw tooth roof should remain as an open warehouse space and should not be partitioned and no mezzanine should be inserted. Any other additions and alterations should be confined to areas of less significance and shall be in accordance with the Sydney Heritage Development Control Plan.


Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney Local Environmental Plan 2012I204214 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Pyrmont/Ultimo Heritage Study1990 Anglin Associates  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Shillito & Nield, "Woolstore....."Architecture Study Report. University of Sydney. 1976. Central Sydney Regional Environmental Plan REP26.
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2424383

Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.